Airfix 1/24 North American P51D/K Mustang (Mk. IVA)

Sparzanza

Welcome back Sparz  :hi:

We like big Mustangs  :thumbsup:

Thanks Ben. Hopefully I will be able to finish this one as well.

I always wondered about this kit, you are making it look like a real gem. Great job!

Thanks Don. If I do manage to finish it, it will definitely be one of my best kits of all time.

welcome back mate

Cheers Mark.

Well, taking baby steps here. Managed to glue the windscreen into a position I'm happy with, using Micro Kristal Klear. I also used this as a filler for the large gap that appeared in the front of the windscreen. Might put some Tamiya putty on top of it once it's completely dry, seeing as most of the bottom will be painted anyway.

aqIQzln.jpg

jJfFH4f.jpg

Started filling up the rather large gap with some Tamiya white putty. It will probably require another application on top later before I can sand it smooth and be happy with it. I realised that I should mask off the glass to avoid damaging it, so I started doing that as well. Then I snapped a mock-up picture of the bird in all her glory.

6zYIBl1.jpg

GAxXwl6.jpg

One of the plastic bits that holds the droptanks in place had broken off during my manhandling, and I couldn't locate it. So I made a new one; easy enough.

S6WnX9C.jpg

Here's the second application of Tamiya white putty in front of the huge gap of the windscreen. I think I'll need a third application, even... possibly even a fourth (!) to be able to sand it smooth so it levels with the rest of the nose.

VkhiZVQ.jpg

GAxXwl6.jpg

Looks good, Bjorn.

aqIQzln.jpg

I'm shocked at how bad that fit is.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks for stopping by, Mark. Indeed. I'm not entirely convinced that my approach is the correct one in solving it. I can't think of any other workaround though. :(

I decided to glue the two top engine cowlings together, with the use of force and magic. Less parts to keep track of. I lined them up as best I could, using Revell Contacta... then I filled the gaps with Tamiya's extra thin cement - then taped it down. Hard. It's not a perfect fit by any means, but it is how they lined up over the engine. I will have to sand the back a little bit I guess.

zJdFHbX.jpg

I then masked off the sides of the windscreen, and filled the rest with Humbrol's Maskol. I will need to put more Tamiya putty in front though... careful sanding still reveals a step. We don't want that.

mlOx4Ar.jpg

Edited by Sparzanza

Dabbed some cockpit green on top of my masked windscreen with a sponge. Masked mainly with Maskol I should point out., which is why it is looking a bit odd. I seem to have gotten rid of any gaps and steps, at least! I think later tonight or tomorrow I can begin painting the light grey underneath.

fgMlnY2.jpg

Oh yeah, this is the scheme I'm going for:

A14003---A.jpg

Edited by Sparzanza

Cool scheme Sparzy  :speak_cool:

Thanks Ben!

Nice correction.  Great scheme.  Who makes the decals?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you Mark! It is OOB Airfix decals, by Cartograph! I've never had problems with them, so I look forward to the decaling stage as well.

174727-16559-94-pristine.jpg

Edited by Sparzanza