1:32nd B-17G 'Aluminium Overcast'

tomprobert

How's this one coming along Tom? Unless I've missed it, this'd have to be pretty much in the bag by now?

Craig

She's nearly done,Craig. Work has been getting in the way but hopefully it'll be completed in the not too distant future.

Tom

• 1 year later...

Tom,

I am digging through threads of 1/32 HK B-17 builds and came upon yours here for the first time.  I am building the F-model right now, working on all the internal sections.  Can you comment on the pros and cons of joining the nose halves to the respective fuselage halves, vice following the instructions and joining the nose halves together and then mating it to the fuselage barrel?

I see on many builds, and on dry-fitting mine, that there will be a poor fit mating two "circles" together.  But I am trying to anticipate any other issues before deviating from the instructions.  It's a complex kit.

Don 

Tom,

I am digging through threads of 1/32 HK B-17 builds and came upon yours here for the first time. I am building the F-model right now, working on all the internal sections. Can you comment on the pros and cons of joining the nose halves to the respective fuselage halves, vice following the instructions and joining the nose halves together and then mating it to the fuselage barrel?

I see on many builds, and on dry-fitting mine, that there will be a poor fit mating two "circles" together. But I am trying to anticipate any other issues before deviating from the instructions. It's a complex kit.

Don

Don,

I would definitely recommend joining the nose sections to the main fuselage halves before gluing together.

The nose section (on the G version at least) has a slightly smaller diameter which leaves a step that needs to be rectified. Therefore, it's far less work to join the nose and fuselage sections whilst still separate, as it helps getting everything aligned and reduces the need to sand the fuselage sides flush and ruin all the beautiful panel detail.

I was left with a small gap to fill at the top of the nose just in front of the windscreen, but this was easily rectified with a small shim, and being painted olive drab in this area, made any remedial work far easier to hide!