USS Arizona

LSP_Ron

Hey Ron.

Did Trumpeter end up including the third plane?

I mentioned this to Song when they first announced this kit but wasn't sure if he was able to do anything about it.

The PE will be fun.

Hey Ron.

Did Trumpeter end up including the third plane?

I mentioned this to Song when they first announced this kit but wasn't sure if he was able to do anything about it.

The PE will be fun.

Unfortunately no, there are only two Kingfishers in my kit molded in clear plastic. :shrug:

Here are some more pics. I've worked on this a lot since last posting but it doesn't look much different. It is a lot of work but it's been fun. The 5" guns are little kits on their own with 9 pcs each! The PE will be interesting to say the least. I painted the turret tops a little lighter red then the hull so the didn't look the same. I have a lot of touch up to do on the gray to clean up sprue attachment points to parts.

Did I mention it was big?

P2160021.jpg

P2160023.jpg

P2160024.jpg

P2160022.jpg

P2160020.jpg

That is looking good! Did you do anything about the haswpipes (sp?). Some people are trying to rotate them into the proper orientation.

No I didn't. I've seen that mentioned on line but it's far more work than I wanted to tackle. I am just building this out of box for the fun of it.

Cheers

PS the Photo etch will be really fun, I just noticed there is no mention anywhere in the instructions on what railings go where and there are three types of railing and more qty of some types than others.

What to do?

Well isn't this is fun! I started adding PE railings to the fighting tops decking and within a short time I am ready to strangle someone (not literally) but I am so frustrated!!!!!!!!

I start on one end of a run and even with a short piece of railing by the time I work to the other end, the starting end has detached! I've been fighting this order of events for over 3 hours now and finally I am so PO'd I ripped it all off which ruined the PE I've used so far. The edges of the areas I've tried to glue the rail to are so built up with CA that now I will need to re-finish them and start over.

This is supposed to be fun right? This ship will likely end up with no PE railings as believe me, the kit ones are a total pain to use.

Ron

Best trick I have found for this is, before putting glue on, attach the railing with small strips tape every inch or so. This way you can get the alignment perfect before putting any glue on. Use white glue to tack the railing on. From what I understand railing attached with CA has a tendency to pop loose in changing temperatures and/or humidity. Once the glue dries remove the tape and put white glue where the tape was as well.

I have also seen people suggest taking the above one step farther by cutting the longer railings down into smaller bits. Never tried it though.

EDIT: The above assumes that the PE railings are of the variety that have a horizontal rail that runs along the surface where it it to be attached. I have not come across the any of the PE sets that don't have this yet.

The glue can be thinned with water and the gloss of it should disappear with a coat of clear flat.

Edited by cyarborough

Looking really nice so far Ron.. clean build baby!! As far as attatching the PE rails.. from the experiences i've had, anything more than about 3" (5" if you have a really good, clean run) is difficult to do without something happening. I usually cut mine down to workable sections and cut them where the horizontal rails meet the upright. get everything stuck in place with some tiny pieces of Tamiya tape, then use white glue (i've been using Formula 560 canopy glue, but you have to thin it down as it's kind of thick... has a high "initial tack" tho, and dries pretty clear). I'll glue the uprights first and let them dry good.. about an hour or so with this stuff, then release the tape with CA de-bonder.. which has worked pretty good as far as realeasing the tape without causing any problems with the paint, but you might wanna do a check beforehand. Then i'll work the next small section.. tape it in place, glue the uprights, then glue the horizontals to the neighboring post. it's a lot more work, but it usually comes out a LOT cleaner. You tend to get less bends in your horizontal rails this way too.

Hope that helps buddy!

Keep the faith!

Jerry

PS.. for the curvy stuff, i've got an assortment of wooden dowels that i've acquired over the years.. if you can find a grab bag of them at a local hobby store or something, they're worth their weight in gold! bend them around one that's slightly smaller than what you're finished piece needs to be.. it'll spring back some even if you've annealed it over a flame.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys

Well I've been plotting along with this slowly. Jerry, special thanks for your advise on PE. The white glue works absolutely GREAT! Your suggestion turned this into a a joy to do. I have truly enjoyed adding all the railings to the bridge and fighting tops. To a trained eye they are not perfect but this is my first try at this so I am pretty tickled on how they look :speak_cool:

I have to give Trumpeter a big thumbs up with this kit. From what I have read it does have a few accuracy issues but it has been a joy to build, it's well thought out, the instructions are super (other than lacking any info on the PE placement) and everything fits well.

P3110003.jpg

P3110002.jpg

P3110004.jpg

I am about to start railings on the hull.

P3110005.jpg

Thanks Keith. Slowly but surely I am moving along. The bridge and funnel are mounted. Just need to add the cranes, ship's boats and aircraft then all the deck railings and I will be close to done. I've started a little dry brushing for weathering but it doesn't show up that well in these pictures. I have lots of touch ups to do. I think I have them all address yet every time I look at this thing I see more areas to touch up!

P3170006.jpg

P3170001.jpg

P3170002.jpg

P3170003.jpg

P3170004.jpg

P3170005.jpg