Kitty Hawk Model 1/32 P-39Q/N

LSP_Kevin

Thanks for sink hole update an Alain tip Maybe when l start the kit eduard already lauched a PE set.

@Kevin HGW seatbelt already released a set dor the KH Cobra. As well as Dream Model 32002 PE set for the cockpit is available in stores. Maybe its useful for you.

@Kevin HGW seatbelt already released a set dor the KH Cobra. As well as Dream Model 32002 PE set for the cockpit is available in stores. Maybe its useful for you.

Thanks for the heads-up, Urs. I wonder if the new HGW set is just their old one for the SH kit, but rebranded for the KH kit. Not that it matters; I just don't see how, if they're the same aircraft in the same scale, you'd need two distinct sets.

In any case, I'll check them out, as at this stage, they're the only upgrade I'm planning. I'm hoping to keep this one as close to OOB as possible.

Kev

The new set is Lazer cut. I don't know it was the case with old SH belts.

Ah, good point! I hadn't thought of that. I'll keep an eye on my local supplier, and hope they can get one for me in time. I don't plan to hang around with this one!

Kev

Well, at Alan's suggestion, I test-fitted the part in situ, to see if the sink mark in particular would be visible:

TYmd57.jpg

Not really! Here's another look through the open engine bay, just in case:

jY8qGD.jpg

On that basis, I'm not going to bother filling it.

Kev

This is a great kit!! Looking good Kev!!

Cheers

Alan

Ernie, the plastic is indeed very soft, and it's quite easy to go too far when trimming and sanding, unfortunately. If I remember, I'll post a photo of the gap I managed to create on the bottom of the fuselage halves, just from filing down the sprue attachment lug. My exhaust stubs are covered in scars caused by the removal process, and I'll have to do quite a bit of remedial work before they're ready to go on the model.

Kev

Will be following this one for sure! I came this close to pulling this one out and starting on it.

One quick note - you might want to consider filling in the rivets on the cockpit doors. First because they're overdone compared to the rest of the aircraft (kinda like the ammo doors on Trumpy's P-47). Second, because every picture I've seen of a P-39 cockpit door shows it smooth.

blog-p-63_mg_1091.jpg?w=600&h=400

Will be following this one for sure! I came this close to pulling this one out and starting on it.

One quick note - you might want to consider filling in the rivets on the cockpit doors. First because they're overdone compared to the rest of the aircraft (kinda like the ammo doors on Trumpy's P-47). Second, because every picture I've seen of a P-39 cockpit door shows it smooth.

blog-p-63_mg_1091.jpg?w=600&h=400

Thanks, Matt. I'll consider it, but right now I'm thinking of every feasible shortcut I can take with this build. I don't want to rush it, but I'm also determined that this one won't bog down and languish on the workbench for months - like most of my other builds!

Kev

I know that feeling all too well! Planning a similar approach to my F-104.

And yet, I've already had to repaint the cockpit! I thought I'd try the black basing on the interior, but it's a much more difficult approach with dark colours, and after 20 minutes of mottling on some Bronze Green over the black base, the cockpit floor still looked black! So I decided to lighten the Bronze Green to see if that was more effective, but after another 20 minutes, it just looked grey! I couldn't win that one, so I oversprayed the lot with straight Bronze Green, and I'll use my normal drybrushing and washes to get the effect I'm after. I may still try lightening it up a bit, though, as it still looks too dark, compared to a test I did over bare plastic.

Kev

Looking foward to this one, Kitty Hawk have some very interesting subjects but so far yet to dive in and try myself.

Regards. Andy

Thanks, Andy. Good to have you aboard! I've only built the Texan so far, which was fun, but had its moments.

Kev