Ki-84 Type 4 "Frank"

DaveJ

Do the forty pieces left to apply include the pistons and rings??? Where on earth are forty pieces of pe gonna fit on that thing? Looking good though, nice work!

Matt

Bwhahahah!!!!! :) Looks fantastic dude! Sooo...you're gonna have the engine access panels open too, right?! :rolleyes:

Just kidding Dave! Can't wait to see how this looks painted. Flipping awesome job with the PE. :(

Whoa, Dave. I'm cross-eyed just looking at the result. I couldn't imagine actually doing it all! Great work. I've been working on the same engine as you know, and now kinda wish I hadn't glued all the bits on the front before painting...

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

About time I updated this one, eh?

I've been traveling quite a bit for work during the week so bench time has been limited of late. I finally got most of the painting done on the engine. The colors were compiled from the most sophisticated reference: My imagination. It looks a bit silly at the moment because it has a fresh coat of Future on it. After that sets it'll be time for a wash and some weathering.

EngineGloss.jpg

OK. I for one am ready to be done with this engine. Thankfully, the engine is done!

Dirtied-up and flat coated. Finito!

EngineFinal1.jpg

EngineFinal2.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it. Shame it'll mostly be covered up very soon.

And in other news!

First a bit of a confession: I don't like mixing custom colors. Mostly because I'm no good at it. :P Add to that the fact that I really prefer working with acrylics over everything else and sometimes I'm out in the cold looking for a solution to a particular color. Aotake was always one of those colors. I only ever found it in a Testor's enamel. Stinky-poo. :angry: No more!! I recently discovered the Life Color paints, and I like 'em. Thins great with good ol' Tamiya X-20A and sprays like butta. Well guess what? They have a Aotake, and it looks reeeeeel good! It's UA 136 in case you're interested. Gordon at Sprue Brothers is carrying more of the line now and there are quite a few colors that I haven't been able to find in other acrylics. To test it, I sprayed the back of the fire-wall that the engine mounts to. Won't be visible so it doesn't matter if its the right color for the actual aircraft.. I just wanted to see how it looked on plastic.

Check it out...

Aotake.jpg

Looks dead on to my eye!

I thought it worth pointing out, especially in this GB where so many of us might like a solution to the Aotake conundrum.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled modeling, already in progress.

• 1 month later...

Finally got a bit more done with Frank, here! Engine and cowling installed, chin radiator installed, PE in the gear bays finished. I hope to have it ready for primer by the weekend!

PrimerSoonOne.jpg

PrimerSoonTwo.jpg

Nice one Dave. What a slick looking birdie! Ya just gotta love the lines of this one. Looks like a great kit too. Looks like Frank's gonna beat George to the finish line by a handsome margin...

Kev

• 5 weeks later...

Frank is not dead! Yet....

I decided to try masking and painting all of the markings on this plane. I have a set of masks from Montex which are very nice but include absolutely nothing in the way of instructions on how best to proceed! So... I'm fairly certain I'm doing this completely backwards. I preshaded, then painted the white areas, then applied the masks to block the white off (this is where I think I went backwards). Next I'll restore the pre-shading in the remaining white areas so I can paint the base color. At that point I can go back to add the red and yellow bits. Sound backwards? Yeah, thought so.

We shall soon see!

MaskedTwo.jpg

MaskedOne.jpg