Phantom P-51D "Double Nuthin"

Out2gtcha

Engine prepped for paint with some stretched sprue on the intake bottom, as the OOB raised detail did NOT line up what so ever. The little electric motor that swings the prop is buried inside and tested with a C battery:

DSC04152.jpg

DSC04153.jpg

Got to work straight away on all the various bits and bobs................for once I let myself not be so concerned with accuracy, perfect sanding and filling or gluing, I just had fun with it. Im not done really with any of this, but you can see by the pic, I have now attached the OOB Monogram .50 cal blast tubes to the Tamiya .50 bodies, and also cannibalized the .50 cal ammo bays as well. This meant i had to move the gun bays slightly back a bit, but I just added some card to the bays which were drying off camera:

DSC04154.jpg

Aires fuel cell and radio equipment painted:

DSC04155.jpg

DSC04156.jpg

I also managed to get the prop masked for the yellow tip markers and shot some flat yellow:

DSC04157.jpg

This will all get a clear coat, and then a wash of different color depending on what/where it is.

All for now, but hopefully will have lots more time over the coming long weekend.

Cheers!

Thanks guys!  This one is turning out to be SO relaxing and SO much fun. I have just been reminding myself time and time again, that this is an OFFICE BUILD; IE For my office and those that see it are likely no more to identify the inaccurate from the accurate on a P-51, as they are to know what an empennage is.  

So, keeping that all in mind this is a mix of mostly inaccurate fantasy with bits and pieces of reality................all made to look colorful and eye catching with a not to a bit of actual weathering, which is not something I have found you see on this model too much. I will be working on the old girl in between working on my OV-10 for KH models this week and hopefully even more work on my upcoming 3 day weekend. 

Cheers to one and all,

Other than you guys, my finished kits are seen only by those that have NO IDEA what they are really looking at... in fact, since they're in my basement model room, hardly anyone sees them but me... perhaps that's why my future double build Raiden/Corsair are intended for my office ceiling... still, they will look as real to my university colleagues as the Starship Enterprise in the Astronomy professor's office downstairs...  :hmmm:

Edited by mdeanstrauss

Good point Mitch. The SWMBO has NP with my display cabinets being in the main foyer area, but its still the rare person that comes over to the house that sees any of my built stuff. I think for most of us, its still a labor of love for ourselves first and foremost.

I kicked things off by giving some of the painted parts a round of semi gloss clear for a soon to be applied wash (there are also a lot of OV-10A parts in there, as I wanted to bust out the air brush once and give things from both kits a shot of clear at the same time):

DSC04169.jpg

DSC04170.jpg

Got the basic details painted up on the engine. This is totally 100% OOB, to keep the spirit of this build alive, and to get to assembly and more importantly, paint:

DSC04173.jpg

Here I have prepped a "home made" wash, made out of Tamiya weathering pallet "oil stain" then thinned with water and applied just like Florys wash. It worked amazingly well, and you get a myriad of other colors too:

DSC04179.jpg

DSC04178.jpg

Here is the end result after a good wipe down, and adding the valve covers with the addition of a brass PE Rolls Royce plate:

DSC04180.jpg

DSC04183.jpg

Finally, the engine added to the engine mounts and glued in the firewall. All got the same Tamiya weathering pallet oil stain wash, which IMHO, turned out especially good on the engine mounts with the YZC:

DSC04187.jpg

DSC04190.jpg

DSC04191.jpg

More...............

Edited by Out2gtcha

I also got a start on the TD P-51 pilot. The poor chap had to have his arm broken and reset to get it to rest on the fictional throttle, but it still looks cool IMHO:

DSC04185.jpg

DSC04184.jpg

MUCH better than the OOB Monogram 50s tech "flying monkeys" pilot that came with the kit:

DSC04186.jpg

More later, as Im going to switch to the OV-10A for awhile while things set up on the Mustang.

Cheers to all!