Can These Help Settle to Bf-109 Wars?

Bill Cross

Scale Plans is bringing out the plans for the Bf-109 G2 and G6. Perhaps this will help settle the wars over the Hasegawa, Revell of Germany and Trumpeter kits?

Nah, won't happen. ;) The fighting is too much fun.

One could only hope. The bickering over kits is sometimes a bit wearying. But only sometimes. ;)

I think he was pulling our legs....

If there weren't disputes, there wouldn't be any fun in having forums.... :frantic:

Does it say something about us that we can't even all agree that these drawings are a good thing? :P :beer:

Tim, the author took apart all the surviving Bf-109s and carefully measured every part. He then fed all the measurements into a huge supercomputer and came up with the EXACT measurements of the plane. And for those modelers who feel that this kit or that one "isn't right," this will either give them comfort knowing they got the RIGHT kit, or give them comfort knowing that they avoided the WRONG kit.

Why wait 5 posts to add that last bit?  As you mentioned a couple times above, you like "fighting" and arguments on forums, so I'm guessing your intent all the while has been to be a troll?

Doug

Why wait 5 posts to add that last bit?  As you mentioned a couple times above, you like "fighting" and arguments on forums, so I'm guessing your intent all the while has been to be a troll?

Doug

Uh, no. It's called a sense of humor, Doug. You should try one on for size.

And I don't recall saying anywhere I like fighting on forums, except in the most sarcastic sense (see the emoticon; get to know your emoticons). It just seems to come with the turf. You're a good example of it apparently.

For the record, I posted the original link because I thought some here might find the book of use.

From there, it just seemed everyone had an opinion about the book, mostly negative. If you want to blame me for that, go right ahead.

Edited by Bill Cross

Alright,  no need for fuss. Your both long standing members here, As a moderator I don't see Bill's thread as argumentative nor a worry toward trolling.

I am wary of the 109 accuracy topic overall, repeat, after repeat, after repeat of arguments, and closed threads.  It does get tiresome...in fact its getting rather old with all of us moderators. How is it that one plane out of many can create so much bad vibe arguments to accuracy?  I don't get it?

Rather than collectively gathering knowledge, the topic seems to trend toward how much knowledge we personally have then beat our chests like a silverback if it's questioned.  If we could somehow eliminate all that, perhaps we could start an reference area for 109's, Spitty's maybe even B-17's that actually has meaning.

Ron

Btw, although the 109 is definitely not my cup of tea, I am following, for my education, just like here, a heated, but argumented by real experts, debate going on on Master194 about the new Eduard 1/48 G-6.

One of the learnings from the thread is that the length could vary by as much as 27 mm as a result of manufacturing tolerances, but that the span was always very close to spec...

Unfortunately this means that even measurements on a 1:1 sample can be "inaccurate" because of tolerances.

One year ago, I was measuring another plane for a 1:32 kit. Being of 1930's vintage, one could clearly see the "handcrafted" look of some parts, and the manual adjustments that went with it. So the drawings can be "inaccurate" in some areas, as we used only one sample. On the other hand, we spotted a great number of details and shapes that were missed by all the drawings we had gathered beforehand.

Still starting from a real airplane is a better way to strive for accuracy.

Hubert.

Well,

in fact all drawings are somewhat inaccurate. This is just a matter of tolerance and as Hubert explained, there are also differences between the full scale items.

I don't think it is really important if a 1/32 scale drawing or a kit is one or even two millimiters too small if this error is a global one. However, I have two reservations:

- My level of tolerance is different if I look at a Sidewinder missile or a one scale meter long bomber kit as the percentage of "error" is obviously different: 4 % in one case but 0.3 % in the other one!

- I also think the situation is quite different if the error is located in a small area of the plane. For instance, a two millimiter too short rudder or spinner problem may be noticeably visible.

Conclusion: it is reasonably "visible" or not? Personally, this is where I put the border... Obviously, I don't think two people will put the cursor on the same scale location...!

Thierry

If we could somehow eliminate all that, perhaps we could start an reference area for 109's, Spitty's maybe even B-17's that actually has meaning.

Ron

I really like that idea, Ron. Something tangible, with photo or document proof to substantiate the claims, could prove very useful for anyone interested. Sort of a mini SIG page area.