And Yet Another Tamiya Mosquito

tucohoward

About three years ago Rick K contacted me to see if I wanted to go in with him on an order for this thing from one of the Asian sellers. We live close to each other so it would be convenient and we could save some money by buying two. I said sure and was excited about it even though it's not my normal interest. Opened the box and said yeah...no. Anyhow, after watching a number of builds on here I decided to give it a go.

This is my first Tamiya 1/32 kit. No one could have missed all the rave reviews about them so I was expecting it to be pretty good. And it is. Really good. Been working on it for a few weeks. I got the Eduard Big Sin kit for it as well. Won't be using the Brassin wheel and tires however as I managed to glue the wheels into the tires with the brake line attachments not lined up side to side. There were notches for alignment and I used them, but it put them at 90 degrees off side to side. May try to get them apart to see. Just curious.

It's coming right along and has been very enjoyable. The Brassin nose gun bay looks like a handful so I haven't decided on that for sure. Worried about the guns being aligned with nose. We'll see. Do have the Brassin bulkhead installed and air lines from wire.

Jay

20180120_174327_zpspiarqvsm.jpg20180305_183011_zpspciayxm8.jpg20180330_162605_zpskzsvwddc.jpg20180330_162512_zpsqtffhsrl.jpg20180330_162541_zpsmltrjlfm.jpg20180330_162435_zpsfj4odfhk.jpg20180330_162445_zpszqf1ljnk.jpg20180330_162620_zpsnd16kl0k.jpg

Thanks, guys! Mike, Rick actually mentioned it when we were talking at the NoVa IPMS Christmas party, but said he thought it was a bit too large of a project. That did get me thinking about it again. It's really not bad at all as everything goes together so well, and it's a lot of sub-assemblies that are very manageable.

Brian, it was your build that made me finally pull the trigger. I didn't want a long-term project, but you did yours so quickly that I decided to get into it.

Jay

Jay, what an awesome piece of work! 

One thing, if it's not already too late, use the kit heating pipes for the ventral cannons. Eduard's are way too small. I have a pic in one of my references and Tamiya got the size of the heating pipes right.

I'm going to have to get back to mine once the Corsair is done. Great inspiration Jay.

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks guys! Wolf. I have been reviewing your experience with the Eduard set. Of course I remembered from way back that you had an issue with the barrel rings but made the same mistake you did anyway. Went back and checked yours again to see the fix. Then found that the air duct doesn't line up and looks like a lot of work to get it to do so. At this point I think I am going to go back to the kit parts. Would love to see you get back into yours, please.

John, I needed a little break from the K-4. I have had more problems with painting it than I have had in years. Couldn't get what the vision in my head wanted. Not even totally sure what I didn't like.  I have literally touched up this thing 50 times. Ok, maybe only 40. Finally got it to where I am happy enough to proceed. Almost scrapped it, and may still. We'll see. Where I am at now is growing on me. 

Thanks for checking in. You are two of my favorite builders on LSP.

Jay

I think I know the feeling, Jay.  Something not right but you just can't seem to figure out what.  There are different ways to get out of a funk and it looks like the Mosquito is just what the doctor ordered.  Not familiar at all with the Mosquito... what's up with the pointed tips on the ends of the guns?  Something to do with alignment?  They look really cool... like steampunk laser cannons or something.