Do 335 B-2 HK Models

plane_mc

Mark, stunning build the tonal effects on the engine and pit in my opinion are perfect......

Read a great deal about HKM so always look forward to seeing a build log of one their kits........one day when they release the Lanc I'll get first hand experience.........hitting follow button now.........

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long to post again, I have been working slowly and steadily, I just haven't been able to get it posted.

I got the wings put together with no issues.  There are a couple of places that will need just a little putty.

IMG_0015r_zpsmi5ufpie.jpg

IMG_0016r_zpsirfrxjnp.jpg

I decided to add some detail to the wing top gun camera.  I drilled a hole where the “glass†area was and made up and inserted a camera from a piece of styrene rod drilled out and filled with Krystal Klear. I also added a lens made from some clear packaging material.  (The glare is intentional on the 2nd picture to show the outer lens, it is clear.) 

IMG_0020r_zps6q39nbba.jpg

IMG_0021r_zps9ac7iffp.jpg

Next I started working on the landing gear.  I am using the kit landing gear with the Brassin resin wheels.  There are quite a few ejector pin marks on the main gear door that needed to be filled.  This was surprising as none of the other doors had ejector pin marks in them. I am also eliminating the brake line that is molded on the door, I am going to add a brake line later on.

IMG_0578r_zpsl6zlpozi.jpg

I noticed that the nose landing gear does not have a retraction strut.  The hole is in the gear bay for it. I looked at the images/instructions for the A-1 version and it is included in that kit.  I don't know why it was eliminated from the B-2 kit.  I made a retraction strut assembly out of styrene tube, rod and sheet.  It is not perfect, but close enough for me. I will be adding the hydraulic lines to all three landing gear retraction struts.

IMG_0569r_zpscz5hr8yo.jpg

IMG_0571r_zpsbvgryrtj.jpg

IMG_0572r_zpskyahe9ua.jpg

I added the exhaust pipes and heat shields to the engines.

Front:

IMG_0573r_zps3fxjw8wq.jpg

Rear:

IMG_0576r_zpslakxjla8.jpg

After taking the pictures, I noticed the seam lines I missed when cleaning up the exhaust.  I can't believe I didn't see them until looking at the pictures.  I got the lines cleaned up and now I just need to repaint them.

to be continued. . .

Now for the part that has been taking me a LONG time. 

I really like the clean lines of the aircraft without the doors open, but wanted to be able to see the engines from time to time.  I debated about what to do to be able to have it both ways, but didn't just want to pop off the doors and have them sitting on the ground. 

For the rear engines doors, I took a trick from the car modelers and created some hinges out of 0.020†music wire held in place with some sheet styrene.  It took a while to get the right bend in them to make them operate properly.  Of course, after gluing them in place, I found out the top edge (hinged) of the door needed to be beveled on the inside to clear the fuselage when opening. It took a lot of scraping and cussing because of the hinge in the way, but I got them where they are working pretty smoothly. They will need to be tweaked just a little when I get the top piece glued to the fuselage.  I have to paint the interior of the doors before I can glue the top piece to the fuselage.

IMG_0004r_zpshcnpq6sn.jpg

IMG_0005r_zps3qvuxhtf.jpg

IMG_0006r_zpsbfggylss.jpg

IMG_0007r_zpshxj7twox.jpg

IMG_0022rm_zpsjcu4zofh.jpg

IMG_0023r_zpszpts2jvx.jpg

IMG_0024r_zpsqmp5cgvj.jpg

IMG_0025r_zpsw24zuvpx.jpg

IMG_0026r_zpsrodemj8d.jpg

IMG_0027r_zpsnopiry9a.jpg

I am currently trying to figure out how to make the door braces workable so I can have them fold up against the door or in the fuselage when not in use.

I am also working on the doors for the front engine, but they have to be done differently as the hinges like I used on the rear doors hit the engine when trying to close the doors.   I have a design figured out, just not finished up yet.  I will post pictures when I get it finished.  I haven't looked at the bomb bay doors yet to see if I can hinge them too.

I have company coming in for a visit, so it may be a few weeks before I get the next post up.

Thanks for looking.

Nice!  I just aquired the HKM Do-335 A and it does look to be a fantastic kit.     Looking forward to more progress, and another good build guide for me.    :)   Model on!

Thanks Brian, I am sure you will enjoy the kit, it is really nice.

Just excellent progress for sure. Your removable door hinges as well as the front strut detailing is really outstanding.

Joel

Thanks Joel.

Ok, so I like what you've done with the engines - in fact I love it - but those door hinges are PROPERLY cool. Serious ingenuity, I tip my hat to you sir.

Jim

Thank you Jim.

Hi Mark,

If the creativity and talent you showed all the scratch building on your B-17 is anything to go by, you've got another winner in the works here! 

Great job so far, I'm looking forward to more :)

Craig

Thank you Craig, I need to get back to the B-17.

Super work, Mark!

Kev

Thanks Kev.

Too cool for school Mark. I have this same kit. You're pulling all the moves on this girl. Well done.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Troy

Thank you Troy, you will enjoy the kit.

Hello Mark

A very comprehensive and constructive building!

Wait for the follow

Fab

Thanks Fab.

Clever solution, Mark!

Thank you Alex.