Revell 1/32 Spitfire Mk I "Old Skool" Style (Picture Heavy&#33

fightersweep

It was one of the first three Revell 1/32 kits.

Released in 1967 along with the 109F and P-40E.

1967??  Crikey, I wasn't even a teenager then, I guess I started with the LSPs earlier than I thought.

Thanks guys for all the nostalgic comments. Certainly the essence of this group build! I've actually started sticking some bits together, so a progress report is around the corner.

I wasn't born until 1969, but I do remember seeing some of the Revell LSPs on the shelves back in the late 70s and early 80s, although it was the 1/24 Airfix Superkits that I really lusted after. Personally, I love the big Airfix Spit and have 12 in the stash, with three on go at the moment, but the Revell 1/32 Spit has a special place with me as it was the first large scale build I undertook.

I do remember a day in 1981. I had a £1 pocket money, and myself and my best mate (another keen modeller) got wind of some cheap 1/32 Revell kits in a local discount shop. The sort of shop that sold cheap toys, Solid State radios, Marigold gloves and mop buckets. We went in, and they had piles of 1/32 Revell 109Gs, Aluetian Tiger P-40s, and Stukas...all for a £1 each...which was even cheap then! It was awful! We wanted them all, but could only afford one. We walked out with 109G each.

Happy days!

Best regards;
Steve

Edited by fightersweep

Thanks guys for all the nostalgic comments. Certainly the essence of this group build! I've actually started sticking some bits together, so a progress report is around the corner.

I wasn't born until 1969, but I do remember seeing some of the Revell LSPs on the shelves back in the late 70s and early 80s, although it was the 1/24 Airfix Superkits that I really lusted after. Personally, I love the big Airfix Spit and have 12 in the stash, with three on go at the moment, but the Revell 1/32 Spit has a special place with me as it was the first large scale build I undertook.

I do remember a day in 1981. I had a £1 pocket money, and myself and my best mate (another keen modeller) got wind of some cheap 1/32 Revell kits in a local discount shop. The sort of shop that sold cheap toys, Solid State radios, Marigold gloves and mop buckets. We went in, and they had piles of 1/32 Revell 109Gs, Aluetian Tiger P-40s, and Stukas...all for a £1 each...which was even cheap then! It was awful! We wanted them all, but could only afford one. We walked out with 109G each.

Happy days!

Best regards;

Steve

It took me years before I could find the Aleutian Tiger, Stuka or the Seafire...

I'd forgotten, I did the Stuka as well.

Someone brought one of the 109s (the G I think) to the club recently.  He'd made a very nice job of it with no more than a little fettling here and there and a superb paint job, in other words modelling skills.  They may be old kits, and streets behind the likes of Tamiya in terms of modernity, but you can still produce a great model from them.

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys;

Just doing the decent thing here and wanting to explain why there hasn't been any progress on this build. Business over Christmas and into the new year was hectic, which is great, but my Mum has been in hospital also for the last five weeks. Subsequently, I haven't had any time at the bench since I started this thread. In fact, I think I cursed myself for starting the thread in the first place!!  :doh:

Not sure what the usual form is on group builds, but I still want to see this through to completion. I'm building it oob, so it shouldn't be a long job. 

It's just been crazy here. Hope the dust settles soon!

Best regards;
Steve

Don't worry, everyone has life "stuff" that prevents time at the bench. I've also been away for work and fun for the last couple of weeks, so no progress lately.

Hopefully you'll get some time, but more importantly your Mum gets better. You'll get it done I'm sure. :)

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

Hi Guys;

Just doing the decent thing here and wanting to explain why there hasn't been any progress on this build. Business over Christmas and into the new year was hectic, which is great, but my Mum has been in hospital also for the last five weeks. Subsequently, I haven't had any time at the bench since I started this thread. In fact, I think I cursed myself for starting the thread in the first place!!  :doh:

Not sure what the usual form is on group builds, but I still want to see this through to completion. I'm building it oob, so it shouldn't be a long job. 

It's just been crazy here. Hope the dust settles soon!

Best regards;

Steve

That's the nice thing about this hobby. Kits have no expiration date; it will be waiting for you when you're ready!