F4U-1 BuNo 02449 VMF-214 1943 build for Chuck Wahl

Miloslav1956

Thanks, Miloslav. I'm still not convinced that the wheel bays would be in exposed primer, but I can't fault you for doing it the way you did, based on the instructions you were given. It's still an excellent model!

Kev

Agree, the main wells were not left in the salmon or any primer, one other change to the list is:

Inside Nose bowl forward of cylinders. This area was painted light gray throughout Corsair production.

It also appears Miroslav added the turtleneck modification to the spine.

Beautiful build! Very inspiring.

Edited by ScoobyDoo

• 4 weeks later...

Agree, the main wells were not left in the salmon or any primer, one other change to the list is:

Inside Nose bowl forward of cylinders. This area was painted light gray throughout Corsair production.

It also appears Miroslav added the turtleneck modification to the spine.

Beautiful build! Very inspiring.

Hello. 

here is very interested comment from Chuck Wahl ( Birdcage owner) about  wheel bay color.

Milo,

I saw a post on the forum.largescaleplanes.com where a guy named KEV said he didn't think the wheel wells ever had salmon primer. This pic is a birdcage Corsair, (note the ribbed tailwheel doors, only birdcage). 
One thing we find in doing restorations is not always is everything by the "Book". There are variations and I believe in this case it's likely the wheel wells were left salmon. If this is a 2 tone paint scheme then the factory left them salmon for some reason. If this is a navy 3 tone paint scheme then I still means the factory left the wheel wells salmon and the navy did also. In any case I don't think the wheel wells were ever Gray or White on this particular Birdcage Corsair. Also note the inside lower portion of the tailwheel gear doors appears to be the same shade as the underside color, and above the hinge line is darker again, salmon.
I elected to leave the wheel wells salmon on the real corsair restoration for numerous reasons.

Chuck Wahl

IMG_9725_zpsm2jgpovj.jpg

That picture is a VF-17 Corsair that left the factory in the blue/gray scheme and was depot level painted to the tri-color scheme. The wells were likely left in the underside gray from the blue gray scheme.

The Michigan Corsair has gray main wheel wells (salmon under the gray)..

Birdcage Corsair wreckage recovered in the pacific have shown evidence of gray over salmon in the main wheel wells.

Miloslav,

you've done a great job building, painting and weathering that bird, it looks fantastic! I love the paint chipping and fading that you've achieved, it looks very realistic, I mainly build jets, (and a 1/200 USS Arizona) but a Corsair is on my to do list, great job!