HK Models 1/32 Do 335B

LSP_Kevin

I know fellas, I know. I've decided to pause this one temporarily however, as I suspect HK is going to have revised parts ready very soon, and I'd rather wait for those if possible. There's not much point doing a review build using parts that won't appear in the final kit! In the meantime I'm ploughing into the Fisher Ryan.

Kev

OK fellas, fair enough! With the Ryan temporarily stalled, and a sense of urgency developing around this one, I decided to push on regardless. I'm really hoping that HK can get the nose weight, revised canopy and decals to me soon though. Well, at least the nose weight anyway, as I'd like to see (and show you guys) how it works.

Anyway, a start has been made! I've been locating and painting all the interior parts with Mr. Paint RLM 02:

1mRBJa.jpg

Despite giving all the parts a scrub with warm soapy water, I'm having issues with residual mould release agent. In the photo below you can see a slightly patchy look caused by this:

1ZepaL.jpg

Bear in mind these parts were all primed with Mr Surfacer 1200 for that very reason! Still, I got lucky with this one, as it adds a slightly worn look to the part. It's also worth noting that the production kit shouldn't feature this problem, as my example was one of the first out of the moulds. I'll have to re-wash the rest of the parts before painting though, just to be sure.

And check out all that detail! It's everywhere actually, and painting it all effectively is going to take some time.

Starting to get a few sub-assemblies sorted out:

xxUbpA.jpg

And began working on the dreaded ejector pin marks:

aU03H3.jpg

Just using punched styrene discs at this stage, though none of my punches match exactly, so some additional clean-up is still required. Hopefully HK is able to eliminate these from the production kit. The two at the top for example are just too awkward to deal with, unless you sand off all the detail and replace it with scratch-built stuff. For an internal part though, I suspect they will be hard to notice.

Figuring everything out without part numbers has its challenges, but so far so good.

Kev

So, a little bit more progress. Boy this thing has a lot of parts! And remember those ejector pin marks I punched the styrene discs for? I needn't have bothered. That side of the bulkhead involved would only be seen if I cut the fuselage roof away (or left it off). For that matter, the fuel tank won't be seen either:

xTlt81.jpg

The bulkhead in question is at the rear of the fuel tank. I'm going to install it, but I won't bother painting it. The fuselage roof covers it all up nicely:

ZVrZ6E.jpg

The front section will be hidden by the cockpit in due course:

RVXVf2.jpg

Some great scope for some really impressive detailing if you fancied opening up the roof. There should be plenty to see in the engine bay though:

l0KAlE.jpg

It remains to be seen whether I bother adding anything extra in here, but I'm not planning to at this stage.

Kev

:wub:

Great show Kev !

I envy you dude.... so, so much ;)

Thanks Loic. Finding the time is extremely difficult, and at the moment this build is happening at the expense of website updates, but I've decided to change the order of priorities for the moment and give precedence to the modelling. Consequently, What's New updates will slow significantly, but will still happen - perhaps 1-2 per week. It certainly is nice to have some decent bench time again!

Kev

Guest Peterpools

Kev

Super progress and Murphy's Law dictated that if you didn't fill the injector marks, they would have been visible after the fuselage was assembled.

Looking good

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks fellas. I just started in on the ejector pin marks without checking to see what would be visible on the final model. I guess I just assumed that, since I was planning to have everything open, they all would be. I'm going to have to dig out my references to see how I should go about painting all that pipe work! Any pointers will be gratefully received.

Kev