1/24 Hurricane I, 32 Sqdn Biggin Hill/Hawkinge

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen and thanks for stopping by this dark corner of the forums!

Todays gripping episode!

Serials done:

P1212760.jpg

P1212761.jpg

Had to do a bit of re-touching on the grey codes but the painting is now finished.

Next job is to spray a drop of MM clear gloss to those areas where I'll be putting a few decal stencils.

I always use this stuff now instead of floor polish. Won't be seeing any of that stuff on my paintwork!

Phil

Next job is to spray a drop of MM clear gloss to those areas where I'll be putting a few decal stencils.

I always use this stuff now instead of floor polish. Won't be seeing any of that stuff on my paintwork!

Awwwww yeah mah brothah! You know the good stuff when ya see it!

B

Awwwww yeah mah brothah! You know the good stuff when ya see it!

B

Yup that klear stuff is only allowed out for glassware where it is superb.

The MM clear gloss went on various areas very well. Three to four coats in 10 minutes. Can't think of another clear gloss you can do that with.

Going to do the decal stencils today and I've started sanding off a lot of the paint! Pictures and explanation later :hmmm:

Phil

P1192741.jpg

You are getting sleepy. . . .

Dang Phil, your talent knows no bounds.

Thanks Mark, I wasn't going to say anything but I was looking at that picture the other night and it IS slightly hypnotic!!!

Hmm, might see what happens if I chant a bit of mantra at the same time? :evil_laugh:

On we go.

It is about this time that I have to decide how much I intend to weather this aeroplane.

The write up says it was delivered to the Squadron on 11th June 1940 and was snafoo'd by Pete as it was the newest of three replacements (rank has its privelidges I suppose!)

He flew it throughout the BoB until the end of August, so I have a decent time scale to work with.

I also intended to pose it as just being back from a sortie with the guns having been fired.

I thought about how to replicate the doped patches over the gun ports. Just painting or decals wasn't in my mind as I wanted to see if I could get the torn effect of shredded fabric around the orifices :rolleyes: so I thought about paper.

In the good old kitchen drawer there was a roll of brown greaseproof paper used for lining baking tins.

Its very thin and strong so I cut some shapes and glued them on with Gators Grip which really stuck well:

P1232762.jpg

I then thought about the groundcrew who would fix these on and paint over them with red dope so I masked as close as I could to give a tiny overlap then on with the matt red:

P1232768.jpg

With the light from a different angle it has stretched over the ports. Its also a tiny bit rough around the edges which I think looks quite authentic:

P1232769.jpg

Its quite a bright red at the moment but it will get the Tamiya weathering palette treatment.

Once its nice and dry I'm going to pierce each opening and tear out the centre with tweezers and hopefully get the desired effect.

Back in a mo with the start of the weathering.

Phil

Edited by PhilB

When I painted the aircraft I did the sky undersides first and overpainted around the leading edge of the wing then went back over with the camo colours.

Despite using a large blu-tack roll on the edge I still got quite a sharp demarcation which is prolly down to my crap airbrush work!

There is always a great debate about weathering which I won't go into but we have the extremes of a new aircraft with maybe just a little exhaust staining, to the balls out no paint left on the leading edge etc showing the bare metal underneath.

I decided to go for something of a middle ground.

I used my sponge sanders on the leading edge to start removing some of the camo to reveal the sky underneath.

I may be wrong but this would be the natural process before the sky went exposing the bare metal.

I sanded unevenly to try to get a decent effect.

Couple of views of the port wing:

P1232763.jpg

P1232764.jpg

I also sanded over the edge of the roundels to try and show them as slightly worn on the leading edge:

P1232765.jpg

P1232766.jpg

The plate at the back of the roundel wiill get a drybrush so I'm not worried about losing the paint there.

The next jobs are to detail the control cables for the rudder and rudder trim tab and also get some detail into the gear bay.

Phil

Very niiiice, like the markings especially the wing roundels after a quick rub... :coolio: Great idea regards the greaseproof paper - couldn't think of a better use for the stuff! Of course there wouldn't be much left of the dope over the gun port after a mission, unless a gun jammed. Looking forward to the next instalment...

What a great build you are doing in this dark and forgotten part of the forums, Phil! I have read through all the pages and really enjoyed it. I especially liked your idea of sanding the paint. Going to try that in a future build.

Best regards,

Hans

Niiiice Phil!

How fun is that, I am planning to do the same kind of "gun effect" on my spitfire but I have set things up so I start from the kit decals not the kitchen paper thingy. It will be interesting to share experience I guess!

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Loic

Thanks for the kind words Gentlemen!

Ok ok, Matt and Mike I'll do a jammed gun!!!!

I have reached the "small details" stage so I've been doing a bit of work on the tail area.

The rudder has two control cables each side. Trumpy molds the bracket and a wire which is about 1" wide in real scale so that had to go!

I used two pieces of 0.2mm wire to simulate the cables.

The photo's a bit crap but I'm hoping they will stand out a bit better under paint:

P1252770.jpg

The rudder trim tab has control cables which I reproduced using 0.2mm wire. The pe balances have no weights on the tips so I'm using thick CA to give them some weight.

There should actually be a tiny bracing plate from the balances onto the rudder on each side but I really thought enough was enough:

P1252772.jpg

Suppose I had better get the paint out and try and make this stuff looks like it belongs.

Phil