1/32 Tamiya P-51D Early, Cripes A'Mighty 3rd June 1944.

Maurice

G Day folks,

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas I would like to launch this new project. Being this a very special time of the year I would like to make a special tribute to Major George Preddy by modelling one of his famous mounts. 

This is the P-51D Cripes A'Mighty 3rd, HO-P, factory serial number 44-13321. Among a batch of brand new P-51Ds assigned to 352nd FG that month, Major Preddy took command of this ship and flew it for the first time 14th June 1944. This was the 3rd aircraft that “Ratsy†named Cripes A'Mighty.

This aircraft was a P-51D early version without fin fillet and no aerial wire. Full D-Day invasion stripes wrapped around fuselage and wings. Single black colour stripes on the Hstab. The leter P of squadron code was painted on the Vstab due to the presence of invasion stripes.  

As the build will unfold, more details about this aircraft configuration will be displayed.

I'll use 1/32 Tamiya P-51D wich includes the option of the fin without fillet. Reference pictures show that tires were with hexagonal threads, then I'll use after Peter's advise the Barracuda tires and hubs.

Decals are from EagleCals EC#100 “The P-51 Mustangs of Major George Preddy†which includes a beautiful booklet with excellent reference pictures about Preddy's mounts. Details here above are from this booklet.

I'm using as well as a reference the book “Building the P-51 Mustang" of Michael O'Leary about the story of manufacturing North American P-51. This is an excellent source of technical information about all the variants produced by North American.

Very well explained here is the fact that wings extrados and intrados were factory puttied in the first 40% of the wing chord length due to aerodynamic constraints.

After Mal and Peter excellent and inspiring results, I'll be stepping on new ground with Alclad II and I'll test different shades and shines in different panels. Probably not only with Alclad.

So here we go, soon I'll start the cockpit.  

11547757745_55bab778bb_o.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________

Completed:

1/32 Revell Bf109 Erich Harmann backup Aircraft

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=1874

1/32 Revell Bf109 Erich Harmann backup Aircraft build

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=47767

Tamiya F4U-1 Foy "Poncho" Garison

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47751/thread/1378609391/Tamiya+1-48+F4U-1+Birdcage+1st+Lt+Foy+%26quot%3BPoncho%26quot%3B+Garison

Edited by Maurice

Guest Peterpools

Maurice

Fantastic project and a build I will be following with great interest. Terrific research before starting, so you have all the basic groundwork laid out - makes life so much easier! Glad that Mal and I inspired you to give the 'Stang a go - one awesome kit, as you are going to experience a stellar kit.

Looking forward to the start with the front offcie

Keep 'em coming

Merry Christmas

Peter

Thank you so much Peter, Sluggo and Petrov for the encouraging words. I forgot to mention that I'll be using Airscale cockpit placards. 

I've never modelled figures in the past, checked the Eagle Parts George Preddy figure, right as shown in a picture in the EC booklet sitting over the cockpit RH sill, looks terrific, probably I'll give it a try.

Thank you guys.

Mauricio

Edited by Maurice

Wow...Another Tamiya stang, this i gonna be fun, you gonna love this model, you can build as it is, and or scratch details alot, this model offers alot of opportunities to do that if like so, it still gonna turn out a very very nice model :D

That alclad is fun to work with and get different shades and so on :D, downside it got a odur that smells....not exacly healthy haha

This thread im gonna follow ;)

Also cool that you chosen a invidual build.

And i am very glad and honored that Peter and i inspired you to tackle this beuty Tamiya BEAST....

Mal

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this week  finally could kick off the build, not a big advancement but from now on I will spend more time on this.

Engine is built, painted and weathered, and some items already painted and ready for further details. I'll start to put the cockpit together this week. I'm waiting for HGW harnesses and dinghy should be here starting next week hopefully. 

Next update will be more interesting

Cheers

11971860606_34db7c0f26_z.jpg

11971442504_c2dfcf617d_z.jpg

11949866985_e2090831a8_z.jpg

11922713916_51ced49c09_z.jpg

11921844535_dbb353bcf3_z.jpg

In the books

11982440445_ff3e0db671.jpg

11819445496_1be91f162d_n.jpg

Edited by Maurice

Guest Peterpools

Maurice

Great to see the progress made this week, as your Merlin looks fantastic with some nice, light weathering

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Maurice,

I'm so glad to see you replicating Preddy's early mount. It is certainly, in IMHO, one of the prettiest Mustangs of all time, and a fitting tribute to one of the greatest Aces as well.

I look forward to your build. Please post copious progress photos if possible. Very much looking forward to this...we can never have enough Mustangs!

Best,

Geoff

Edited by Ironwing

Thank you, Geoff for the encouraging words. I'll be posting copious pictures of the build, no problem.

Cheers

In the books

11982440445_ff3e0db671.jpg

11819445496_1be91f162d_n.jpg