1:32 Hasegawa P47D "Slick Chick"

Rick K

Rick, as I said earlier, Im just about to build one of these (started the cockpit last night) so Im curious to see if you encountered a couple of flaws in the kit Ive heard about, and if/how you dealt with them.

The first is, I have read that there is a lip at the bottom of the cowling where it joins the fuselage- the cowling being slightly too small. I dont see any evidence of this on your kit, so did you come across it, and if so, how did you deal with it?

The other is some sink marks in the bottom of the wings and fuselage- again, I dont see them on your version, so were they even present?

Let me say again- you have done a fantastic job and I love the colour scheme- what is that red on the cowling? :bow:

Hi Danny.

The red is Gunge Insignia Red.  See my WIP on this. This is one way to solve the alignment issue.  After you close up the fuselage start with some minor surgery.  not too complicated.  Just take your time.

02_EngineMount.jpg

05_EngineMount.jpg

add a .05mm styrene card placed to recapture space lost from the "saw off" and give the repositioned engine mount some glue area...

06_EngineMount.jpg

engine mount positioned and glued...

07_EngineMount.jpg

styrene card shows "saw off" recovery...

10_EngineMount.jpg

and the final fit is good...

08_EngineMount.jpg

SINK MARKS

Yeah, had some sink marks and all were fixed with some Mr. Surfacer 500.  No pic of lower wing and fuselage fixes.  The upper wing sink marks appeared again after applying Alclad.  Every little surface imperfection shows up.  So take your time with surface prep.

IMG_5215.jpg

P47_SlickChickPaint11.jpg

Edited by Rick K

Wow! Lovely result!

Could you please share close ups of the nav lights? They seem to be tricky on that model and I love what you did with yours!

NAVIGATION LIGHTS

NavLightCut01.jpg

Cutting out the nav lights was truly a PITA.  Will have to do same to "Slick Chick".  Not looking forward to it.

NavLightCut02.jpg

Nav light cut out and will sand to fit clear lens.

625826fa-bfdb-49c1-a1df-5e105460a1c3.jpg

I drilled a well with .7mm drill in the nav light then carefully applied paint in the well.

NavLightDetail.jpg

The Russian Jug got a similar treatment with exception of the light bulb being drilled out.  Here I painted the recessed dimple for the nav light color.

Thanks for the step by step, Rick- most informative- even I should be able to attempt that! Ive never used MrSurfacer before, but I see it mentioned on most of the quality builds- Im guessing its a micro filler in a thin paste? Paint it on then sand it back?

Cant believe Hasegawa missed something as obvious as nav lights!?! :doh: