Dragon Scharnhorst

ladder4boy

Update time! Finally. In case you're wondering what I've been doing for the past week, it's been putting little tiny pieces of tape all over my deck! finally got it all done and I'm quite happy with how it turned out. Here's a pic after pulling the tape off....

basepaint.jpg

started out priming the deck with Tamiya white primer from the rattle can.

mask off where id banners are going

light coat of tamiya deck tan thinned 50% with tamiya LACQUER thinner.

tiny pieces of tape

Second coat of deck tan thinned 50% with lacquer thinner

tiny pieces of tape

mix 25% Vallejo light mud into above mix

tiny pieces of tape

mix another 25% Vallejo light mud (from the panzer aces line) into same mix.. may need to thin some more

tiny pieces of tape

straight Vallejo mud sprayed

tiny pieces of tape

50% mix of tamiya deck tan with 50% tamiya buff

tiny pieces of tape

tamiya buff

think that adds up to about 8 coats so it's important to make sure the paint is THIN!! you won't even be able to tell there's a color shift as you're adding tape and not removing the previous pieces.. just try to be random with the placement and it works itself out pretty good! at least i think it does!

painted the red for the ID band in the same manner, but it looked like Fido's a$$ so i just painted it solid Model Master Rot.. was a pretty good match for the red on the decals. Plain white for the swastika background.. then did a wash of burnt umber over the whole thing while the flat paint was still, uhm.. flat. Gives a nice color shift and sticks to the paint a little to kind of bring everything together.. let that dry for a day, then gloss coated the whole deck with Model Master Gloss lacquer thinned 50%. Put the PITA 2 piece swastikas on and this is how it looks as of now..

wash1.jpg

wash2.jpg

final pin wash and flat coat to follow and it's ready to get taped up so the hull can get painted. Including the main deck and 2 other decks (behind bruno and the sides of the hangar) there's about 10 hours in taping and painting there. The effect looks subtle enough in person and i think it was worth the effort, but it is fairly mind numbing work :mental: we'll see how the next stage turns out! Hull painting is next, followed by deck by deck build up.

thanks for looking in.. all criticisms greatly appreciated!

tiny pieces of tape haunting my dreams here..

cheers!

Jerry

Did you get the etch set for it? and if so, who's did ya get??

Not yet, It comes with brass etch railings and other parts. I thought I would look these over first then decide if I'll get an AM one

It also comes with about two dozen little 1/200 figures which is pretty neat.

Sweet! I know they also have their own upgrade set.. which isn't priced bad at all..

linky

Looks like it'll be a fun build! Finally looking forward to getting some more paint on some of these parts but i've gotta blow up my reference pics to see what's what on this camo scheme. Gonna have a quadruple build going on here pretty soon.. have to finish up my JU-88, do my phantom for the group build, start snippin' sprues on the Arado, and finish up this bad boy for my LHS competiton in March! :unsure: Yeah.. maybe March of next year! I'll tell ya one thing tho.. working on this project with all the sub-assemblies and fiddly bits and trying to figure out how to make it all go together in the end has really helped me in ways i never expected.. thinking it'll cut my build time down on 32nd scale stuff considerably.. at least that's what i'm telling myself!

and have fun with those little figures. I got FIVE with mine. they're awsomely detailed.. better than most 72nd scale figures.. but what am i going to do with 5 of them?? maybe man one gun on a ghost ship? :shrug:

trying to figure out how to make it all go together in the end has really helped me in ways i never expected.. thinking it'll cut my build time down on 32nd scale stuff considerably.. at least that's what i'm telling myself!

It likely will :speak_cool: planning sub assemblies, painting stages etc definitely speeds things up if you want it to.

Wow...awesome idea on the deck. I've partly finished the Tamiya Bismark and have been keen to see how these Dragon kits compare. Wow that PE must be so incredibly fiddly. The putty over the gun barrels near the turret looks very realistic. Keep up the great work.

Cheers Matty

Thanks Matt.. can't really take credit for the blast bags tho.. that's the new DS plastic that Dragon is using for tracks and flexible stuff. Looks fantastic and glues with regular styrene cement.

Thanks Don.. took a toll on my psyche tho.. taking a break for a few days and working on my Phantom to get over it. Have to fix the rudders and one of the prop shafts since i screwed up and put them on too early and broke them back off painting. Gonna work on that this weekend and try to get my hull red on, then start doing the camo. Using the White ensign paints, so it'll have to dry a good day between coats, but from previous experience with them they spray and brush beautifully.

thanks again for lookin!

Jerry

Your decking came out beautifully! You really captured the texture. Did you drill out all those port holes? The parts look well made, the molds must still be fresh. Did you encounter much flashing? The parts fit looks great, it great when you don't need filler. Very cool ship. It nice to see something other than the usual candidates.

Zathros... yeah.. drilled 'em all out with a pin vise. The kit portholes were kind of shallow, so i thought it would be easier to drill them than try to paint them in. Took a while, but i think it was worth it. Absolutely NO flash on this kit anywhere, and 99% of the mold seams cleaned up with one scrape of an x-acto blade. There's a few sink marks on the hull and the tops of the main turrets, but nothing a quick coat of primer won't cover up. All in all, the cleanest molded, best fitting kit i've ever worked on!

Zathros... yeah.. drilled 'em all out with a pin vise.

I also drilled mine out on the Arizona two nights ago. I started with a pin vice then realized my cordless drill was variable speed so I started using it. It worked great and saved me from sore fingers using that pin vice :speak_cool:

You guys have steady hands! I probably would have opted for the hand pin vice route, but I have steadier hands when doing something manual, opposed to holding a drill (bad neck, hands paid price). I own a small machine shop but free hand drilling like that is something completely different Kudos to you both!!

Looking real good there buddy. Watching you bring this model together is great fun for me. I keep telling myself I need a Fletcher now, partly because of the inspiration derived from your ship, and a couple of others here. Good stuff.

Zathros.. i feel your pain! That's another reason i went this route... I've got a bunch of bulging disks in my neck and it makes my hands go numb if i look down or left for more than 30 seconds.. started with a needle point to mark center, then a small drill bit in case i got off center too bad i could correct it.. then finally used the final sized drill bit chucked in my cordless. took a lot of time, but after i got the centers tapped under the magnifying lamp, i just sat in front of the TV while i drilled the rest. Only took one episode of "great planes" to do and i only messed up a couple of holes.

Kevin.. you should get that Fletcher! It's on my top 5 to do list. the nice thing is that it's gonna take a while to build one, so if you get tired and put it away for a couple of weeks you don't feel so bad. Taking a little break now to work on my phantom. IOm re-building the prop shafts and re-attatching the rudders now so i can get the hull mounted on a temporary display board.. Once the hull red is on i'll have to stack up all the sub-assemblies and mark out the camo.. then the serious fun can start. Still super-psyched with this build.. all it really needs is patience and assembly skills as there aren't really and huge "pitfalls" to tackle.

And i know what you mean about the other ships on here.. now i'm wanting to build the Elco and a couple of paper boats. There's some serious skills being shown out there! Not gonna go Ramsteins way tho.. my wife would kill me if i tried to build something that big! it sure is fun to watch someone else do it tho! And Rutmans got me looking at that "constitution" kit every time i go to my LHS.. so much i wanna do.. so little time!

Cheers, and thanks for lookin!

Jerry