Hasegawa 1/32 Messerschmitt Bf109K-4 Hartmann Reviews

Qwikduster

KOTR-

EXCELLENT advice and tips!!!

I will book mark and save this method of weathering --- and true--the worst part is the wait for parts and paint!!! :(

I am working on some other planes in the meantime, so the wait won't be that bad, we're coming up on modeling season (winter) so this is perfect timing!

Thanks again for all your help and advice!!

Qwik-

Painting acrylics over enamel is no problem, just make sure the enamel is really dry. I don't have any experiences with enamel and acrylic washes. For the weathering, I swear on artist's oil colours. First I apply a clear coat, my local substitute for Future floor polish, the wash is done two weeks later with a mixture of black and siena, thinned with white spirit.

The right ratio requires a little experimenting, the mixture should flow by itself from the brush, yet it should not start to creep over the model's surface. I prefer to keep it a bit more on the thick side, that lessens the chance I rub off the paint. Its allowed to dry for a few minutes, and then I rub it of with some - no laughter please - Kleenex, the type your wife uses to remove her makeup :D Yeah, right, cosmetic tissue, because they are softer than kitchen roll or toilet paper, if your timing is right, you don't need any additional thinner to remove the paint and lessens the chance you rub the colour of some corners and raised details :)

The mixture is spread over all panel lines, raised and sunk details, but also over the areas that are to receive some real nasty dirt, like on the belly of my example, and if one run is not enough, it can be gradually build up. I start at the nose, work in managable small sections and rub of in what I think is where the airflow goes. In a few places (namely the link ejector chutes) I also used some graphit rubbed off a lead pencil. Then a clear coat again to fix everything, followed by a careful drybrush with white artist's oil colour, after that its time for a little paint chipping, a final flat or semigloss coat, and voilà! :lol:

And now to the hardest part...

...waiting for the ordered stuff to arrive! <_< Always leaves me on pins and needles for a few days, until finally the postman rings ;)

Ah, you're welcome. As you probably noted, the guys here are very helpful, so it was my turn to share my techniques and experiences. :rolleyes: If you have more questions on how I (or someone else) did something, just drop a line :rolleyes:

Having something else on the table is a good distraction, yet the waiting for the parcel to arrive reminds me a little of my childhood, the feeling of waiting for one's christmas present. :unsure:

KOTR-

Thanks again for the generous offer to help, and the advice!! It truly has been both inspiring and helpful!

I've been doing more research (look out!!), and I see you mentioned "white spirits", to thin your weathering which I will assume is white mineral spirits. I have seen mentioned a thinner called Turpenoid. That stuff is very expensive, so I'm wondering, since the purpose is the same--thinning down the oils for the weathering, can I use that as well??

BTW-Where did you get the white mineral spirits?

I already picked up the oils, so now only the thinner is all that is left to get so I can do my first weathering job!!

I need to get some Future too, (I think WalMart carries that)....if that is not the case, please let me know where you got yours as well.

I totally understand the childhood feelings!! I have had Christmas the last 3 weeks in a row!!!

This stuff is definitely addicting!!

Thanks again!!

Qwik-

Ah, you're welcome. As you probably noted, the guys here are very helpful, so it was my turn to share my techniques and experiences. :rolleyes: If you have more questions on how I (or someone else) did something, just drop a line :rolleyes:

Having something else on the table is a good distraction, yet the waiting for the parcel to arrive reminds me a little of my childhood, the feeling of waiting for one's christmas present. :unsure:

Yes, I was talking about white mineral spirits or turpentine substitute. Real turpentine is more expensive and if you use turpentine for thinning, the colours need longer for drying.

A short research brought up, that turpenoid is an odourless and less toxic alternative to turpentine, something to consider if health issues are a concern.

I got the white spirit from a regular painter's shop, any DIY store will probably carry it. About alternative stores for Future, someone else will probably know better, as Wal-Mart withdrawed from Germany earlier this year, and I have my doubts about the existence of Müller chemists in your area :unsure:

KOTR-

I'll pick up some mineral spirits, seems that it's everywhere! As for the Future, Wal Mart it is!! Turpenoid is available locally, but they want $24.99 for 16oz. (no way!!). Health issues aren't THAT big of a concern yet.......

And you are correct, no Muller chemists here.... :rolleyes:

I re-looked at your "K" again, I'll tell ya, that is one really fine looking bird!!! Lots of inspiration there!! I can't wait to get the EE pit to start the paint on that, as it will be my first shot at wash and weathering. Thanks again, and I'll post a couple more questions later this weekend--it'll give you a chance to catch your breath! :unsure:

Qwik-

Yes, I was talking about white mineral spirits or turpentine substitute. Real turpentine is more expensive and if you use turpentine for thinning, the colours need longer for drying.

A short research brought up, that turpenoid is an odourless and less toxic alternative to turpentine, something to consider if health issues are a concern.

I got the white spirit from a regular painter's shop, any DIY store will probably carry it. About alternative stores for Future, someone else will probably know better, as Wal-Mart withdrawed from Germany earlier this year, and I have my doubts about the existence of Müller chemists in your area :rolleyes: