AIMS Ju388 L1 conversion - Finished!

Wouter

Alright, after a few evenings of putty, sanding, rinse and repeat, I've painted the canopy. I decided to pull off the masking because the canopy is now essentially finished. The real canopy was also finished in a black/grey color and not painted with the rest of the fuselage. I'm going to tape off the canopy as a whole for the rest of the build.

I still have to do some touch up, but all in all it turned out pretty well. Considering this is my first vac canopy I'm pleased with the result. I'm was pleasantly surprised with what can be seen from the outside, so all the hard work and details are not for nothing.

With the canopy finished, the rest of the build shoudl be pretty straightforward and I can see the finish line in the distance!

Cheers, Wouter

e1jDeE7.jpg

rxZ5Mho.jpg

5LWEBPk.jpg

sxiL3GX.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm slowly working to on this one to get to the painting stage. Lot's of sanding, filling and (re)scribing to do. It's just so hard to get the panel lines straight, especially when they cross different materials like resin, filler and plastic. I'm now at the stage I'm calling it a day because I'll never get them perfect. 

Anyway, besides that, one of the smaller but still prominent part of the build is the turbo scoop beneath the engines. It's a tricky shape to get right. John mentioned this in the manual that he thinks the scoop should be altered and I tend to agree with him. I haven't found one picture showing the original scoop in good detail, but after studying the available material I found the parts provided in the kit to round and to short and not enough definition at the base.

Here's how the look unaltered:

SPP8SXy.jpg

Here are some of the better pictures I found showing the shape of the scoop

9XHlUXz.jpg

TeRiRRZ.jpg

rZotAm9.jpg

Looking at these pictures I found the shape to be oval from the front, longer from the side profile slightly tapering to the back, and a flared base. On the last picture you can also see that there is a panel line between the front and the rest of the scoop. I reshaped the kit parts using milliput. In the end I omitted the panel  because I couldn't get a decent straight line around the scoop. But all in all I think the altered shape is closer to the pictures then teh unaltered one.

O78yoy7.jpg

29idqJy.jpg

d1fJexC.jpg