SH P-39Q 'Spare Parts'

CANicoll

Ok, did a lot of seam work using Vajello acrylic filler.  Water soluable so pretty easy to work with and the P-39 gave me lots of different things to work on.  Fuselage seams, intake seams and even a seam on the trailing edge of one of the wings.

There was not really a way to 'center' the fuselage on the lower wing, so I ended up with a tight seam on the right side and a pretty good gap on the left:

n3A27b.jpg

Used the filler and smoothed with my finger, and then use a wet cotton bud to remove the excess. 

HTUBz6.jpg

While that was drying started working on the PE for the doors, including folding the document/map case on the right side door:

6xXMt3.jpg

QZQ1N5.jpg

Deliberately scratched up the surface as that case had to have been pretty beaten up so we'll see how it looks painted (and primed, so this was probably all for nothing).

Overall, starting to look like an Airacobra!

5ep4PJ.jpg

After this will start on the spinner, props and exhausts but basically waiting for the masks, landing gear and tires which should show up Thursday.

Chris

Guest Peterpools

Chris

Some mighty nice progress and no question you whipped the wing intakes and wing seam into shape. beautiful work on the interior door panels.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Chris

Enjoying following your progress on the P-39 and never realized that the black primer dried glossy - food for thought with NMF.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Well, I up and did it. The paint masks unexpectedly arrived today and in my eagerness to get the canopy and doors masked so I can get to the gloss black, I cracked the canopy.  Frig.  I'll use it as a mask until the replacement comes in, but BLAST  :BANGHEAD2:  :doh:

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! 

I've been working on my HobbyCraft 1/32 Nieuport 17 in the meantime (and have not done a WIP thread on it...), but I did put the request in with SH customer service after sending them an email.  OMG.  They responded immediately!

Got the replacement ordered, then added some other bits so its all coming in the same box.

Terrific customer service - love it. 

So I now have the inside of the doors painted  and probably tomorrow will get to work on the PE nobs and map case on the doors.  Once that is done I need to get to work on the landing gear.  I may look into starting the painting on the underside.  That could be fun...

Chris

Always loved the P-39. Not sure which one to buy, SH or KH. Will be watching closely. Great work so far.

Dan

Dan - Having built (building) both - I'd offer this advice:

The SH kit is a pretty quick build with no engine or any of the nose parts.  You get a terrific Eduard PE cockpit (with a funky machine gun fit but maybe that is just me) so you end up with a nice looking bird, without a lot of time to invest.

If you want a fully open P-39, the KH kit offers that option - check out JohnB's build thread.  He did the best job on the KH P-39 I've seen and he included a plug to make the fuselage length more accurate.  (I said Peterpools earlier - who also does amazing work - but it was JohnB's KH P-39 you will want to check out)

I tried to build mine with the nose open, but found the other panels fit so poorly that closed up they looked horrible, and had such bad fit problems in the nose, that all that detail ended up in the trash and that got closed up too.  You can check my build thread, but also check the other SH and KH build threads here.  YMMV is all I'll say to that.

Good luck!

(On the other hand, the 1/48 P-39's from Eduard are a dream... Just sayn...  :innocent: )

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

If you want a fully open P-39, the KH kit offers that option - check out Peterpool's build thread.  He did the best job on the KH P-39 I've seen.

Chris, got a link to Peter's build? I don't recall him building this kit, but I know what a great job he usually does, so I'd love to see it!

Kev

Chris, got a link to Peter's build? I don't recall him building this kit, but I know what a great job he usually does, so I'd love to see it!

Kev

Kev,

I was mistaken.  It was JohnB's amazing build that got me going on the KH kit.  Between those two guys, they both do such amazing work I just am in constant amazement.   Here is his build thread.  And my memory is SHOT.  He used the SH kit.   :oops:  :mental:   I think I need to stay away from sharp objects for a while!

You going to start on a P-39?

Chris

Edited by CANicoll