Special Hobby 1:32 Airacobra AH574 - First Tricycle Deck Landing

TorbenD

Greetings from sunny Yorkshire.

Okay, going to take the plunge with a late, late entry to this group build - my very first entry to any forum so please go easy on this newbie - especially as this is also my first attempt at an full aircraft model in about 35 years as I try and dive back into this wonderful hobby rather than just admire the skills of others from the sidelines.

An avid reader of military history and biographies, I genuinely couldn't resist the chance to help celebrate Eric Winkle Brown's remarkable life and one of his many firsts when he landed Airacobra AH574 on HMS Pretoria Castle 4th April 1945 - the first ever deck landing of an aircraft with tricycle undercarriage

Between work and family commitments I have no idea whether I'll be able to make the time to finish by October - crossing fingers!!!

I've just started getting my head around this kit and been really enjoying the research but I don't know what I don't know so any and all feedback or advice will be well heeded... and yes, amongst other attempts at fine tuning and detailing I will be lengthening that pesky body

Cheers, 

Torben

(P.S. I don't seem to be able to post linked images yet from my photobucket account - they're all only 800 pixels wide and I'm following the instructions in the Forum Info board but there seems to be a block on the full image appearing, I'm getting just an icon - I guess I haven't got my full clearance yet? Please can any of the moderators advise).

Thank you Kevin

I think I've got it sussed now in the photobucket front... more fingers crossed

This is a small selection of some of the images I've got of the actual aircraft - If anyone can point me at any good or high res alternative exterior views of AH574 I'd really appreciate it. 

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-22%20at%2015.50.

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-22%20at%2015.50.

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-22%20at%2015.52.

The major modelling task done so far is the lengthening of the fuselage (in this case I followed the measured data, not plans). I nearly left it as is as it still looks like an Airacobra with or without the extra length but in the end my inner rivet counter won the day. That and sheer devilment.. I wanted to see if I could do it without botching it up! 

DSC00397-L.jpg

DSC00392-L.jpg

This is just a rough blend in - I'm aiming to clean it all up properly and reinstate the radio access doors/panel lines etc once the fuselage halves are joined.

I also felt that the rear plan view and tail plane was a bit chunky so whilst in the mood for some serious kit surgery I used a small orbital sander to gradually take out a thin wedge section from the new wedge joint back ... Very therapeutic. The photo below the right hand side has been thinned, the left untouched for comparison.

DSC00340-X2.jpg

Cheers,

Torben

Edited by TorbenD

Thanks all for your kind welcomes.

A little bit of extra plumbing in the front wheel well - a mixture of brass and stretched sprue with stripped wire insulation plugs - nothing totally OTT, I just wanted it to look nice and busy. I'm trying to make this as much out of the box as possible and use it as an opportunity to relearn some very rusty old school modelling skills alongside some new totally ones. All part of the fun!

DSC00402-L.jpg

DSC00399-L.jpg

DSC00404-L.jpg

Torben

Edited by TorbenD

Thanks HÃ¥kan. Thanks too to all who've dropped by and said hello

Got some paint on last night - the photo's don't quite capture some of the more subtle colour variations. I wanted a used and abused look to match the planned exterior finish.

Regarding the choice of colour: In various walk-arounds I've seen it in (Bell?) Green and even one in Pale Grey but these looked restored - I eventually plumped for this ZInc Chromate(?) yellow - basing it what I understand is an unrestored example in a Finnish Museum. I took the view that as a chunk of the ‘rejected' RAF order ended up in Russia that was good enough for me. 

DSC00414-L.jpg

DSC00413-L.jpg

DSC00411-L.jpg

DSC00409-L.jpg

That said, I seem to remember reading that Bell ‘matched' sample European Day Scheme colours in the initial batch sent but think these were exterior only so not sure RAF Interior Green was ever used? If anyone knows for certain regarding interior bay colours on RAF Airacobra's please hollah before I close her up!

Cheers, Torben

Edited by TorbenD

Thanks HÃ¥kan

I seemed to spend a remarkable amount of time fighting the carpet monster with the kit supplied photo-etch and bits of wire -  (final score 5-2 to the CM this weekend) in between which I only got this far with the IP.

Will add final switches etc at the painting stage.

DSC00422-XL.jpg

DSC00433-XL.jpg

DSC00438-XL.jpg

Cheers,

Torben

Edited by TorbenD