Revell 1/144 Shuttle with boosters

D Bellis

Another tinkering project, all painting done with either a brush or rattle cans. This time it is the Revell 1/144 Space Shuttle with boosters. The recent RoG release of this kit comes with a truly amazing set of decals. But, IMHO, the one thing absolutely required to build a convincing Shuttle are the tile decals from Warbird Decals. While their tile decals aren't cheap nor fully comprehensive, they do flesh out at least 90% of the tiled surface of the orbiter. The rest can be taken care of without too much trouble. 

The tiled underside prior to final assembly:

100_2738_zps9b29a4f4.jpg

The Stack::

100_2744_zpsd30bc44e.jpg

100_2743_zps63709238.jpg

100_2740_zpsb2fe807e.jpg

The kit's base isn't anything like what a shuttle stack would have sat on, but it does make the model displayable:

100_2739_zps7675351f.jpg

And, the inspiration pic:

DiscoveryLaunchSM_zps3f6bd5c1.jpg

D

Looks fantastic D! I have this kit, but it's missing the windscreen piece. That, plus how to tackle the tiles, has kept me from building it. There are a few decal solutions for the tiles out there, but they're all quite expensive, so I haven't taken the plunge. Nice to have a recommendation for a specific set.

Kev

Thanks, guys!

I have this kit, but it's missing the windscreen piece.

Honestly, the kit's clear piece fits poorly and leaves nothing visible inside. You'd probably be doing yourself a favor by simply filling the window holes and painting them gloss black or dark gray.

I hope the kit you have is the newer Rog release with the awesome decals. That alone is worth the price of the kit. If you have an older release, you might want to see if you can buy the new decal sheet from Rog. Yeah, it is that nice. Something like 150 decals are included, and they all went on flawlessly. By contrast, the old shuttle kit that I have includes a sheet with 5 or 6 crappy decals...

D

Thanks, guys!

Honestly, the kit's clear piece fits poorly and leaves nothing visible inside. You'd probably be doing yourself a favor by simply filling the window holes and painting them gloss black or dark gray.

I hope the kit you have is the newer Rog release with the awesome decals. That alone is worth the price of the kit. If you have an older release, you might want to see if you can buy the new decal sheet from Rog. Yeah, it is that nice. Something like 150 decals are included, and they all went on flawlessly. By contrast, the old shuttle kit that I have includes a sheet with 5 or 6 crappy decals...

D

It's old one, for sure. Looks like the Warbirds set comes with cockpit window decals anyway, though with clear panel sections, so that's something at least.

Kev

Looks like the Warbirds set comes with cockpit window decals anyway, though with clear panel sections, so that's something at least.

Yes, the Warbirds sheet does have the front windshield frames. Surprisingly enough, the RoG kit's window frame decals are much nicer! I still have the Warbirds windshield frame decals if you want them...

D

Yes, the Warbirds sheet does have the front windshield frames. Surprisingly enough, the RoG kit's window frame decals are much nicer! I still have the Warbirds windshield frame decals if you want them...

D

Thanks D, but I'll probably buy the Warbirds set when the time comes (possibly sooner, in case it's no longer available then). I haven't looked at my kit for a while, but I suspect the decals in the box aren't much chop. I bought the kit off eBay, and it was missing the windsrceen when it arrived. The lady who sold it to me was mortified when I notified her, and instantly refunded the entire transaction, including postage, without being asked! I offered to repay the postage so that she wasn't out of pocket, but she wouldn't have it. So, I got the kit for free, effectively. But it's old and not in great shape.

Anyway, enough sidetracking! Yours is in great shape, and I hope to be able to emulate it some day.

Kev

That's just beautiful...

Have been thinking about getting one to build with my son as he's been doing space exploration at school - you model has tipped the scales - so must get one!!

Iain