really clean???

vvwse4

Rick,

I cannot believe that you would ask permission to paint your model this scheme?

You want our permission???

You are kidding, right?

We should be grateful that you would share your good work with us.

Go for it!

By the way, that was an immediate post war scheme, wasn't it? I believe that after the war ended on 11/11/18 some of the U.S. planes were painted in wild schemes. That one sure looks good.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Just don't want to be in anybody's way, or rock his boat.

The scheme is from 1919 when they were stationed near Cologne, as far as I know. I will make this scheme, looks like a fine challenge too me.

I ain't that good by the way

Thanks for the reply

Rick.

Saw the link in the other topic from a SPAD and I wonder would it be ok if I made this one

spad13_94-dawson.jpg

spad13_94-dawson-top_tn.jpg

Or would that not be fair too Hubert. Mods please?

Rick.

Rick,

That would be absolutely great ! I am very happy I could inspire you with an original paint scheme through one of the links I posted. If anything, this is an incentive for me to really get started on my SPAD !

Go Rick ! Go !

Hubert.

Hi Stephen,

Just don't want to be in anybody's way, or rock his boat.

The scheme is from 1919 when they were stationed near Cologne, as far as I know. I will make this scheme, looks like a fine challenge too me.

I ain't that good by the way

Thanks for the reply

Rick.

Rick,

In the first place, this is a hobby for fun, pleasure and relaxation. If making models becomes another source of stress you are doing it wrong.

We are a pretty open group here. There are guys who have mediocre talents yet they show their work. Why not? There are only a few professionals here. The rest of us are duffers in one way or another. But we like what we do so we do it.

Also, do not worry about rocking anyone's boat. It is almost impossible in a group as wide as this to say or do anything where someone doesn't get bent all out of shape.

But do not worry about them. Nobody else does. Besides, the management here tends to frown upon personal sniping, which is as it should be.

As to the rather brightly decorative paint scheme you chose, there are a number of modelers in this forum who do not like anything but plain, workaday colors and markings and there are others, like myself, who love the bright, often garish schemes and markings.

You simply cannot please everybody so do not try. Just make what you want to make the way you want to make it and have a good time.

By the way, the normally staid British military occasionally painted their training airplanes in wild colors and markings in World War One. These never saw combat because they were held in England in training establishments, but they existed.

Here is another example, these decals are available from Blue Rider but for 1/72 scale models.

post-321-1265649416.jpg

One nice thing about the Camel is that the 1/32 kit is usually under $20 so one can buy several and paint them in all different schemes.

By the way, it is not necessary to put in all the interior detail like you see on many of the models posted here.

Personally, I like to include an overweight pilot and he takes up a lot of space, hiding the details anyway. :lol:

Enjoy, its just a hobby.

Stephen

Rick,

In the first place, this is a hobby for fun, pleasure and relaxation. If making models becomes another source of stress you are doing it wrong.

We are a pretty open group here. There are guys who have mediocre talents yet they show their work. Why not? There are only a few professionals here. The rest of us are duffers in one way or another. But we like what we do so we do it.

Also, do not worry about rocking anyone's boat. It is almost impossible in a group as wide as this to say or do anything where someone doesn't get bent all out of shape.

But do not worry about them. Nobody else does. Besides, the management here tends to frown upon personal sniping, which is as it should be.

As to the rather brightly decorative paint scheme you chose, there are a number of modelers in this forum who do not like anything but plain, workaday colors and markings and there are others, like myself, who love the bright, often garish schemes and markings.

You simply cannot please everybody so do not try. Just make what you want to make the way you want to make it and have a good time.

By the way, the normally staid British military occasionally painted their training airplanes in wild colors and markings in World War One. These never saw combat because they were held in England in training establishments, but they existed.

Here is another example, these decals are available from Blue Rider but for 1/72 scale models.

post-321-1265649416.jpg

One nice thing about the Camel is that the 1/32 kit is usually under $20 so one can buy several and paint them in all different schemes.

By the way, it is not necessary to put in all the interior detail like you see on many of the models posted here.

Personally, I like to include an overweight pilot and he takes up a lot of space, hiding the details anyway. :lol:

Enjoy, its just a hobby.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

You are right, it is a hobby. And yes, I find it very relaxing after a day's work too spent some time in my own little corner of the world.

I thought maybe Hubert would find it not so good that someone else did a scheme he might would have done. But he didn't. It is a lovely scheme, really like the colours.

Thanks everyone

Rick.

Here is another interesting training scheme from WW1.

Now if someone will release a 1/32 Sopwith Pup we can have some more fun.

post-321-1265661468.jpg

Enjoy,

Stephen

Like this a lot. Could be a next group build, the colourfull!!

Rick.

Like this a lot. Could be a next group build, the colourfull!!

Rick.

Rick,

The problem is, Blue Rider does not make decals in 1/32 scale.

Also, not too many guys want to do all the heavy masking for painting these planes.

Ask the moderators if we could have a build for the really colorful color and marking schemes, perhaps covering all eras and countries.

It is something I'd like to join in on.

Stephen

Rick,

The problem is, Blue Rider does not make decals in 1/32 scale.

Also, not too many guys want to do all the heavy masking for painting these planes.

Ask the moderators if we could have a build for the really colorful color and marking schemes, perhaps covering all eras and countries.

It is something I'd like to join in on.

Stephen

I am definitely a starter for a "colourful GB" ! Great idea Rick and Stephen. Wonder why I did not think about it given my own biases toward this kinf of markings :speak_cool: :wub:

Hubert.

I am frozen out ( again!!! ) so got some time too waste. This is how far I am now. All the rigging is done, the top wing is not glued because of the painting. I am actually enjoying this a lot!!

start010-3.jpg

start011-3.jpg

start012-2.jpg

start013-3.jpg

Getting close to paint.

Rick.

Whoooeeee! :thumbsup: Now THAT'S cool looking Rick! :punk: Man, you sure got that rigged fast dude. Used fishing line, eh? :hmmm: Yeah, that lolla-fallutin Hubert got me interested in those profiles too;......what a BAAAAADDD influence he can be. :P Drat! Just when I had my build-schedule halfway under control, you guys just HAD to go build some of these up. Hmmmm, just so happens that I had one of these kits fall from the sky onto my door-step from an undisclosed and non-named good buddy of mine from Holland (whom I hate even more now! :lol: ), and I was kinda liking that bizarre black/white checkerboard scheme.......dooooooh. :shrug:

This is looking real sweet Rick, can't wait to see the 'mad-masker' at work! I think you and that darned Hubert are going to start a fad here! Bahahahaha! Later buddy! Russ

Hehehehe ...got you Russ ! :shrug: :thumbsup:

There were 9 "showbirds" in 1919. They were supposed to overfly Paris, but did not go any further than Toul in eastern France :

Cpt Chambers' "stars and stripes" "Flag Bus"

the "Shamrock" you intend to do, Rick

the black & white "Checkerboard" Russ is looking at

a red striped SPAD "Barber Pole"

a "Rising Sun" blue and red striped SPAD

an all-black with white lightnings "Lightning Bolt"

a blue with red and white dots "Eastah Aigg"

a black and white "Zig Zag"

a red and blue diamond patterned "Diamond Dick"

That leaves ample room for others to join in and complement this weird carnival Squadron ! So, any other volunteers :P :lol::hmmm: ?

Hubert.

BTW excellent work Rick ! It shows how good a basis this old Revell SPAD is ...A shame mine got that warped wing and I could not get a replacement... :punk:

very nice rigging, rick! i still dont try to think of having to rig the albatros.... still dont know how to do it. what astounds me is that you rig before painting, i always thought i would have to do it the other way around?

First time for me, we'll see what happens

Rick.

Hehehehe ...got you Russ ! :evil_laugh: :piliot:

There were 9 "showbirds" in 1919. They were supposed to overfly Paris, but did not go any further than Toul in eastern France :

Cpt Chambers' "stars and stripes" "Flag Bus"

the "Shamrock" you intend to do, Rick

the black & white "Checkerboard" Russ is looking at

a red striped SPAD "Barber Pole"

a "Rising Sun" blue and red striped SPAD

an all-black with white lightnings "Lightning Bolt"

a blue with red and white dots "Eastah Aigg"

a black and white "Zig Zag"

a red and blue diamond patterned "Diamond Dick"

That leaves ample room for others to join in and complement this weird carnival Squadron ! So, any other volunteers :hi: :beer::beer4: ?

Hubert.

BTW excellent work Rick ! It shows how good a basis this old Revell SPAD is ...A shame mine got that warped wing and I could not get a replacement... :crying:

Hi Hubert,

Two thnigs to discuss.

First, I have an extra parts Revell 1/28 scale SPAD. Which wing do you need? top, bottom right, bottom left? If you want to build your Spad let me know and I'll dig it out and get back to you. PM me your mailing address.

Second, where can we get pictures of the 9 Spads of the 1919 Showbirds? We could each select one and maybe make the entire group. Maybe even mail them to one guy to include in the next IPMS yearly meeting. Sort of a LSP presentation.

Waddya think?

My son has been strongly suggesting I get the air compressor fixed and start airbrushing again as he wants to do a lot of that with his artwork. Maybe I'll even buy a new airbrush compressor, rather than using my old shop unit that is in the garage.

Stephen