Dragon Scharnhorst

ladder4boy

Got this for christmas.. From what i've read it'll either turn into a museum quality finished product or put you in a mental institution. Time shall tell!

scharny1.jpg

The base is 90% done at least! if nothing else, it'll be heavy enough to make a good doorstop. :huh:

One thing of note.. 1300 parts in this bad boy.. all done in NINETEEN steps! makes one of their armor models look like a 2 piece jigsaw puzzle..

Should be fun! Plan on posting in progress pics if there's no objections (and i can get the macro on my camera to focus in on some of these parts!)

cheers!

Jerry

sorry kev.. Glen is correct.. 1:350. Playing with the big parts now. everything seems to fit like a dream. As soon as the camera charges up I'll take some snaps of it. And of course, i'll be starting construction with the guns! the big 'uns! Plan on finishing her in her final color scheme, which should be a nice challenge!

Trains, Planes and Ships in any order.

I really debated purchasing the Scharnhorst but wanted this one more.

I really like the larger scales in ships.

P1010050A.jpg

Barry

quick response to your query on the instructions Ron.. NO! i've got 5 colors of highlighter going, and i'm having to double some colors over top of each other here!! 2 pages of hand-written notes of stuff i've found online of Bruno Schiel's (sp?) excellent build for the upcoming issue of FSM and one other build.. and that's just for the fiddly bits! I figure if i get done with less than 200 hours in this thing i'll be happy. Building main battery Anton right now.. something like 14 PE parts on it.. gun itself is 8 or 9 plastic parts.. but it fits like a dream and looks GOOD! no complaints (other than the instructions) thus far.. looks like no aftermarket will be needed (with the exception of the dragon handrail PE). Barrels are all pre-drilled and look fine. No flash.. hardly any mold seams to speak of.. the DS plastic for the blast bags is a joy to work with.. Again, time will tell, but so far, so good! Looks as if the portholes are gonna have to be drilled tho..they're kind of shallow and i don't think they'll take a wash very well. There's only about five hunnard of 'em tho, so shouldn't take too long! :BANGHEAD2:

2 hours in and still having fun! :mental:

Jerry

Nice. Bring on the WiP!

Might join you a little later in the year with a Banner Arizona. Only difference will be mine cost about 10 bucks, only has about 50 bits and needs a ton of work. Bought lots of AM for mine.

Got some planes to finish first...

working on "progress" now! unfortunately, this is gonna be a verrrryy long build! worked about 5 hours on it yesterday and got 1 main battery built sans photo-etch, and part of the lower bridge area completed. Fit is excellent.. using the plastic doors instead of the etch ones because the detail is almost the same.. not "better" enough to fiddle with. The problem is pretty much EXCESSIVE parts count! the detail is there.. in DROVES!! but i just finished the catapult and it was 14 parts, 6 of them microscopic! Will try to post pics this evening, but will mostly be sub-sub assemblies. Forgot how much fun ships can be.. it's like building 500 seperate models and incorperating them into one big diorama! :mental:

Cheers!

Jerry

a few updates.. Now that i've got one of each of the guns built (and the construction sequence figured out!) things should move a bit easier!

Size comparison with Tami Spit:

sizecomparison.jpg

C- Turret:

caeserturret.jpg

(18 parts) :hmmm:

Arado Catapult:

catapult.jpg

(13 or 14 parts here i think)

and one of the AA guns on top of one of the smaller batteries:

pita.jpg

Looks good, but the flak has 7 plastic parts and 6 PE parts on it.. and it's 1/4" tall! sorry if the photos aren't that good, but that's as much focus as i can get on my cam in "micro" mode. half of the stuff wouldn't be noticed if it wasn't attatched, but i'm using this build as an "exercise" as well, so maybe the next time i have to add 4 pieces of PE to a gun sight on a LSP it won't be an all day challenge! can't say enough about the detail, fit, and molding of this kit. Everything is beautiful.. there's just a LOT of it! gonna try to do some work on the actual ship elements today and try to give my eyesight a rest.

If you're building this kit, i recommend 2 VERY good sets of tweezers for each hand, an opti-visor, and lamp with a magnifying lens on it, and lots and lots of patience and super glue de-bonder to get the small parts off your fingers!

10 hours in and still having fun!

Jerry