1/32 U-boot VIIc conning tower

jeroenpeters

Hi Kevin,

That's an amazing feature! I've seen some pictures that were probably taken from this reel.

Thanx a lot. I've already found some unique details present on the U564 that are not included in the kit,

but are easy to scratch. I'm still a long way from concerning myself with details though.

I hope to post some serious progress this weekend.

Cheers,

Jeroen

Ok. Here goes:

I've been spraying thinner from my airbrush at this thing as if I was sandblasting it...

Layer by layer the paint came off. I now have a grey desk... But also a bare conning tower.

I took off all the railings and other small items and soaked them in a bath of Aceton. Works great.

Almost ready to re-assemble this beast. AND found a wooden base for it that fits.

uboot11.jpg

THEN I managed to 'win' a WW2 U-boot Ampere meter from AEG on Ebay.

uboot13.jpg

AND I made some progress on the Seehund:

uboot12.jpg

As you can see. I'm submerged in modeling lately....

Edited by jeroenpeters

Jeroen,

When I was having some paint grief one the the members (mouse) pointed me to this article using Simple Green

<<</Article Link 1>>>

I am not sure if this is available in Holland but thought I would point it out

<<<Link 2>>>>

Cheers

Ron

Never heard of this product and will definately check if this is available in Holland.

I wish I knew of it's existence before I started rinsing with pure thinner...

Thnx for the heads up though!

Today the Master models 20mm barrel arrived.

Simply sawed off the white metal barrel. Drilled a hole in the gun and inserted the new barrel.

Took off all the fittings and re-glued them after cleaning up.

This baby is the first to recieve some paint!

Almost ready to re-attach all the railings and smaller parts to the tower.

Cheers,

Jeroen

uboot14.jpg

Sooooo....

The Seehund is finally done. Added a metal towing cable and some scratches, rust, etc..

Looks nice next to the Hecht. An obsolete design by the time the Seehund came out, so it was used for training purposes for Seehund crew.

The Seehund sits on copper tubes that fit in slightly bigger copper tubes. That way you can take it off it's base, and back on. Don't know why I would

want to do that, but it's... well... neat!

Allready eyeballing the Verlinden Biber. There is one of these Biber's pretty close to where I live, next to the entrance of a metal scrapyard or something like that.

I was actually thinking of making it in that horrible scheme. Not sure yet..

uboot17.jpg

uboot18.jpg

uboot19.jpg

uboot20.jpg

uboot21.jpg

Nice job on the beenie dude! That is the first time that I have seen that model built! Good job man. The 20mm gun rocks as well. It's too bad no one makes the tower for a Mark9 type as they were the most successful of the Kriegsmarine boats. I have some excellent pics of one at the wars' end taken in Canada.It had 2X twin 20mm and a quad 20mm on the cigarette deck.

J

Nice job on the beenie dude! That is the first time that I have seen that model built! Good job man. The 20mm gun rocks as well. It's too bad no one makes the tower for a Mark9 type as they were the most successful of the Kriegsmarine boats. I have some excellent pics of one at the wars' end taken in Canada.It had 2X twin 20mm and a quad 20mm on the cigarette deck.

J

Hi Jerry,

Thnx. And you're right. I wish there were more 1/35 or 1/32 submarine subjects out there. The conning tower has a strange kind of attraction to me. The Flak version is very 'conning' as well! :speak_cool:

The guy I bought this kit from (if he's reading this: Hi there!) had the full hull VIIC in his living room. A pretty impressive piece of styrene, resin, white metal and PE.

Right now I'm also drawn to the S100 Schnellboot. These subjects are a welcome change from all the micro-fiddling at my Large scale planes!

Cheers,

Jeroen

Hi Jerry,

Thnx. And you're right. I wish there were more 1/35 or 1/32 submarine subjects out there. The conning tower has a strange kind of attraction to me. The Flak version is very 'conning' as well! :speak_cool:

The guy I bought this kit from (if he's reading this: Hi there!) had the full hull VIIC in his living room. A pretty impressive piece of styrene, resin, white metal and PE.

Right now I'm also drawn to the S100 Schnellboot. These subjects are a welcome change from all the micro-fiddling at my Large scale planes!

Cheers,

Jeroen

I was always fascinated by the Kriegsmarine as my Dad was a Navy guy.I am reading a super good book about the end of the war in East Prussia and learning how much the German Navy was involved. Lots of sea evacs,u-boat activity and major combat involving the last capital ships in their inventory. Some ships shot out the rifling in their main batteries supporting the Wehrmacht in Courland,etc. The 2 largest maritime disasters in the war occured in the Baltic with the sinking of the Wilhelm Gustlov and another liner.

It was the only place that they could still operate as the allies made it suicide for the Kriegsmarine anywhere else!

J

Hi Cees,

Thnx! But this thing has me in it's grip!

I'm building and painting the sub assemblies.

Here's a shot of the small collum that holds the rotating compass.

The usuall stuff. Scratches and some rust. The compass' glass will get some future.

I'm re-applying the cleaned railings, decks, etc.. Also cleaned up the parts of the 5 figures and empaled their heads to make for easy painting. :speak_cool:

uboot22.jpg

uboot23.jpg

Edited by jeroenpeters