My annual leave build, Tamiya A6M5

karimb

Hi Karim, that's some really neat work - love the oil stains on the bulkhead.

Cheers

Jim

Jim, thanks for the kind comment Sir... im glad you like it... :clap2:

Karim....

All looks Mighty sweet...so keep em coming buddy.

/Mal

Mal my friend its been so long...hows everything at your end?

I should go back to your tora tora tora post to learn and get inspiration lol

thanks for the encouragement buddy

Karim :bow:

Good evening everyone...

sorry tonight's post is not going to be massively long for the simple reason that i havent put alot of time into the kit today with the exception of assembling some easy to do parts...

on the other hand for some reason i cant find the dslr camera to take some proper photos of the assembled cockpit before entombing it for eternity inside the fuselage so second best thing i did was to take photos with the iphone...lame huh?

We still have a chance at taking the photos properly tomorrow for posterity when i look harder and eventually find the dslr camera...

Today all in all i think i put in 3 or 4 hours of work into the kit, mostly at a snail's pace on and off... i assembled the cockpit separate subassemblies together and glued them together so now the cockpit is pretty much assembled and put together as one unit... some of the detail kind of disappeared in a tangle of wiring and shadows lol... i also trawled around to try to find where the cable running behind the cockpit seat runs down to but i couldnt find so next best thing is i glued it in a position that doesnt really show below the cockpit flooring but they look taught and purposeful lol...

I also assembled the prop minus the spinner and put it aside, and also assembled the two horizontal stabilizers and glued them to the fuselage...its starting to look like a zero now. i dryfitted all the subassemblies and the cockpit sits in the fuselage with no fuss, also the wing to fuselage joint looks like not going to need major puttying or sanding...

Im going to compare the eduard and tami engine assembly instructions to see how i am going to manage the assembly/painting sequence in the right order...

im going to post the photos in two parts so let me know what you think...

hope you all had a nice sunday lol

Stay safe and happy modeling

Karim

Photo%206-14-15%2018%2042%2027%20Large_z

Photo%206-14-15%2018%2039%2057%20Large_z

Photo%206-14-15%2018%2039%2052%20Large_z

Photo%206-14-15%2018%2039%2039%20Large_z

Guest Peterpools

Karim

Sure looks mighty good from from end and the front offcie amazing; just wonderfully done.

Remember: no stress just keep it in cruise and enjoy the ride.

Keep 'em coming

'Peter

Lovely work Karim!!    I too am finishing up work on a Zero cockpit, only mine is a mix of the Tamiya OOB pit, Aires parts, as well as some Eduard pieces.   Yours is really looking lovely for SURE!!!!  

Karim

Sure looks mighty good from from end and the front offcie amazing; just wonderfully done.

Remember: no stress just keep it in cruise and enjoy the ride.

Keep 'em coming

'Peter

In cruise mode it is Peter...

Just didnt have time yesterday to post anything as i was feverishly working on the radial engine lol

alot of progress done, i think this is the best rendition of a radial engine i have done to date lol

Thanks for the kind words my friend...

Karim

Lovely work Karim!!    I too am finishing up work on a Zero cockpit, only mine is a mix of the Tamiya OOB pit, Aires parts, as well as some Eduard pieces.   Yours is really looking lovely for SURE!!!!  

Thanks Brian...im sure yours is looking fabulous. have you got the build going as a wip?

I just had to go through the stash to find a kit i could do in ten days that would be enjoyable and not need massive hacking and modifying to be correct lol...

Thanks for dropping by and leaving a word my friend

Karim, love it - the impression in the photos is terrific!

Jim

Jim thanks... i hope the photos do it justice tonight lol...alot of those coming up in the update

thanks for leaving a word

Very nice Karim,

Worn but not abused. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Kahunaminor, thanks for the kind comment...

i hope the rest of it doesnt look abused looool...im making it look really beat up, but still in character overall i'll make sure it all ties up together well...

Im glad youre enjoying it, i love sharing as most of the guys here know, all the modeling i do is always on lsp as i enjoy the interaction and the discussions we all have

Enjoy!

Karim

Thanks Brian...im sure yours is looking fabulous. have you got the build going as a wip?

I just had to go through the stash to find a kit i could do in ten days that would be enjoyable and not need massive hacking and modifying to be correct lol...

Thanks for dropping by and leaving a word my friend

Indeed! It's the A6M2-N Rufe in my sig

Good evening gals and guys!

Tonight is going to be a post filled with pictures lol...so many of them im going to have to split tonight's stuff in maybe three or four parts...

Yesterday i didnt get the time to post anything as i worked through the evening on assembling the engine and ancillaries and adding all the photoetch parts to the radial...

The engine moulding is fantastic and the details are sufficient but the photoetch really put it up to another level. I have applied all the eduard photoetch parts for the engine except for the cylinder head parts that i wasnt able to bend correctly even after trying on two parts...for some reason the biggest parts were the hardest for me to get to the correct shape,so i disregarded those. All the other little parts came on like a charm. The way i got things done was to do the two rows of cyclinders as separate assemblies getting all the etch on them and putting them aside for gluing later. For the ignition harnesses i glued the ignition ring on the front cyling row, then bonded the harnesses and glued them to their respective front cylinder row spark plugs, for the second row of cylinders i did things in the reverse order, i glued the harnesses to the spark plugs, then threaded them through the spaces between the front row cylinders, bonded the two cylinder rows together and then glued the harnesses to the ignition ring...in reverse order of things this time. i hope it makes sense...

I left the engine frames to the side for later and the gearbox too...

I primed everything with mr surfacer and put everything aside to dry...

Paintwise, i used Gunze's Mr Supermetalic chrome silver (the non buffable) for the engine cylinders and for the gearbox...actually for the whole engine parts except for the front end and for the exhaust pipes...

Now the paint turned out all shiny and all but i used this colour because chrome silver takes very well to translucent washes...youll see what i mean...

For the exhaust stacks, i used first of all (after priming) tamiya acrylic metallic gray, then thinned x-19 smoke, then very thinned clear yellow at the bends, then flat black for the end of the exhaust pipes...

On the engine, i used the tamiya mix as per painting guide for the front part of the engine and chipped it very slightly (hairspray) to bring out some metallic sheen beneath the paint...painted all the little details as per instruction. Regarding the ignition harnesses i painted those in flat brown after trawling around the internet and not really finding any solid information, but seeing some photos of completed kits...

For the weathering on the engine i used a homemade enamel brown wash, a black enamel wash, a yellow acrylic wash, light gray,dark gray and brown oils for general grime, a rust acrylic wash and light rust pigments.

To be honest i am really really pleased with how the engine turned out... its the best radial i have done to date, with the second best one being the one on the skyraider lol... so i am really pleased. The photoetch ignition and cylinder stifeners look beautiful and the engine as a whole is a model in its own...

i also finished the bracing in the forward fuselage got those painted black weathered and assembled on the kit, glued the wings on, no major seams there i am happy to say... i also masked the areas already painted and covered up the rest with kabuki tape, playdoh and bluetack and set the airplane aside...

I pushed on, got the cowlings ready and added the photoetch to those, i opted out of using the pe attaching rings as those would not let me display the aircraft with the cowling on and off...

I primed all the remaining parts and coated them with mr supermetalic chrome silver non buffable and put them aside for later...

I decided to paint the cowlings with tamiya nato black as it has a slightly off black tint to it. i noticed most of the aircraft during the later stages of the war never had really uniform black colours on the cowling and the black always seems to be a bit off... i did some post shading to the cowling with flat black to bring out the panel lines and the rivet line...oh i forgot to say, i airbrushed hairspray on the cowling halves before the black lol... black having dried i started the chipping process on the cowling with a stiff watered up brush and for the fine tiny scratches i used the tip of the xacto after having dampened the surface....

For the cowling weathering on the outside i used tan oil colour for streaks, light and dark gray oils, brown oils and a dark blue oil colour for fading and dot rendering in specific areas. I also used a brown enamel wash on the outside and a light gray wash on the inside of the cowlings to bring out the details on the photoetch parts. i dont know if the picture quality show the oil fading well, as i am using the iphone and natural light for the photos...

After that i worked on the prop and spinner... the aircraft tail number i am building has a red brown prop and ared brown spinner so again got those primed, metalizer went on, hairspray and then i painted the base with tamiya red brown then did some streaking on the prop blades and on the spinner with very thinned red brown and tan mixture...when all dried i did the chipping (i think the prop might be a bit too chipped so let me know guys and i will sand everything down and start over) then weathered the prop with light gray oil and some tan and brown oils for the streaking and fading. After that i added the decals (that i didnt want to paint as i dont have the correct hue of yellow) and weathered those with the tip of the xacto and 2400 grit micromesh....turned out okay...also used a dark brown wash for the variable pitch part of the prop and the rivet line on the spinner....

Well, i think thats about it for yesterday and today's work on the kit. i might have forgotten little things here and there so please excuse me lol...

Let me know what you think of how the engine turned out and if the prop needs a make over....

The plan for tomorrow is to push on see what i can get out of the way. i still have the landing gear to complete and i keep pushing that bit aside for later, so i think i might as well get it done with...i might prime her tomorrow and get the coat of metalizer on and see where that takes us...

Thanks again for dropping by

Stay safe and happy modeling

Karim