Combat Models Vacform 1/72nd Martin Mars

Radders

First off, I blame Tom Probert for this... but as you can see I have now started a Combat Models Martin Mars, it's big with a 34" wing span. Lots of bracing was needed for the fuselage structure but sadly I got lost in the moment and never took any photos. It is solid as a rock now though, just two areas you can push the plastic in but it doesn't matter as it should never break. The plastic was wafer thin so I doubled up on the inside with plasticard cut out in various shapes and then glued it in, then added the bracing over the top of that. 

I am not detailing the inside much as I will copy Tom with how he did the Combat C-17 and cut a fillet off from the cockpit area, build the floor and bulkhead and then add cockpit details, then glazing.. but to be honest I am a little bit wary of doing it. The thought of making it look pretty then taking a saw to it.......

Anyway, onto some pics. 

22922050724_572cebbab0_c.jpg

23296067279_ba82580c3e_c.jpg

23036940633_7baa1618a4_c.jpg

23637918356_a8a71fa9c8_c.jpg

23581551681_e1f5b84aa2_c.jpg

23036926803_81eb0278dc_c.jpg

and then glued together..

24892878885_7a6a172fbf_c.jpg

and how it is now, even though it's together in the photo above, there was lots of gaps, uneven joins, dimples, holes.. you name it.

26253930023_4544f6a371_c.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how it's gone together so far, but as you can see in some photos, air holes from P38 car filler and a very rough surface. Lots more sanding to be done, then once I have it all totally smooth I will start to add detail to the surface.. Quite looking forward to that part!

26252905894_6c36ab76f4_c.jpg

and one bonus shot for anyone interested. I was asked 'how big is it' so I took this, it's next to the newish Mach2 Argosy that's nearly ready for paint and a can of Tamiya primer, that's 5 ½ inches long.

26266187584_0f6bbf3efa_c.jpg

Hopefully this is of interest to someone.... I wonder who will be the first to say "we need a Mars in 1/32nd scale" :)

Thanks for looking, 

Radders

Edited by Radders

Like it. And we do need. 1/32 Mars. Good work.....Harv

Ha, Imagine the size!! HpH......Where are you??

whoah, this should be interesting and BIGGGGG!!!

Thanks Jack.

Awesome project, Radders! Thanks for posting it.

Kev

Thanks Kev, to be honest I thought I already had it here just not updated! 

Cool project indeed. I may have to take a stab at a Mariner if I start checking in here too often.

Thanks! Go for it too, another one of them types you don't see built :)

Kev, you need any mariner refs, Im your man.

Love the Mars, what scheme you gonna do? Blue or firefighter red n white?

Harvey you're a mad man....a 1/32 Mars!

Fire Bomber naturally, I part run the Scale Water Bomber SIG in the UK. 

Radders

Holy Cow, what a project. Noting like working small.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

I *love* big aircraft, it's my thing... Big and Russian more so... thanks Peter.

So the rumour of your building a Mars wasn't just idle talk over on Britmodeller, Radleigh. Good luck on this one!

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason, I have a thread going on over there too! Thanks too mate.

Little update but more of a backwards update, just some older progress pics that I hadn't put online.

26399821514_18dd84a6a3_c.jpg

Ignore the 'bits' just a coat to check seams.

26972017696_1f6f3511f2_c.jpg

and I was just curious, yeah it's BIG.

27005506915_57f698a2aa_c.jpg

• 1 month later...

Little update - 

Lots of sanding, filling, sanding, filling.... You get the idea. Whilst it looks OK, I'm going to adjust the leading edge of the tailplane as it's not pointy enough. It now weighs a tonne too, but once the fuselage is all done then I will do the canopy/cockpit.

You will also notice a gap in the rudder as I never glued that part down, I will cut it off & scratch build the rudder as the kit part is very bland, likewise for all other moving parts.

Some piccys..

27699115205_c57bb6e084_c.jpg

27624487561_5fdde29738_c.jpg

Terrific progress, Radders! Love both your ambition and your execution with this one.

Kev

Thanks Kev, it's a big eye opener.. That Tigger Tracker is like a Tamiya kit in comparison. Fits like a glove, this isn't symmetrical, despite bracing it evenly on each side, so lots more work to do.

Really like watching this build Radders. Great work so far.....Harv

Thanks Harvey!