Super Late to the Party: Trumpeter SA-2, now with color!

LSP_Ray

OK, for Paul I am trying to get one done.

Thought about a CAC Sabre - nah, too much work.

Started a Trumpy MiG-17 - nah, too much work.

So picked a true adversary to the US military: a N. Vietnam SA-2, as kitted by Trumpeter.post-39-0-71643700-1417580915_thumb.jpg

The cool thing about the NV SAMS were that many were camo'ed with a random pattern of two shades of green. So, it will be like German mottle on the rocket!

Not only am I late to the party, I am late in making my posts as I have been working on this for a bit, but haven't had time to post my photos.

Anyway, I am building this out of the box, which is not a bad thing as this is actually a nicely detailed kit. It did not take many nights to get it ready for paint. Here are some pics of the missile:

post-39-0-33738300-1417581093_thumb.jpg

post-39-0-34737800-1417581117_thumb.jpg

post-39-0-79724100-1417581143_thumb.jpg

post-39-0-37750500-1417581157_thumb.jpg

By the way, I tried something new (to me) on this project for filling seams: Mr. Dissolved Putty.

post-39-0-37161500-1417581451_thumb.jpg

I was surprised how well this stuff worked. I was able to brush it along the joint with good control due to how thin it was. The brush cleaned up well with Testors Lacquer Brush Cleaner. The stuff dried hard, with less shrinkage than Mr. Surfacer. It sanded well and only took a couple of coats to get a clean, smooth joint. I was impressed.

Thanks, guys!

BTW, anyone know of any NV regular figures in 1/35th scale? I can't find any anywhere and I would like at least one for scale. I think I have seen some VC before, but I would really need a regular to man this weapon. You think maybe a Chinese or N. Korean figure from Korean War would work - if I can find one of those?

Warriors and Bravo-6 have some lonely NVA regulars. DML released a set of NVA sappers charging years ago. There are a fistful of VC fighters out there made by Dragon, Verlinden and Bravo-6, mostly local forces. But for some reasons Charlie was never quite popular among mostly US based modelling companies :whistle: . Nowadays you might find more vietnamese civilans than NVA regulars scalewise, especially of "asian beauties" :coolio:

Regards

- dutik