Interesting cockpit

LSP_Matt

Guest LSP_Jay L

I agree Moskito. 219 would be the only other option really, but the coaming is rounded on them and not square so Moskito it is.

Cheers,

Jay

Mmmm...good guesses everyone but given its Chistmas and people have things to do..I'll not drag it out.

The Doc was getting mighty warm with his 'very progresive' assessment but you were all in the 'ball park'. I all of us can see the FW lineage coming strongly. Its the indigenous HF24 built by HAL in the 60's...right up Saso's alley I would imagine.

The images come from "Kurt Tank - FW's Designer and Test Pilot" by Wolfgang Wagner and published by Schiffer

ISBN : 0 -7643-0644-8. Quite an interesting read (273 pages) and covers many of the pre/during and post war aircraft that Tank and FW were associated with. Has a particularly interesting diagram of the autopilot from the FW190.

In the 190 section it describes how Tank put a lot of thought into making it a plane that didn't require the pilot to 'think' about the flying aspect...especially in cockpit design and also in flight handling characteristics. Hence leaving the pilot to concentrate on important tasks such as Nav and combat.

It struck me that being both a pilot, engineer, flown on ops and served in the military Kurt Tank was almost the perfect person to have designing 'effective' aircraft for 'the boys'. I guess this cockpit photo just goes to show that when you're on a good thing...stick to it.

cool huh.

cheers Matty

post-8-1135204995.jpg

Guest LSP_Jay L
It can´t be a Moskito, because the instruments and the rudder pedals are looking german aircrafts like.

Chris

Oops! Sorry Chris, language barrier thing again. Not that Mosquito but the Ta-154 Moskito! :blink:

Cheers mate,

Jay

Oh and brilliant teaser Matty! And I wonder where the French got the Mirage design from.... :blink:

Do you reckon Schiffer/Wagner got it wrong Piet?

I'm hearing more and more stories about myths perpertated in series of references all the time. Radu has mentioned a couple where facts long held as gospel about Romanian Hurri's were just plain wrong. My mate knows a guy who owns a Bommerang. He said the only 'accurate' ref is the Kagero book...mainly becasue they used his original plane for measurements. All the other refs were just plain wrong. Pressures of publishing perhaps?

The photo of the Moskito pit looks very similar indeed. Though there are differences if you look closely ( number of dials, angle of consoles under front instrument panels). I wonder if the differences in the photos could be attributed to a version or prototype difference between Moskito planes or they are indeed different pits.

Do you have any source info or other photos that could confirm? Interesting.

In either case it shows the 'tank flavour' to cockpit design for sure...though if its a Mossie pit as you reckon its not quite the generational gap that was so surprising. Of course the other thought I had on this was that Tank didn't have any new ideas so stuck to his old ones. Errr...I'll respect him and assume it was becasue pilots found the design layout easy to work with.

Cheers

Hey Matt

I posted the above while reading your previous post and looking at the diiferences and spotted my error. I thought I deleted the post but came cack this morning to find it still there! :P

You are not wrong. My appologies mate!

I once had a chat with a designer from Avro, who spoke at lenght with mr Tank when he toured South Africa. He told me that Tank discussed the Huckebein with them, and it's similarities to the Mig 15 layout.

Although I personally dont think there is so much a a rivet similar between those two planes, I definitely do think it was a case of one inspiting a direction for the other. Tank was definitely a very talented guy. Makes you wonder what wonderous jets Reginald Mitchell might have come up with if he lived.