A-7E Corsair II

Righ, after a marathon sanding session eventually got the resin cockpit fitted. The airframe then came together without major issues alhough every major seam seemed to need filler and yet more sanding . Not sure why. The fit isnt horrendous just every seam seemed stubborn.  Nothing visible to the eye but I think fuselage may have a slight warp in it, probably from me being a bit persuasive to get the resin in!  Eventually got a coat of primer on though.

MSFNj8Dm.jpgNiSXfzsm.jpglKitYccm.jpgc6fxmMfm.jpgKJbvAHrm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got some paint on the Corsiar at last. Thought I'd give black basin a go. So first was black base

UbvlWocm.jpg

Then sguiggled on a "marble coat" using light greys for the top and white for the bottom. Added seom brown mottles on the botton and horizontal stabalizers where my reference photos show dirty areas of the air frame

F6AWKLMm.jpgz7kp9smm.jpg

Then finally humbrol light gull grey and tamiya xf1 white for the main camo

LiLqoydm.jpgylrJ9tXm.jpgolcmULnm.jpg

The effect is subtle, almost too subtle for the camera. Perhaps one mist coat of the top colours too many.  :hmmm: 

Thanks for the inspiration Mark. She looks a cracker! Ever wondered way or  when a “kit†become a “sheâ€? Anyway I'll be sticking to  one of the kit options,probably the Va-192 CAG bird a pictured below. Firstly, down hear in deepest darkest Africa I haven't got time to wait for after market decals and perhaps more importantly this squadron is know for holding the record for the most ordnance dropped by the USN on a single cruise. (at least according to Wikipedia) Some 18000 lbs on the “Loation Highway Patrol†so bit of historical significance for inspiration. Anyway, I think I have a lot of mk82's to put together . By the way Mark, I completely agree with Squizzy. Looks an awesome build and would love to see more.

69eNIMnm.jpg

Looks similar to the kit option markings Tim, how much difference is there to do chosen specific A/C?

Also, if similar enough, you might not see any AM because they usually do something different to kit schemes.

Edited by phasephantomphixer

The USAF operated the A-7D Corsair II, not the same as the A-7E.

Just saying. :coolio:

Barry

Think what Barry's pointing out is you have this Navy bird project going in "Back to Stars and Bars: 70 years of the USAF" group build. Different U.S. service branch. But nice to see your work and I in fact have one of these I am restoring right now.

Looks similar to the kit option markings Tim, how much difference is there to do chosen specific A/C?

Also, if similar enough, you might not see any AM because they usually do something different to kit schemes.

Think what Barry's pointing out is you have this Navy bird project going in "Back to Stars and Bars: 70 years of the USAF" group build. Different U.S. service branch. But nice to see your work and I in fact have one of these I am restoring right now.

Ah. Point taken. School boy mistake that and well spotted.Still I'm too far gone to to turn back now. I will be using the kit markings and they seem to match my references pretty well. The only discrepancy is the pilot is name and airframe number. Unfortunately getting after market decals here on South Africa is pretty difficult. The airframe serial number I can make from spare decals easily enough though

• 3 weeks later...

So heres how for I got. Unfortunately a small thing called life got in the way of bench time.

P6sqzq0l.jpg

Still a few bits abd bobs to go. 

So not finished and I've given you a USN plane instead of  USAF. :oops:  Apologies all but at least I got the tars and Bars on !

Will finish her of early in Jan and post decents pics then.

Wishing all a happy new year and a safe 2018 with loads of modelling. Its early evening year in South Africa so time to get the bubbly chilling. See you all next year

• 2 weeks later...

Like most of my highschool carreer this projects has arrived late and off topic. Sorry for that. But still I learnt a lot and enjoyed myself and thats enough for me. In hindsight putting myself into a 2 month timeframe was a mistake. Its simply a kit that does not fall together and takes time patience. 

Depicted it as I think it would have looked while deployed during the Vietnam conflict in 1971. VA-192 amassed 6600 flight hours while deployed of the USS Kitty Hawk, so I used that as an excuse to weather quite heavily.

qILbfQCm.jpgVvY4Tkxm.jpgkrvC27Nm.jpgjaVArrnm.jpg9sl6E6Tm.jpgIfXcqQ7m.jpgencBevUm.jpg3cW3ITDm.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/271rMbHm.jpgZ3Nr3UIm.jpg

Edited by TimHepplestone

Looks pretty sharp with a big load out. Kinda hard to pick out detail at that size. I couldn't get the pics to come out any bigger. Will have to try your imgur site directly.

Thanks. I must say I'm fighting a bit with Imgur.Eaither the images are too small are too large. Not sure if there's a more elegant solution? Especially when working from a mobile device