• Please log in to reply
582 replies to this topic

#496 MikeC

MikeC

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:03 AM

Photo of the Revell stand at SMW, on the SAMI FB page: check out what looks like a mock-up boxtop at the bottom of the photo: is that a further forthcoming boxing with a fin fillet? https://scontent-lht...287&oe=5A992709

Michael
IPMS MK
; IPMS Avon Life member; member of quite a few SIGs, including of course LSP/32SIG.

“A creative artist works on his next composition because he was not satisfied with his previous one.” – Dmitri Shostakovich

#497 MikeC

MikeC

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:05 AM

(With apologies in case those not on FB can't see it, but it's the only evidence I've seen so far that there could be a later-model boxing on the way.)

• Night Hog and CANicoll like this

Michael
IPMS MK
; IPMS Avon Life member; member of quite a few SIGs, including of course LSP/32SIG.

“A creative artist works on his next composition because he was not satisfied with his previous one.” – Dmitri Shostakovich

#498 John Irwin

John Irwin

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:56 PM

It's generally known that the US greyed out some of their white paint on their national markings.

I'm struggling to understand the doubt in this area. 

Also have decals here which show the same.

Not doubting this, it's been extensively documented.   Was just curious as to the reason for it.   I like the look, makes for something a bit out of the ordinary.  

#499 CANicoll

CANicoll

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:11 PM

(With apologies in case those not on FB can't see it, but it's the only evidence I've seen so far that there could be a later-model boxing on the way.)

I saw that too but nobody on the stand would say anything about it.  Interesting!  Chris

#500 mmaben

mmaben

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:09 AM

... is that a further forthcoming boxing with a fin fillet?

Likely not, same kit number on both boxes.

Bet'ya a dollar somebody will release a resin

fillet anyway tho it won't very likely be Roy. :rolleyes:

I just like airplanes

Mike                        Smirnoffcat    RomanianG-2

#501 MikeC

MikeC

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:02 AM

Likely not, same kit number on both boxes.

fillet anyway tho it won't very likely be Roy. :rolleyes:Same kit number doesn't necessarily mean exactly the same

Same kit number doesn't necessarily mean anything - Revell have form in this area eg two different Ju 52 boxings https://www.scalemat...-04558-ju-52-3m  https://www.scalemat...unkers-ju-52-3m

:)

And that's certainly not an Eighth AF bird, which the two options in the D-5 are.  I'm quite optimistic, but if it does happen I guess it won't be for while. 

Michael
IPMS MK

#502 Bruce_Crosby

Bruce_Crosby

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:09 AM

About the tail: look at the parts on the sprue and the tail is two haves that are separate from the fuselage. Easy to do a filleted tail. So it could be done, the question is: will they?

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

#503 Radub

Radub

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:37 AM

fillet anyway tho it won't very likely be Roy. :rolleyes:

Oh em gee :-) haven't we exhausted this already? This kit is a D-5. A fillet is suitable only for those rare D-5 aircraft that were retrofitted with a fillet, but if anyone wants to build a "type D-10 onwards" Mustang, it will take a lot more than just adding a fillet. Let me repeat, just in case, there are changes in the cockpit, elevators, under-engine panels, canopies.
Radu
  • Troy Molitor, Rick Griewski, Kagemusha and 4 others like this

For scale model accessories and tools, please visit my store at www.radubstore.com

#504 Kagemusha

Kagemusha

• LSP Moderator
  • 9,701 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 09:45 AM

Always helps if you read the thread in full.
  • alaninaustria, Martinnfb and David66 like this

#505 John Irwin

John Irwin

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:11 PM

This kit is a D-5. A fillet is suitable only for those rare D-5 aircraft that were retrofitted with a fillet, b 

I thought it was pretty well documented (here on this thread for one) that pretty much every deployed D-5 was retrofitted with the fillet within a few months of their arrival in the UK.  As such, I'm not sure I'd refer to those aircraft as "rare".  If anything, one could make a case that the original fillet-less D-5 was the rare version.  

With regard to the box top, wouldn't be the first time some art crew just used the first pic they came across online and added it to a catalog or mocked up box art.  File under "sure looks like a Mustang to me". 

Edited by John Irwin, 22 November 2017 - 02:14 PM.

• David66 likes this

#506 R Palimaka

R Palimaka

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:09 PM

I'm thinking John's right about the box top "art". Likely just an art department mock-up for the display, and we're reading too much into it. Hopefully the later versions will be released soon-ish, in the meantime it will make a lot of people very happy to have a very competent and inexpensive D-5. The Mustang is an obsession for me, but I'm more interested in the later versions of the D/K. That's just me though.

Richard

• David66 likes this

#507 BiggTim

BiggTim

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:10 PM

Whatever version of D it is, I just want it to hit Hobby Lobby, so I can grab a couple cheap!

Does anyone know if the FW 190A re-tool has shown up at HL yet? I haven't seen it.

Edited by BiggTim, 22 November 2017 - 04:11 PM.

In progress: 1/32 Trumpy P-38L (very slowly), 1/32 Trumpy Me-109E-4, and some others.....

On deck: Can't choose between 190D-13 "Yellow 10", Hase P-47D, or Tamiya Corsair....

Completed in 2015: Hasegawa F6F-3 Hellcat, Hase Me-163 Jagerfaust , 1/16 Fokker DVII Scratchbuilt Wooden Skeleton

#508 Radub

Radub

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:22 PM

I thought it was pretty well documented (here on this thread for one) that pretty much every deployed D-5 was retrofitted with the fillet within a few months of their arrival in the UK.  As such, I'm not sure I'd refer to those aircraft as "rare".  If anything, one could make a case that the original fillet-less D-5 was the rare version.  

Again, has this not been discussed over and over again here and elsewhere?

But why obsess over the fillet? This is what makes this plane unique and interesting. The most iconic D-5 planes, with amazing colour schemes, with amazing nose art, with attractive invasion stripes, basically  the most striking and atractive D-5 Mustangs have no fillet! Yes, they were retrofitted with fillets at some stage, but those modified D-5 Mustangs seem to be camera shy - that is the "rarity" I refer to. In any case, by the time the fillet was added, they were being phased out and they had no invasion stripes, they became boring. 

Radu 

• David66 and MikeC like this

For scale model accessories and tools, please visit my store at www.radubstore.com

#509 John Irwin

John Irwin

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:59 PM

Again, has this not been discussed over and over again here and elsewhere?

But why obsess over the fillet? This is what makes this plane unique and interesting. The most iconic D-5 planes, with amazing colour schemes, with amazing nose art, with attractive invasion stripes, basically  the most striking and atractive D-5 Mustangs have no fillet! Yes, they were retrofitted with fillets at some stage, but those modified D-5 Mustangs seem to be camera shy - that is the "rarity" I refer to. In any case, by the time the fillet was added, they were being phased out and they had no invasion stripes, they became boring. 

Radu 

Err...   I don't think anyone is "obsessing" over the filet (aside from asking some questions on when / how it was implemented and what it looked like).   In my case, I was just correcting you when you stated D-5's with the retrofit were "rare".  

Agreed 100%, this version opens up the door to a great many interesting color schemes, very much looking forward to the kit and the aftermarket decals which will hopefully accompany it.   At the glacial pace I work at, by the time I'm done with the D-5, I'm sure Revell will have then released later versions, including Pacific VLR and Korean War variants.

• MikeC likes this

#510 reconspit

reconspit

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:49 PM

...today i recieved mails from different hobby stores, that the Mustang is available..., well, in Germany.... :thumbsup:

• rafju, Alburymodeler and David66 like this
D3528C7EA98149EC9B42.jpeg

- Hasegawa Ki 44 Shoki
- Hasegawa F6F-5 Hellcat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users