Spitfire IIa of 1690 BDTF: finished 3 March (RIP)

mozart

I'm building Revell's "new tool" Spitfire II as this particular one:

cdfile230-1.jpg

The job of the Bomber Defence Training Flight was to help train new bomber crews by attacking as the "enemy" in mock fighter attacks known as fighter affiliation, both by day and night. I have a personal link with this in that my father and his best friend, Max Venton, both trained as pilots in 1943, Max being posted finally to 467 squadron at Waddington but subsequently being killed in action along with the rest of his crew in March 45. During their training they did three FAs in February 45, possibly with this Spitfire.

Though listed as a IIb, Rob Brown has helped and suggested that after repairs at Scottish Aviation she was fitted with an A wing, which makes life easier for me!
Max

Edited by mozart

Hi Max.

I shall be following this one closely as I've visited the RAF Metheringham airfield visitors centre on more than one occasion. I used to sit and eat my lunch on the old concrete of one of the runways. Parts of Metheringham are used as public roads and both of my boys had their first taste of driving a car on that stretch.

Great idea for a project. Good job.

Cheers.

Thanks chaps. I intend doing mine "in flight" with flaps lowered so I'm thinking around display possibilities etc. Iain I read through your seminal build of the Revell kit plus improvements again yesterday so I'll be keeping that bookmarked. I'm tempted to try the overlapping panels on the fuselage and I must send for some rivet decals.

Max

I've made a bit of a start to my build, filling in those prominent rivets.  I've used Mr Dissolved Putty applied with a small artist's palette knife and then sanded back with various grades of sanding stick:

DSCN9322_zpsjlokkeeq.jpg

Since she's going to be in flight, she needs a pilot....this is the Aires offering complete with seat and seat belts, though I'm going to have to add the straps which go beyond the bulkhead I think:

DSCN9321_zpskowwhjiz.jpg

I don't intend doing too much extra detailing in the cockpit but I couldn't resist this instrument panel:

DSCN9320_zps9ydiwtos.jpg

More work on the cockpit this afternoon I hope.
Max

How are you finding that instrument panel? I am tempted to buy one for my build.

It's certainly a lovely looking piece of kit Ollie, very detailed.  I'm just contemplating the best way of mounting it, probably cutting off the present IP then putting a thin piece of plasticard in place to stick the new IP on.

Max

It's certainly a lovely looking piece of kit Ollie, very detailed.  I'm just contemplating the best way of mounting it, probably cutting off the present IP then putting a thin piece of plasticard in place to stick the new IP on.

Max

I will watch with interest how you tackle it. It looks more realistic than a resin instrument panel for sure.

Gradually building up the cockpit structure, all appears to be fitting quite well so far.  I've cut the IP off the forward framing and I'll be sticking the new IP to the face of the forward support bulkhead when all the painting is completed.....that's the theory anyway though as we know, theory and practice don't always match!

DSCN9325_zpsbahektwc.jpg

The assembled pilot, I've changed his head to a Wings Cockpit one because I wasn't that happy with the original.  Some filling and trimming needed around the shoulder joints when all is firmly set.

DSCN9329_zps8uql4nbh.jpg

My concern with the "thumbs up" is that the canopy may not fit over the arm, Plan B in this eventuality is to have the hood back.  She's going to be flaps down and landing so it's feasible I reckon.  I've got more work to do to make sure the seat fits well to the framework (it will be slightly lower) and I'll be adding the seatbelt harness straps back through the frame to their securing position.

DSCN9333_zpsqvj8coqk.jpg

Really enjoying this build so far.....

Max

Edited by mozart

Good progress Max.

I'm glad you took a pic or two of the Aires pilot. I had a look at that one when I was building my recent Spit but could n't find many images. As it turned out I opted for a more modern pilot so did n't buy this version.

One thing that struck me is the molding of the cloth looked a bit "naive" by comparison to some of their stuff. It will be good to see what it looks like under paint. May I ask, is the head that you showed in the uppermost image the Aires part or the Wings part?

I suspect that you will indeed be forced to slide the canopy back for this pose. He's either a skilled pilot or very brave to be waving out of the open canopy when he's on approach. :D

Cheers.

He got a red as he was coming in Guy, so he's going round again, just acknowledging the control tower!!! :) Yes you're absolutely right, the modelling of the Aires pilot isn't the best, rather rough by comparison with that of Mike Good for instance. Indeed the head is by Mike Good from his Sailor Malan figure, it's the one shown in both pictures here. The Aires head lacked the detail necessary for effective painting in my opinion. Hoping to prime and make a start on him today.

Max

I've been working on the cockpit, trying to make it suitably worn and well-used as I imagine it would be.  This is Mr Paint interior green with two washes afterwards, the first a very thin olive drab and when dried followed by a very thin black Indian ink.  I also used the olive drab wash on the silver sections since this area was far too bright:

DSCN9335_zpsc5p9pfgy.jpg

The pilot fits quite well, I think he's pretty much in the right position though I'll have to do something about the joystick:

DSCN9345_zpsdu45xeam.jpg

DSCN9340_zpsnnnp3eca.jpg

DSCN9338_zpsnx9b0xpr.jpg

Need to crack on with painting the pilot now so that I can think about finishing the cockpit and zipping the fuselage up.
Max