1:32nd B-17G 'Aluminium Overcast'

tomprobert

I've been beavering away on the insides of the B-17 over the last week or two, and thought it time for an update...

The interior sections I've assembled so far have been given a spraying of humbrol olive green as the real warbird isn't bronze green (as the WWII Forts were) neither does it appear to be US interior green and many modern restorations seem to be. I experimented with a few different greens and this seemed to be the closest match (to my colour-blind eye anyway!)

The forward bomb bay bulkhead has had some hydraulic lines picked out in black, the nose bulkhead has had its canvass cover for the rear of the instrument panel painted and added and some details picked out with a fine brush. There's still a few more details to add here which will be done in due course. The cockpit sidewalls have had the canvass padding sprayed and glued firmly in place where the oxygen bottles were stored on the wartime B-17s:

S1030611_zpscb94e209.jpg

My scratch-built rear passenger seats have been painted and some seat belts added from an Eduard set:

S1030648_zpse891247e.jpg

The radio room is almost complete, with just the seats to be added. I added some very fine grade sandpaper to the floor which was cut to shape replicate the anti-slip flooring in this area of the real 'Aluminium Overcast'. I scratch-built the doors from thin plastic card, and made the handles too. The radio operator's desk had some woodgrain decal added to it, which is far more effective than anything I could do with a paintbrush! There are plenty of interior pictures of this aircraft online so it was a reasonably easy task to paint this area as it appears today:

S1030607_zpsf0e12695.jpg

I'm glad there's no visible trace of the ball turret ammunition box mountings which were on the rear of the aft bulkhead - my surgery was a success!

S1030601_zps459df72e.jpg

S1030596_zpsc611df13.jpg

I then turned my attention to the flightdeck. This has had some changes from a wartime B-17 over its long life, and again the colours vary somewhat from what is expected of a WWII era aircraft. The throttle, mixture and propeller controls appear to be colour coded on Aluminium Overcast, with the main throttle being a vibrant red in real life. The control columns appear black, as well as the throttle box itself. I haven't added the seats yet, but modern warbirds don't seem to have the head-height amour plate protection as a wartime B-17 did, so I trimmed down the kit parts accordingly. Once again this aircraft's flightdeck floor has the anti-slip mats in place, so these were added, too:

S1030620_zps7d281659.jpg

With a sidewall and the scratch-built passenger seats in place - these still need cushions and seat belts adding:

S1030630_zps5c4a598f.jpg

And the two main sections where my efforts have been focused so far - the bomb bay catwalk is also adorned with anti-slip areas on the real aircraft, so more careful cutting and sticking required here:

S1030642_zpsebfd1844.jpg

It's all been great fun and fairly plane sailing so far - so until next time,

Tom

Amazing work Tom, just amazing.

Kev

I'll second what Kev said, wow! The anti-slip really sets it off. I know you're doing a warbird, but I'm still taking notes for mine

Cheers,

Craig

Thanks gents... Craig I've just spent a good few minutes admiring your B-17D conversion - it's looking brilliant!

Something to be aware of if you're planning open doors in the bulkheads is the fact that HK have moulded the rear radio room door with its hinges on the wrong side - they need flipping over.

Edited by tomprobert

Thanks gents... Craig I've just spent a good few minutes admiring your B-17D conversion - it's looking brilliant!

Something to be aware of if you're planning open doors in the bulkheads is the fact that HK have moulded the rear radio room door with its hinges on the wrong side - they need flipping over.

Thanks for the heads up Tom, I never would have picked that!

Craig

• 1 month later...

Although it's been a while since an update on this build, I've been slowly working away at it and things are slowly coming together with the interior.

Aluminium Overcast has no astrodome forward of the flightdeck (I presume this was removed in its rather varied post-war career) so it had to go. Once it had been removed with a sharp knife, I made a plastic card insert and blended it with the contours of the nose section. Missing rivet detail etc will be reinstated at a later stage:

DSC_0001_zpsvkyfvryw.jpg

DSC_0005_zpsrzdhswam.jpg

The radio room has been finished off, with seatbelts added from Eduard and cushions made from Milliput:

DSC_0010_zpszjvyn5ko.jpg

DSC_0012_zpsvxemefxr.jpg

Nose section is progressing well, although there's still a fair bit to add in here:

DSC_0014_zpskcohmcy9.jpg

The flightdeck has had the additional seats detailed and added into their position behind the pilots' seats:

DSC_0017_zps3scrfcvg.jpg

The whole interior has been sprayed green, as unlike war time Fortresses which were natural metal on the interior, most modern warbirds I've seen, Aluminium Overcast included, are painted inside. I imagine this is for anti-corrosion purposes. I've also added my scratch-built passenger seats to the rear fuselage:

DSC_0008_zpsykvai9rm.jpg

And this is where we're currently at - note the rear entry door has been opened up to allow a little more light into the model:

DSC_0007_zpslesou4y0.jpg

Still plenty to do and keep me occupied before the fuselage halves can be joined - another update soon, all being well.

Tom