USAF T-33A

SimonCornes

Thanks Tony, this is what LSP is for - some proper exchanges of opinions and sources. Its a nice kit though and I am very lucky because mine came with True Details gear bays, AMS flaps and basic cockpit. I will have to work out what bits of the kit photo etch can be used with the AMS bits.

The PE IPs are the main parts. Plus a couple of the kit resin pieces can be used.

What Jennings says is quite surprising. Okay, its a trainer and that may turn some people off. Maybe a sheet of the correct font letters and numbers for USAF buzz and serial numbers plus squadron and TAC badges would be useful - unless they exist already? Maybe something IPMS USA should do - or have done - in 1/32, given the increase in interest in larger scale kits?

Thanks Harold. I suppose that thing I noticed, apart from the seats and instrument panels, were the red coloured etch for the cockpit sides. I don't know yet but are they part of the cockpit sidewall or the canopy frame? They certainly look to nice not to use but I accept that they may be unnecessary because of Harold's castings?

Oh the joy of modelling!

Well that's very sad Jennings, in the UK we like to build models of our trainers - and yours! But if your gut tells you 'No' then you must follow your prime directive!!

Harold, I think I've fathomed out the cockpit by googling images of T-33 cockpits and I can see that the cockpit cill was painted red - presumably so that fledgling aviators didn't trip over it? This is where we get our crazy health and safety laws from in the UK ! What impressed me was one image  showing the absolutely vast canopy locking lever - unless it's a jettison lever? - in bright red. I'm happy now I have some ANG decals on the way now but thanks for the input guys!

What Jennings says is quite surprising. Okay, its a trainer and that may turn some people off. Maybe a sheet of the correct font letters and numbers for USAF buzz and serial numbers plus squadron and TAC badges would be useful - unless they exist already? Maybe something IPMS USA should do - or have done - in 1/32, given the increase in interest in larger scale kits?

Thanks Harold. I suppose that thing I noticed, apart from the seats and instrument panels, were the red coloured etch for the cockpit sides. I don't know yet but are they part of the cockpit sidewall or the canopy frame? They certainly look to nice not to use but I accept that they may be unnecessary because of Harold's castings?

Oh the joy of modelling!

those belong along the side sills of the cockpit.

I could be all wet.  Totally wrong.  But I've been at this for now (!!!) going on 30 years, and I have to go by my gut.  And my gut tells me there's virtually no market for 1/32 T-33/RT-33 decals.

I would buy a set of USAF decals for the T-bird, especially some of the more colorful squadron hacks, but first someone has to come out with a better engineered/fitting kit. After doing battle with this kit, and ending up satisfied with the results, I would want a better kit to build. I still have a nervous tic every time I think about it. I did use some AMS stuff on my build, great stuff. Do a search, Simon, there are a few WIPs describing in excruciating detail the joys of the build.....

Don

I would buy a set of USAF decals for the T-bird, especially some of the more colorful squadron hacks, but first someone has to come out with a better engineered/fitting kit. After doing battle with this kit, and ending up satisfied with the results, I would want a better kit to build. I still have a nervous tic every time I think about it. I did use some AMS stuff on my build, great stuff. Do a search, Simon, there are a few WIPs describing in excruciating detail the joys of the build.....

Don

Hi Don

I didn't appreciate that the kit was so bad? I have to say that both the P-80 and T-33 look like what they are supposed to be but I'll take your advice and see if I can find out what the 'horrors' are! 

Hi Don

I didn't appreciate that the kit was so bad? I have to say that both the P-80 and T-33 look like what they are supposed to be but I'll take your advice and see if I can find out what the 'horrors' are! 

It is definitely a challenge, lots of hard work will reward you with a nice build. Basic skills and ingenuity will get it done. Thierrys analysis is spot on.

Don

Still would rather have an easier kit.....

Thanks guys! That article of yours is really useful Thierry - I have printed off a hard copy to put into the kit box so that it will be to hand when I need it! You know, I printed off the review for the kit previously and then I put T-33 into the search box on the forum and came up with zilch! I must be doing something wrong!!

Thanks for the advice Thierry, that's what I did when I originally bought the kit so I think I've seen most issues to do with the kit but your report condenses things very nicely - I shall read it this evening!

Thank you

On another matter, the Caracal decals arrived today and they're all for ADC Grey schemes!! Rats, I wanted natural metal. I don't know how many of the markings were used in the 50's/60's but I may be able to use them, at least the national markings and lettering is in the correct shade of blue and I have some fin serials - but no fuselage buzz numbers. I am also wondering how useful the other markings in the P-80 kit may be for a T-33?

The search goes on!

There always is this Japanese natural metal offering...

https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/ssd32256.htm

-or from-

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SS32256

image_179.jpeg

Frankly, the Caracal set is so good that I'd be inclined to go for the glossy 16473 Aircraft Gray finish (which was a USAF default spec in the absence of specific aircraft camouflage) or simply use the same markings over a polyurethane aluminium or bare metal finish.

Tony

Mmm........ I'm wondering if its worth getting hold of a copy of the Warpaint on the T-33? Having said that, the sticking point as far as I can see is going to be getting Buzz number at the right size and then squadron badges in 1/32nd. Mind you I just looked at Xtradecal X72121, what a pity that's not available in 1/32nd! The 57th FIS markings for a Keflavik based aircraft are pretty impressive but then so are some of the others on that sheet - but I expect Hannants don't sell many copies if no one builds T-33's - and the fact that they have over 50 copies in stock supports that!!! Must just be the challenge of the CzechModel kit I suppose