SA-23E Mitchell-Hyundyne Starfury

spacewolf

Amazing detail and scratch building there Vaughan! Are you going to cast copies for the other three that you need or are you building them all from scratch as well?

Carl

Thanks Carl... they are too complex for casting I think... and the expense for doing it I can't justify... so 3 more will be scratch built.

Cheers

Vaughn

That is some damn nice modeling, Vaugn.  Cutting that thick sheet is hard core.  Great work.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark, The sheet cuts do wear out the blades quickly I must say... but for a lot of it I just make a couple of passes with the blade, flex/ oil can the plastic and it sheers pretty clean... saves a lot of time and effort.

Cheers

Vaughn

Happy HO HO everyone !! I hope you all have a great, safe, and happy season !

Update time... one step forward, two steps back on this one... Here we go !

With the VEN done ( I thought) it was time to start on the engine bodies. My evil friend Donald helped me transport a 4 X 8 foot sheet of .060 and with my trusty vacume cleaner, the stove top element and my home made vacu former we were off ! :unsure:

The first pull was pretty good...

rDEih3T.jpg

3pMTbmT.jpg

A slice down the front allowed the master to drop free..

L2SaO6M.jpg

BUT... I discovered that 4 years ago when I made the master I got the tapered ends wrong... :BANGHEAD2:   so, more work to do !

Edited by spacewolf

A center keel was cut and disc's cut for the front and rear faces...

Bq00z3f.jpg

GXHVMQD.jpg

I was much happier with these... one problem with the vacu forming I do is it gives one soft edges.. this way they are crisp.

qkPweJz.jpg

The forward VEN lines up and looks good !

WdARLui.jpg

I had planned to just have strips off the keel fit over the inner sheet of the wing... but of course that would be too easy right ?..

mIYelFp.jpg

Fitted on it looked very good... from the top...

G0CMKzd.jpg

But, looking at the plans it seems those WONDERFUl chaps who made the ship decided for some reason to drop the centerline below that of the wing...

MsdskoA.jpg

So... with a bit of grumbling and head scratching I glued strips of plastic to the mounts I'd made and lowered the mounting point by 1/8th in.

aeFi7mA.jpg

Looking it over it looked very good... makes the 'Fury look really like it's coming together !

MNDVSlX.jpg

But trouble was brewing... storm clouds gathering... :frantic:

Some thing had been bothering me... and in fitting the rear VEN it came crashing home.... :BANGHEAD2:

Somehow I had screwed up....

7zohc43.jpg

I had made the widest point on the VEN too small.... easy to miss unless one is looking for it...

nvsjDzQ.jpg

It just so happened just as this came to light, one of the guys who worked on the show shared some pics and meshes he had...

e0T4KbV.jpg

0lsnYYy.jpg

So... for my next magic trick, I will attempt to rescue/ rebuild the VEN... once I recover from Christmas !! Thankfully a new friend arrived from smoky California to cheer me on !!

vGNgfzJ.jpg

So, Merry HO HO everyone... see you all in the New Year !!

Vaughn

Edited by spacewolf

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings for the New Year all !!  It's been a while sense I posted on this thread... work, life, the deep freeze most of us are experiencing... but I have not been cuddling Opus and staying warm under the covers ! Hang on... It's UPDATE time !! :evil_laugh:

When last we saw our intrepid modeler he was faced with rebuilding a finished part... :BANGHEAD2: ..... so, when it's wrong, it's wrong... nothing for it but to get nasty... :fight:.... cutters, blades and determination.. (stupidity ?)....

UYsJSje.jpg

and within a few min I was looking at this....

wPE7I3S.jpg

Cleaning up the edges took a few more min, then a ring was made... too big but I didn't realize it at the time...

CwZSTdQ.jpg

Glued on.. and planking was restarted..

deau1bP.jpg

I was smart though this time... after doing just a bit I sized it on the engine body and realized it was too big, so took off the planking and trimmed the ring down by 50%. Planking redone...

OATg7xl.jpg

kKNolNc.jpg

This looks MUCH better !!

zdEPPP5.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

Holes were drilled in the joining faces and bits of sprue were used as aligning pins..

O4ncQfF.jpg

On to the front of the engine... in sanding down the angle I got it to where I wanted it...

eB5cLZk.jpg

But the rings I'd made to support the skin I'd not extended far enough back so gaps showed up... what to do, what to do ?... :frantic:.. scrap wedges were made and glued in..

RBxl4l4.jpg

Sanded down and the forward thruster fitted... looks good !

ez3BiJQ.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

But... we need detail !!... the area of the engine body behind the forward thruster is plated... sooooo... a tube was glued onto the forward face to slide the thruster onto... and then lines drawn...

4TMQ8qQ.jpg

And angled strips glued on...

FNTMVYI.jpg

Long hours of fiddly detail... but it looks good ! :yahoo:

R6cTpRd.jpg

Of COURSE I had to fit it onto the wingtip to see how it looked ... :rolleyes:

ovo5qUz.jpg

It looked good from the top but the weight of the rear thruster caused the part to sag at the rear... so a bit of sprue was glued into the rear of the wingtip..

mDud4HZ.jpg

A hole drilled into the engine body...

zv1H8qy.jpg

And she sits at the right angle !! :yahoo:

U0jdgVZ.jpg