Wessesx HU5 Fly 1/32nd scale

HL-10

Sadly, two years on, no sign of the intake set, but the folding rotor set is really good...

Indeed. Ive resigned myself to the fact that I will have to scratch up an intake cover. I've got some concepts in my head, but have not done any experimenting yet. 

Indeed. Ive resigned myself to the fact that I will have to scratch up an intake cover. I've got some concepts in my head, but have not done any experimenting yet. 

Couldn't you smash mold one out of thin sheet ?.......Harv

The problem Harv, is that the screen is pure mesh, with some flat metal divisions inside it, and sheet of any kind would probably have a very difficult time replicating it effectively. 

qw04.jpg

Im thinking maybe some PE screen annealed so it could be molded around a mold of the intake opening, then maybe some thin sheet strip for the framing.  

Sorry to Hi-jack Angelo!

I was thinking cover, like in covering the whole nose, ie fabric.....Harv

Ah!  Well in that case the Fly kit already provides a very nice resin cover, complete with straps and folds/creases in the fabric. Very well done, but if you dont want it looking like its just setting on the flightline unattended, your a bit SOL. 

The problem Harv, is that the screen is pure mesh, with some flat metal divisions inside it, and sheet of any kind would probably have a very difficult time replicating it effectively. 

Im thinking maybe some PE screen annealed so it could be molded around a mold of the intake opening, then maybe some thin sheet strip for the framing.  

Sorry to Hi-jack Angelo!

The bits inside are round  so could be replicated by plastirod, its the outer edge skin curvurture thats the pain, the grill not so. I reckon that i could knock one up no probs.

Edited by TonyT

The bits inside are round  so could be replicated by plastirod, its the outer edge skin curvurture thats the pain, the grill not so. I reckon that i could knock one up no probs.

The idea I had for the outer edge of the grill was to cut out the shapes from card stock with the cur already in them, then bend as needed to conform to the rest. As you said, the hard bit is probably the curvature of the frame and not the actual screen itself. 

Been working on the cabin interior.

Have added some details to make it busier looking and have painted and weathered it:

IMG_1181.jpg

I have also had a trial fit of the fuselage halves & the belly plate:

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

It all seems to fit with no major issues, so far! :)

On to the cockpit!

Guest Clunkmeister

finally a build thread on this kit. One sits in my stash and howls "BUILD ME!", but like Brian, I'm not a fan of the intake cover. I really was waiting for. Screen to be available.

I'll follow along with much interest.

I'm not a fan of the intake cover. I really was waiting for. Screen to be available.

I'm not a fan of it either, I am going to have a go at making my own.

I've got some etched mesh, lead foil and a few other bits & pieces to have a go with :)