What Kind(s) of Paint Are On Your Work Bench?

Stuka

Hello All,

One of the goals for MPS is to carry a small selection of paints.

I would prefer to carry brands that are not main stream such as Vallejo, LifeColor or Tamiya.

All are great paints but there are lesser-known brands that offer better finishes and/or spray-ability.

Being old school, I'm a lacquer-man.

That said, I spray a lot of different acrylics and usually use multiple types of paint on a single build.

What types and brands of paint do you use?

Do you spray Lacquers, Enamels, and/or Acrylics?

Thanks and happy modeling!

--John

I use some lacquers like Alclad, but I still use primarily Testor's Model Master enamels for most other colors. I also use their aerosol cans occasionally, mostly for clearcoating and some of the Metalizers for quick jobs. I actually use their aluminum aerosol Metalizer for most small jobs when I don't want to dirty the airbrush or I'm in a hurry. I do not use Tamiya or Vallejo acrylics yet, mostly because I have a decent stock of enamels. Hope that helps.

Tim

I've been all over trying different kinds of paints but I think my two primaries are Gunze Mr Color and AKAN lacquers plus some Tamiya acrylics

Used to use Misterkit acrylics quite a bit - used to be a forum contact on one of the WW1 sites who could get them but not sure what happened to him. Some nice colors in that range for WW1 subjects (odd stuff like "Gotha Blue" and Albatros purples etc.

Guest Peterpools

I've been quickly switching over to MRP paints - definitely not mainstream. They are acrylic lacquers and are a dream to use.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

I don't know about other modelers, but when I need paint, I want it now. As a result paints (as well as most of my consumables) are sourced locally.  The brands available to me here are Model Master enamels, Tamiya acrylics, and Alclad lacquers.

If I were to switch, I might consider Mr. Color and Sovereign Colourcoats.

I'm an enamel only modeller, for details and the odd finish it's Humbrol, for main paint schemes it's Sovereign Colourcoats and Xtracolor, for mainly VVS subjects and the odd French colours I turn to Model Master though they are now pretty rare in the UK. I use an airbrush mostly though for details I resort to a brush.

For armour I tend to build British kits so that calls for either Colourcoats or Mike Starmer mixes of Humbrol and Revell enamels.

Cheers

Dennis

I'm mostly an acrylics guy so I'm just starting to expand my use of the Vallejo Model Air paints and so far have about 40 different colors.  I'm a long time user of the Model Master Acryl products (and some Metalizer too) and some of the Tamiya Acrylic paints too.

The big issue for me isn't just the paints, but the thinners and cleaners needed, and then the learning curve on pressure/mix/finish for the new paints.  If it is a highly specialized paint (like the Metalizers from Model Master) that is one thing - used infrequently but for a very specific requirement.

Being able to buy a 'set' of colors is helpful - like a starter set of 15-25 colors and primer and thinners, etc if the discount is significant.  Like 30% discount over buying the paints individually.

So a new brand would have to have the colors I need (and I'm learning an entire new palette with WWI aircraft!) in sufficient range and not require a huge learning curve.

IMHO. Thanks for asking.

Chris

I've been switching over to MRP lacquers for interior colors. Since I came back into the hobby nearly 9 years ago, I've been a Tamiya acrylic type of guy, and while I love them, I equally don't like true Acylics like Life Color, Vallejo, Model Aire, etc as I find them easily scratched and chipped, and not always the easiest of paints to do detailing work with.

As for NMFs I'm strictly a Alcad 2 guy.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Guest Peterpools

I can't even keep up with all the new paint lines any more. I promised myself that I have more manufactures lines of paint them I really need and wouldn't keep experimenting. So far, I've failed miserably. :doh:

Peter

Interesting question. I use all types, and rely on the unique characteristics of each, to perform at whatever they do best, in whatever specific application they're needed for. Model Master, Tamiya, Vallejo, Gunze, Testors, Floquil, Polly S, the list seems to be endless.

Kevin,

This is what always seems to confuse me. Each of those paint lines use a different thinner, and as you said a somewhat different application to achieve your expected results. What I've never been able to come to terms with is what they offer over my Favorite; Tamiya, other then not having to mix my own colors (which is now 2nd nature to me).

Joel

Interesting question. I use all types, and rely on the unique characteristics of each, to perform at whatever they do best, in whatever specific application they're needed for. Model Master, Tamiya, Vallejo, Gunze, Testors, Floquil, Polly S, the list seems to be endless.

Thanks for your answer. This best describes my situation where I will use multiple types and brands on an individual build based on the application at hand. I'm beginning to think this is more common that I originally thought.

I can't even keep up with all the new paint lines any more. I promised myself that I have more manufactures lines of paint them I really need and wouldn't keep experimenting. So far, I've failed miserably. :doh:

Peter

Hey Peter,

I've been teaching airbrushing classes out of my favorite hobby store for the last few years and I've helped a lot of guys with their technique.

Is there a particular brand that you want to use that's giving you difficulties?

best,

-J

Thanks to everybody that replied: much appreciated.

I'm relieved to read how many of you use enamels and lacquers!

I was under the impression that acrylics were beginning to dominate the field.

Glad I was wrong.

Thanks again for all the great replies.

best,

--John M

Thanks to everybody that replied: much appreciated.

I'm relieved to read how many of you use enamels and lacquers!

I was under the impression that acrylics were beginning to dominate the field.

Glad I was wrong.

Thanks again for all the great replies.

best,

--John M

John,

I would assume that it's true, at least for military builders. If acrylics weren't so popular, then I would find it rather difficult to understand why the vast majority of new companies are coming out with Acrylic lines.

In the world of automotive modeling, it's by far dominated by lacquers and Urethane 2 part clear coats, just like in the real world.

Joel