1/18 SBD-5 Dauntless - update 18/11/16 - FINISHED!!

richdlc

Rich this looks amazing - I love your approach to detail and the metal skinning looks something else..

long ago I was building a 1/5 scale RC super scale SBD5 and had masses of research photo's from a restoration being done in the US - literally from the ground up - will see if I can find it all - this was back when it was real photo's rather than the fab stuff out there on the internet...

Its going to be one impressive model thats for sure

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

*update 01/02/15*

Hi guys - I thought it was high time that I updated this build!

As you know I have decided once more to skin as much f the model as possible with pewter sheet, as I feel nothing replicates metal better than real metal. It's not cheap, but the results I think are worth it - especially when it comes to depicting stressed / torn metal as I intend to do.

I'm still skinning the cockpit, so to speak.  Lots of cutting and shaping metal, so I'll let the photos speak.  First up, the bulkhead behind the pilot - here it is skinned front and back.  Plenty more to do, but it's getting there.

IMG_2844_zpslh3aax3s.jpg

The rear can't really be seen (plus I don't have definitive photos of what it looks like) so there is a little speculation involved. No matter! It will be hidden behind banks of radios.

IMG_2845_zpsvdqkq3aq.jpg

This is the ‘shelf' behind the pilot and underneath the rollover cage. It provides a kind of ‘shroud' to protect all the radio equipment underneath, which is accessed from the gunner's cockpit.  The kit part looks like this:

IMG_2664_zpsbelwdff4.jpg

whereas the real thing looks a bit like this:

SBD%20079_zpslh2lmgjq.jpg

In any case I re-worked it and this is the result - more details to be added later of course:

IMG_2842_zpsvjcwusar.jpg

The rollover cage in the kit is a bit weedy, and missing lots of bolt heads.  I beefed it up and added several dozen resin bolt heads - plenty more to add!

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-08%20at%2016.16.

IMG_2853_zps1xn7f0eg.jpg

This is the ‘trough' for stowing the gunner's twin 0.30 cals. 

IMG_0776_zpss54vmnjx.jpg

The kit part is too simplistic, so here's what I came up with.  I needed to square off the opening, then I skinned with pewter as usual.  I also added the large armour plate sheet.

IMG_2847_zpscbcenrsa.jpg

Here are (left to right) the centre, front and rear cockpit bulkheads, skinned up - again there is much more to add, but I had to get the basic pieces done ready to install. It will be much easier if I glue in major components now and worry about detail later.

IMG_2843_zpsyes6bt8q.jpg

This rather pitiful looking piece is what Merit / Trumpeter would have you believe is the ammo box rack in the gunner's cockpit.  It sits against the rear cockpit bulkhead.

IMG_2824_zpsiql3gouh.jpg

It should look like this:

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-30%20at%2013.40.

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-01%20at%2015.41.

I made a basic shape and then skinned it with metal as usual.  I still need to add the ammo bin lids, but have made a start on the first one in this photo:

IMG_2849_zps7hvnbqgf.jpg

Here's a test fit of the parts I've made so far. The cockpit interior is beginning to look nice and busy!

IMG_2851_zpsdb7sta6w.jpg

IMG_2852_zpsalwkrb0b.jpg

Here's the kit provided control column assembly.  The Dauntless could be flown from the rear cockpit - the gunner simply unclipped his removable control stick and stuck it into the mount.  Beneath that is my replacement. It is not 100% complete because some of it will be hidden beneath the pilot's seat, so it would be unnecessary to fully detail that particular bit - but the parts on display were done to the best of my ability.  There is still (always!) more to add, but you get the idea.

IMG_2669_zpsqob0jgjv.jpg

Here's the real thing:

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-08%20at%2016.11.

The pilot's end:

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-30%20at%2013.37.

And the rear cockpit end:

SBD%20085_zps1rpydwyp.jpg

In place:

IMG_2678_zpsoi9ybvff.jpg

Finally here's the pilot's seat with added detail.  Once again I was careful not to overdo it and add detail that will never be seen (well mostly LOL).  The reference photos for this came from the Detail & Scale book, so you'll just have to take my word that it looks (something) like this..

IMG_2854_zpsbdnfsvuj.jpg

IMG_2855_zpsmv5hlscg.jpg

So there we have it, a couple of months down the line and so far not a great deal done - see you next time!

Edited by richdlc

Hey Rich

I've been a bit sporadic on this forum lately, so I've only just now picked up on this terrific build. I'm sure that it'll be just as awesome as the B-17.

But one thing - a 120mm skeleton would be from a man 2.16m in 1/18 - so unless he'll be used in a more... incomplete... form I think he'll look very odd

A 120mm figure is actually 1/15 and even though the differene sounds like a little then it is actually 18/15 = 1,2 =20%

Edited by Thomas Lund

thanks Thomas

yes I had considered this carefully... the range of figures available in 120mm / 1/16 varies widely, so I don't think it'll be too much of a problem. A case of 'forced perspective' and careful modelling should fix the issue :-)