Hasegawa Fw 190A-8

Allok

What source did you use for the engine paint and detail?

Haven't painted the engine yet, John. This is the way it was when I bought it.

Normally, I paint my radials metalic grey and then give them a good coating of Tamiya smoke. Black would look O.K. too.

I might add some plug wires, but otherwise, it looks pretty good.

Hi Keith

One item you may wish to get hold of for this old kit is a set of replacement gun bay covers (the kit's ones are too rounded). I only say this because firstly this is a very visible problem with this kit and secondly with the advent of the new mold 190 someone on this forum may be able to let you have a set (I would if I had a set). I think Cutting Edge made them.

Anyway, good luck with this rebuild, its not a bad kit, just eclipsed by the later rendition.

Matt

Won't be touching these, Matt. As Per Daves strict instructions, I'm only going to replace something if it's damaged or missing (or hidden from obvious view, he he)

It is a good kit!

Keith

Sorry, hadn't noticed that aspect of the rules.

The engine does look nice - I have one of these kits just for the engine and have looked at it wondering if it'd be super-detail-able enough to fit into a newer 190?

Anyway looking forward to watching this one progress.

Matt

I have been trying to get a decent photo of the cockpit but the RLM66 makes everything so dark.

Anyway, here it is;

Pictures004.jpg

Dials are hand painted, there were a couple of extra instruments which I removed and I have put a gun sight in.

I keep forgetting about the stick and the belts go in last.

Possibly a bit crude, but effective none the less.

Also included a slightly better pic of the 801.

Cheers guys,

Keith.

Looking pretty good Keith!

I've found that FLory's Promodeller light wash is fantastic as a highlight to the dark colors like your cockpit. It's like dry-brushing in a bottle!

Cheers, Dave.

Although, the darker it is, the harder it is to see the mess!

Will just do some paint wear with a bit of met. grey.

Here is a quick mock up of what I have been up to... just in case you were wondering.

Every night, I've been taking a part out to the garage and having a go at removing the paint. It's a laborious task and the plastic is old and brittle. Each time I start cleaning the paint off, something breaks. So I'm also doing running repairs and numerous test fits.

Coming together slowly...

Pictures005.jpg

Hey Keith, it looks like you're converting it to the Sturmbock, unless I am wrong.

Indeed, I am attempting to make my model resemble an Fw 190A-8/R2, but I wouldn't really call it a conversion.

The armour plates are .25mm sheets of styrene and I will still need to add some outer wing gun covers.

Still no after market and all well within the $50.00 limit. (Sssh... here comes Dave :rolleyes: )

While searching for some attractive decals, I came across this Eaglecals set, I'm still tossing up between Black 9 and the double chevron;

Eaglecals3299.jpg

These have yet to arrive.

Mark Proulx did an excellent review of this decal sheet and also for the Eagle parts upgrade set. After reading the review, I decided I just couldn't leave the armour off. It just wouldn't have looked right.

I certainly don't expect my little plane will look anywhere near as good as the one in the review, I'll be pleased just to see it re-assembled.

A very minimalist update this time.

I have been slowly working my way towards the front of the plane. Gently tidying up the parts, removing most of the paint and then carefully checking the fit. A little bit of tweaking will be neccessary to get the fuse to mate up with the wings. I have also had to do a few little repairs to the trailing edge and fill a couple of gaps up under the flaps.

Pictures006.jpg

Seen here held together courtesy of Mr Sticky Tape, Do you think I've over done my weathering?