1/18 SBD-5 Dauntless - update 18/11/16 - FINISHED!!

richdlc

Sounds interesting Rich

Given the time between crash and the date of the diorama, you'd probably see a lot of vegetation growth around and through the aircraft, that'll be interesting to see depicted...

Matt

• 5 weeks later...
*UPDATE 04/01/15*

Happy New Year!

Here's my first update for 2015.

As is customary, I began with the cockpit. Here are the kit parts laid out - floor and sidewalls.  The detail is for the most part moulded on, and is fairly accurate, but for a model of this size it just isn't good enough. I therefore removed the sidewall details, filled in any holes and covered the resulting bare surfaces with thin plastic sheet ready for detailing.

IMG_2282_zpsa4a0c86f.jpg

IMG_2285_zps4a44d0bf.jpg

IMG_2286_zps6fc18b66.jpg

This photo of a Dauntless undergoing restoration shows the front cockpit in bare metal, devoid of fittings - perfect for me because it shows the rivet patters.  I decided from the start that I would cover everything with pewter sheet again, as nothing replicates metal better than metal - especially when it's going to be all smashed up later.

ScreenShot2014-12-08at154838_zps1a1d1355

I am concentrating on the left hand corner first - here's another couple of pics:

Panel with trim control, parachute flare release handles, fire extinguisher pull handle:

SBD071_zps48ef7a70.jpg

another view looking downwards - the levers on the floor are (top to bottom) the wobble pump lever, and the arrester hook release:

ScreenShot2014-12-13at151645_zpse7543197

making a start on the control panel:

IMG_2644_zps0dbc680f.jpg

arrester hook lever detailing, floor panelling begins:

IMG_2645_zps3f893f74.jpg

IMG_2646_zps98ba58bd.jpg

you can see here the (for now) blank sheet plastic sidewalls.  I might cover these in pewter as well later…

IMG_2651_zps3cfd422b.jpg

Edited by richdlc

This is the bulkhead behind the pilot, plus the armour plating. At this point I realised that the armour plate isn't quite the right shape…

IMG_2655_zpscd2e5e2c.jpg

The armour has notches cut into it, and you can see what looks like a white bungee cord disappearing behind the seat:

ScreenShot2014-12-13at151711_zpsacb4e17b

This is the seat operating shock cord - you can see it better in this illustration from the maintenance manual (labelled ‘3').  The attachments for the cord double up as supports for the seat frame:

ScreenShot2015-01-04at140536_zpsc578344e

I needed to remove the sections highlighted with pencil:

IMG_2657_zps1b231b0a.jpg

Duly done, then the whole thing altered slightly with plastic card, and skinned with pewter:

IMG_2658_zps0a6d6752.jpg

test fit - looking better!

IMG_2660_zpsf2140e64.jpg

that's all for now, more soon!

Guest Peterpools

RIch

Brilliant start on the fron offcie and the planned detail work is going to be a knockout

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Hi Rich,

That's looking very cool. The metal skin will allow very realistic weathering when you get to that stage.

You're going to need alot of pewter for a big bird like this. I'm curious, where do you get it from please?

Cheers.

thanks guys

RIch

Brilliant start on the fron offcie and the planned detail work is going to be a knockout

Keep 'em coming

Peter

cheers Peter, it'll take time but once you cover one bit with metal it looks so good that you just keep going!  Very satisfying result.

Stunning start, I really like that pewter skinning

cheers mate, I'm a big fan of it now and use it whenever possible.

Hi Rich,

That's looking very cool. The metal skin will allow very realistic weathering when you get to that stage.

You're going to need alot of pewter for a big bird like this. I'm curious, where do you get it from please?

Cheers.

thanks, you are quite right.  I get mine from www.sylmasta.com

It is quite expensive but worth it, and you can make a sheet last a long time if you are economical with it

looks good.whats the metal cable for?

Oliver

cheers mate - the metal cable is the hoisting cable

Great start ! Looking forward to more.....Harv :popcorn:

good stuff Harv!  Stay tuned for more coming soon

Wow awesome start there Rich!

I see another masterpiece appearing before my eyes

Cheers
Anthony

thanks mate, appreciate the kind words :-)