AIMS Ju388 L1 conversion - Finished!

Wouter

Thanks guys!

In the mean time I've worked on the landing gear. She's on her legs now! I'll make a detailed post on the work involved on these legs in the near future. For now I just wanted to show how big this thing actually is in comparison to other AC's. It's not a B17, but she still needs a lot of space :lol:.

Nighty night all.

M3KO03z.jpg

wfFORXs.jpg

Edited by Wouter

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

just wanted to give you an update. Yes progress is still being made. Not to many words, just a lot of pictures. Enjoy!

Attached the vertical and horizontal stabilizer. Almoast forgot the horizontal stabilizer wingtip extensions. It's a subtle but noticable difference from the normal Ju88 stabilizer. Did some work on the remote gun barbette too.

HQar07y.jpg

The engines are now complete with super charger intakes, exhausts and exhaust shroud. These PE pieces are really tricky to get right...

v76VhCx.jpg

uaOcFKR.jpg

wBcwt6J.jpg

Work the continued at the cockpit. Lot's of bits and pieces to build. Sratchbuilding parts is necessary and you'll need to cross check with your reference. John did a good job overall but has made some mistakes in the process designing the conversion. He allready made the corrections in the manual, but since parts were already being cast you have to make the corrections yourself.

Here's the pilots seat. Major construction is straightforward but it gets trickier with adding the supporting frame.

OT3hQLI.jpg

IbRypbZ.jpg

a7KZ6yA.jpg

EqueKQJ.jpg

maXW6i7.jpg

X9hIBrn.jpg

Now I've build most of the sub-assemblies I started to do some dry-fitting. Pieces are hold in place with blu-tack. One thing is certain, you have to paint the sub-assemblies before attaching them to the cockpit. This makes dry-fitting all the more important!

Skkl5gD.jpg

2MrH48V.jpg

Wov4om3.jpg

pWneTDW.jpg

IwluxjV.jpg

That's it for now. Couldn't resist to throw here together one last time.

wonQuwp.jpg

Ah yes, the spinners... The casting is really thick and the instructions tell you to thin the out. I used a sharp blade to cut the part from the inside out. But what is worse, is that the spinner openings for the propeller hub have a different width, it's almost impossible to get them the same and looking like the real thing. I was thinking about acquiring two fw190 hubs or those from a Revell He219 (about the same shape), but then you have a hub with three openings instead of four thus requiring more work ....

So I'll work with the once provided, but again as with the engines, it's a bit of a let down on this conversion.

I'll try to get a picture to show you what I did Thomas.

I´d really appreciate a picture or any other information on how you got those spinners corrected, Wouter!

Still here, following your greatly illustrated build! Your work will be a major help once I will do mine!

Thanks all for the support!

Looking good. Ive been half tempted to order this coversion set but im not so sure now.

Well, I do have some critique on this conversion, but mind you that doesn't mean that it's a bad conversion. I just think some odd decisions are made on the way. For example; I get why the engine are simple copy's, but for the money you are paying i had hoped for something slightly better. And why do I have to scratchbuild some padding on the seats while another part of the padding is part of the conversion? Besides these odd decisions, it's still a very cool conversion and for now the only way to build a Ju388 in 1/32 scale. And if you buy one there's you'll help a fellow modeller so he can build and sell more obscure conversions!

I´d really appreciate a picture or any other information on how you got those spinners corrected, Wouter!

Still here, following your greatly illustrated build! Your work will be a major help once I will do mine!

Hi Thomas, when I get to it I will provide some pictures. Though it seems I was a little to hasty in calling the spinner incorrect. At first I didn't see that the spinner is made up from two pieces. Bonded together the overall shape is much closer to the real thing. But I'll let you know how things turn out.

Very nice indeed! Love the cockpit. This will be one impressive bird when finished. Any thoughts on your chosen camo and markings Wouter?

Hi, yes I will build the ATG build Wknr. 340284. I like the camouflage pattern with the high demarcation line between RLM76 and RLM82/83 and there are a few good period pictures from this particular plane which are helpful in building it.