how bad is the.... Revell P-38?

Mark M

Guest The Southern Bandit

I built the Hasegawa 1/48 P-38 once, seemed an OK kit but what a problem getting the two tails vertical, one was OK, the other preferred to lean outwards, had a sort of elastic band contraption to pull it inwards, used a low heat hairdryer on that sides boom, kept it in a warm cupboard for over a week and once I took the elastic bands off the tail fin still bent outwards ... most infuriating, never did finish that kit, LOL.

Have a Trumpy 1/32 P-38 now, not a bad looking kit, am aware of the obvious shortcomings in it and what to fix AM wise ... but you never know, it might just be Tamiya's next 1/32 subject ... we all live in hope I'm sure.

Yes, we do!

The Trumpy kit can be built into a fantastic plane, even OOB. It looks it's best when you leave the gunbays closed, because even with the available AM, the gun bay is inaccurate and missing some really noticable important pieces that no one makes.

The pit is decent, and can turn out nice with AM, and even ok without.

The shape of the overall plane is excellent. The rubber tires are good shape, but rubber.

With some brass barrels, some resin wheels, some AM for the pit, and some primer, it's a pretty good build!

Tim

With some brass barrels, some resin wheels, some AM for the pit, and some primer, it's a pretty good build!

Looks like someone has been peeking into my workroom.... Actually add in M Night fighter conversion, and appropriate decals , and you have my current project ,

Which has started top make real progress at last , its to make a matching paur with P-61B , a sort of one man mini group build...."Children of the night"...

Bringing it back to 1/32 Jack :)

Yes, we do!

The Trumpy kit can be built into a fantastic plane, even OOB. It looks it's best when you leave the gunbays closed, because even with the available AM, the gun bay is inaccurate and missing some really noticable important pieces that no one makes.

The pit is decent, and can turn out nice with AM, and even ok without.

The shape of the overall plane is excellent. The rubber tires are good shape, but rubber.

Tim

Meant to reply, Tim, totally agree with your analysis of the big Trumpy P-38, when I got mine many moons ago I did some research, your tip of keeping the nose gun bay closed is a good one and is what I'll do if I ever get round to building mine, the clear round parts on the inner engine panels facing the pilot are actually mirrors I believe, or very highly polished aluminum that can let the pilot see gear up or down <---- I think? but an easy fix for the kit and hardly worth mentioning.

Other stuff that needs fixed if I remember rightly, prop blades wrong shape and to small in diameter, something wrong with nose wheel leg too length wise?

Obviously if I go on to build this kit Tamiya will announce one as soon as I start it and that would then be the kit of choice and no doubt have an accurate nose gun area as well OOB and fix the other minor issues.

But you are right, this is far from one of Trumpeters worst kits and looks like it could build up into a showstopper with a bit of TLC and little AM too.

Oh Yeah, the provided kit decal and schemes looks a bit bland, but I am sure there are better decal options out there ... this old 1/32 Trumpeter P-38 is worthy of its own thread discussion really, Mods feel free to merge if there is one.

Edited by The Southern Bandit

Bringing it back to 1/32 Jack :)

Meant to reply, Tim, totally agree with your analysis of the big Trumpy P-38, when I got mine many moons ago I did some research, your tip of keeping the nose gun bay closed is a good one and is what I'll do if I ever get round to building mine, the clear round parts on the inner engine panels facing the pilot are actually mirrors I believe, or very highly polished aluminum that can let the pilot see gear up or down <---- I think? but an easy fix for the kit and hardly worth mentioning.

Yep, those ovals are polished aluminum, not glass. How Trumpy got that wrong I will never understand.

Other stuff that needs fixed if I remember rightly, prop blades wrong shape and to small in diameter, something wrong with nose wheel leg too length wise?

Both kits need new blades for sure, you're right on. Not sure about nose gear, though the Trumpy one does seem a tad tall to me.

Obviously if I go on to build this kit Tamiya will announce one as soon as I start it and that would then be the kit of choice and no doubt have an accurate nose gun area as well OOB and fix the other minor issues.

Then get off your ass and start building so they'll do it!!!! :)

Edited by BiggTim

Lol Tim, I really should crack on with my Trumpy one, but wow what a drooling prospect a Tamiya 1/32 P-38 would be, would be kit of the century for many I'm sure.

Hey,if Revell reworked their kit,they would have another winner.  To me, removing the rivets and scribing the panels would help tremendously.  New clear parts would also be welcome.  I thought I had heard a rumor last year that they would be updating moulds on some of their old kits-  please don't turn this comment into a new topic.