Tamiya Spitfire Mk IX Kicked Up A Notch: Last Post

chuck540z3

I'm very much looking forward to seeing what you can do with the Tamiya Spitfire kit Chuck. I've built 8 so far and have 3 more in the stash. They're my go-to build when I want something relatively stress free.

Thanks also for sharing your motivation behind some of your builds.

I would also recommend the Yahu IP. They're really impressive and much better than the Eduard prepainted ones.

Carl

Great to see this Chuck. I know what you mean about being invested in a build that means something personal to you. It's always fun, and a pleasure to follow one of your builds.

I also add my vote for the Yahu instrument panel, although I also highly recommend the Airscale products too. They are a bit more work but well worth the effort. I think they have one for the Spitfire.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

great story Chuck, and I'm sure you'll do it justice. Maybe wolf could help you out with pics? I remember watching him assemble his Spitfire with awe.

Your Lanc is beautiful too

I first got into modeling about 12 years ago

no way! I would have thought you'd been modelling your whole life

Guest Peterpools

Hi Chuck

Brilliant choice for your new build and the story will only make the journey that much better.  Looking forward to following with great enthusiasm. While Carl has me beat by a mile, I have two Tamiya Spitfires in the display case and just can't say enough about the kit. Looking forward to following your magic

Keep 'em comin :)

Peter

Thanks a lot guys!  It would appear that this "boring" subject still has some interest a few years after the release of the kit- and at least a hundred really nice Spitfire builds on the 'net.  I'll try to do my best and, as always, try to document each build step and how I did it, good or bad.

Some might wonder why I would introduce a build thread without so much as a small assembly completed.  The reason is that I need motivation, because I've been staring at the kit and AM parts for days and can't seem to get going.  Now that I've created some self-induced pressure, the assembly begins- tonight!

May I recommend a last addition to your AM list ?

The Yahu instrument panel is actually the most gorgeous piece of AM I have seen.

Hubert

I checked this out and as beautiful as it is, it seems almost like "cheating"?  Are most of those instruments stick-on and already painted?  If so, I'll pass, but maybe I don't understand the construction and painting process.

Any other tips guys? 

Thanks,

Chuck

I checked this out and as beautiful as it is, it seems almost like "cheating"?  Are most of those instruments stick-on and already painted?  If so, I'll pass, but maybe I don't understand the construction and painting process.

They're like the Eduard pre-painted photo-etched panels, only much nicer.

Kev

Some more reference for you Chuck, if you already don't have them:

http://www.avialogs.com/index.php/en/aircraft/uk/supermarine/spitfire.html

edit: Here is one more, the Operations Record Book starting when the squadron became 401 Squadron:

it continues here:

and up to Image 43 here:

no photos but info on personnel and a/c tail numbers and events.

Jari
Edited by Finn