• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 otis252

otis252

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:18 PM

Hey Paul, you've done some great kits of 50-60's Navy jets as we all know, so what do you think about doing a North American FJ-4 Fury? It's a beautiful jet and has never been kitted in 32nd scale. It had many colorful markings while in use by the Navy and Marine Corp, not to mention it was just a cool looking jet! Whata you think?

Chuck

• harvey, JohnB and sandokan like this

#2 Zero77

Zero77

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:47 AM

I'd be in for one, maybe two !

Following the big Photobucket rip-off attempt, all my pictures on the forum cannot display anymore. I try to reupload the RFI pictures, but i'm not sure i'd have enough time and energy to reupload the pictures of the WIP threads. If you're interested in a specific subject and want me to reupload some pictures, just let me know. :) 

Finished : F-16C Barak, F-4J VMF333, Czech Mig-19PM, Bell X-1, Russian Su-25 in Chechnya, Ta152H-1, Czech Avia S.199, Heinkel He162, Swiss AF Bf109G-6, Regia Aeronautica Bf109G-6, P-47D "Slick Chick", RFC Sopwith Pup, A5M2 Claude, Schneider Cup 1926 Macchi M.39, German F-104G JaboG34, Curtiss P-6E, Curtiss P-36A USAAC, Piper SuperCub floatplane (PA-18-150), Russian built Nieuport 11, Albatros D.Va Seefrontstaffel 1, Bf109G-12 (two-seater trainer), Texas ANG F-86D,  Post-war Hawker Tempest Mk.V

#3 A340 Pilot

A340 Pilot

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:28 AM

Me too!

Luck and superstition wins every time!

In progress: 5x 1/24 Airfix Typhoon.

#4 paul fisher

paul fisher

Hooked For Life

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:50 PM

Now you're hitting me right where I live! I would love to do the Fury, and have  been gathering data for many years.What has held me back is my experiences doing Navy jets that did not see combat.They don't sell in numbers high enough to be profitable so I throttled back on my plans to do them all.

It could be that there are enough of us Navair guys to make it work, but I don't know.It's hard to build a business case that ends up in the black for 

most fifties jets, other than the Panther, which has done very well for me.I am currently looking into some changes to how I do business that might make it doable, but it will be  a while before I can see where things are going.

Besides the fact that I love the work, this is not a great way to make for a comfortable retirement, so I gotta think things through. If I didn't need to make a living at it you can rest assured there would be some really cool kits coming out of this workshop.

• Starfighter, Harold, Zero77 and 1 other like this

#5 OldTroll

OldTroll

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:45 PM

....What has held me back is my experiences doing Navy jets that did not see combat.They don't sell in numbers high enough to be profitable so I throttled back on my plans to do them all.

Just being nosy, so feel free not to respond, but how many copies of a full model constitute a profitable number?  I would guess 100+?

Ron S.

#6 MostlyRacers

MostlyRacers

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:06 PM

I'm game for a FJ-3 or -4 ... but then I am also game for a F11-F, and have bought all of Paul's Navy fighters ...

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers, 31 August 2017 - 09:07 PM.

• timvkampen and Zero77 like this

#7 LSP_Ray

LSP_Ray

• LSP Moderator
  • 9,039 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 02:37 AM

I'm game for a FJ-3 or -4 ... but then I am also game for a F11-F, and have bought all of Paul's Navy fighters ...

Hubert

Me, too!

• Zero77 likes this
Posted Image
Ray "Bad Omen" Peterson

#8 thierry laurent

thierry laurent

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,603 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:23 AM

It is or at least was on the Kittyhawk list of future releases...

#9 LSP_Ron

LSP_Ron

• LSP Moderator
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:07 PM

That's a bird with a close personal connection.  The guy that restored the only flying example is a close family friend.  He sold it about 10 years ago now.

Ron

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Douglas Adams

When I die, I'll be on time

#10 Zero77

Zero77

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:16 AM

Now you're hitting me right where I live! I would love to do the Fury, and have  been gathering data for many years.What has held me back is my experiences doing Navy jets that did not see combat.They don't sell in numbers high enough to be profitable so I throttled back on my plans to do them all.

It could be that there are enough of us Navair guys to make it work, but I don't know.It's hard to build a business case that ends up in the black for 

most fifties jets, other than the Panther, which has done very well for me.I am currently looking into some changes to how I do business that might make it doable, but it will be  a while before I can see where things are going.

Besides the fact that I love the work, this is not a great way to make for a comfortable retirement, so I gotta think things through. If I didn't need to make a living at it you can rest assured there would be some really cool kits coming out of this workshop.

Indeed, profitability is the problem. Of course nobody live only to make the others happy, and everybody have to make money to live.

What about kick-starter or something? Or a subscription? I mean, the project would require a minimum of subscribers (paying a percentage of the final price so it's more than just "yes i'll buy one !") before it can start. And if after 2 or 3 months there is still not enough people, the project is cancelled and the subscribers are refunded.

Does this business model exist in model kit manufacturing?

Following the big Photobucket rip-off attempt, all my pictures on the forum cannot display anymore. I try to reupload the RFI pictures, but i'm not sure i'd have enough time and energy to reupload the pictures of the WIP threads. If you're interested in a specific subject and want me to reupload some pictures, just let me know. :) 

Finished : F-16C Barak, F-4J VMF333, Czech Mig-19PM, Bell X-1, Russian Su-25 in Chechnya, Ta152H-1, Czech Avia S.199, Heinkel He162, Swiss AF Bf109G-6, Regia Aeronautica Bf109G-6, P-47D "Slick Chick", RFC Sopwith Pup, A5M2 Claude, Schneider Cup 1926 Macchi M.39, German F-104G JaboG34, Curtiss P-6E, Curtiss P-36A USAAC, Piper SuperCub floatplane (PA-18-150), Russian built Nieuport 11, Albatros D.Va Seefrontstaffel 1, Bf109G-12 (two-seater trainer), Texas ANG F-86D,  Post-war Hawker Tempest Mk.V

#11 Rob Colvin

Rob Colvin

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:19 PM

Perhaps use the Hasegawa saber kit as a conversion for the FJ-3......is that even possible?

• Tomcatfreak likes this

#12 LSP_Ray

LSP_Ray

• LSP Moderator
  • 9,039 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:46 AM

Pretty sure the Navy managed to change nearly every feature of the aircraft, if subtly.

• Harold likes this
Posted Image
Ray "Bad Omen" Peterson

#13 Tailspin Turtle

Tailspin Turtle

LSP Member

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:21 PM

Perhaps use the Hasegawa saber kit as a conversion for the FJ-3......is that even possible?

Definitely possible. If you're desperate or indifferent to accuracy. See http://tailspintopic...fury-redux.html

#14 paul fisher

paul fisher

Hooked For Life

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:02 PM

Hi folks, 

As Tommy has indicated, there is virtually nothing in common between an F-86 and the FJ-4 Fury.Even the FJ-3 is a vastly different animal, although the similarities are there.

I have a long standing urge to do the FJ-4B, but only time will tell!

• johncrow, Harold, otis252 and 2 others like this

#15 otis252

otis252

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:12 AM

YES! The great one is at least thinking about it.

Chuck

• Harold likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users