1/32 Hasegawa P-26A Peashooter Part Deux...

Shaka HI

Hi Shaka - So many variables when spraying - temperature, humidity, etc. so hard to tell for sure but my first guess would be too much air pressure...? Best bet would be to experiment with different pressures and mixtures (with the Testors Gold, I spray Alclad straight from the bottle) on a piece of scrap material to find what gives the best results in your environment.

Cheers!

John.

Edited by Leaning_Dog

Guest Peterpools

Shaka

I've been shooting Alclad and AK Metallics for a long time and have crossed alomost every bridge when it comes to problems with the final finish.

I'm not sure if it is the old lap top I'm using right now to look at the photos or the images I see on my screen are close.

The Alclad doesn't seem to have a metallic shine and is grainy as well, which leads me to a few thoughts:

Preparation and application.

Preparation:

Parts need to be clean and primed. I now prime parts and assemblies to have a NMF with either MIG Black Primer or AK Black Base. In either case I am looking for a super smooth base rather than a super gloss black base. Super smooth is the key and the black base will bring out the metallic look. Gloss is what we tend to think of for super smooth but I've been tickled pink with how smooth my primer coats have been coming out that they work perfectly for NMF's. 

I always thin my paints a minimum of 50/50 or more, shoot at low working 10-12 psi max and am about 1 inch from the model surface.

Application:

Alclad and AK: no thinning require. Numerous, thin mist coats, building up the layers and again a working psi of 10-12 psi max. approx 1-1.5 inches from the surface.

If the Metallic paint is applied at too high of a working pressure , too far from the model surface or the base isn't super smooth.

Sure hope this helps

Peter

Thanks Peter...wow, 1 inch from the surface? The engine was primed with Vallejo's black primer which dries smooth with semi-gloss shine so I know the surface was fairly well prepped. But no way was I that close to the model and spraying with such low air pressure.

I'll give your recommendations a try on my next subject (or just the prop). Thank you!

Thanks Peter. I'll definitely try your method for the cowling. I played more with the blue and yellow. Lighter blue, more red for the yellow. And noticed more seam correction is required as well and that's where I'm at...slow, but progress is progress!

I'll be masking for the final color coats after the seam correction.

yYruJUJ.png

I forced myself to make some progress this evening...the Prop's been giving me issues. I've must've stripped and repainted it at least 4 times (and even tried foiling it). But I got so frustrated that I decided to brush paint the blades with Testor's silver.

It'll do for now. A bit grainy from Tamiya's AS12 from the rattle can, but noticeably shinier which is what I was striving for. 

tDWONwH.jpg

Edited by Shaka HI

Guest Peterpools

Shaka

Pretty nice brush painting on the prop; as it has a slightly worn look. What were the issues you were having with the prop?

Peter

I hate masking..seriously detest this part of the hobby. That's the reason for such a long delay in continuing this project...

Masked with Tamiya's latest flex tape, yellow and Frog yellow tape. Blue fully applied. Some touch up is required, but I'm pretty stoked with the result. I'll be stripping the prop for the 5th time or so for another repaint!

ebv85Au.jpg2FVK8D4.jpg.