Marines F-4J

Dragon

With the SCAT XXVII getting close to being completed, I'm going to throw my hat in for another build.  I don't know if I'll finish before the deadline, but it'll be fun trying!

I thoroughly enjoyed building the Tamiya F-4C phantom, and at the start of my first build someone said that after you build one of Tamiya's phantoms, you'll want to build another and another.  They were right; I do want to build another one!  After seeing a couple fabulous Marines phantoms built for this group build, I knew I wanted one in my display case. 

For this build, I'm going out of my comfort zone.  I'll be doing some surgery.  I've never attempted cutting up a perfectly good piece of plastic before, but I'm going to give it a shot on this build.  I'll be using the Sierra Hotel seamless intakes along with their exhaust cans.  

I have two Fox One Marines in SEA decal sheets, but I haven't decided on which squadron yet.  I also haven't finalized a load out either, but I do like the looks of Bill Cross' and Daniel Leduc's builds with the Mk 77 napalm canisters.  So, my build will have these too, and I picked up a couple from AMS resin.

DSC_0463_zps6485dda7.jpg

I'm looking forward to another enjoyable build, but this time just a little bit more challenging!

Mike

Edited by M. Dragon

Mike, Very Glad to see you  re join the fight  with your Marine F-4.

I added your name and build to the who's building what list a couple nights ago between work, but have been VERY busy with work and hadn't had time to say much on here.  :)

Looking forward to your progress!

Paul 

Never Too Many PHANTOMS

watch'in you :innocent:

jack

Agreed, I have a feeling this one won't be the last with GT Resins coming out with their B conversion.  Plus I'll need to do a Navy J, and of course there's the E version too.  I'll be needing a larger display case!

Leatherneck aviation rules!!

Yes it does Bill, and your build is an inspiration for mine.

Well, the surgery wasn't nearly as tough as I was expecting it to be, very little blood shed....

I first cut out the exterior piece of the intake trunk then the interior section.

DSC_0488_zpsd4d2cb41.jpg

Here are some shots of the surgery areas cleaned up:

DSC_0490_zps132c7fff.jpg

DSC_0493_zps5b214147.jpg

And here's a shot showing the intakes just set in place.  I'll need to do a little bit of filling in with CA, but it'll be minor:

DSC_0494_zps3c801282.jpg

With this effort complete, I can turn to the office and other miscellaneous components.

Thanks for stopping by.

Mike

Edited by M. Dragon

Mike,

Good luck with the phantom build. it doesnt matter if you get her done on time or not im sure its all about the fun along the way  :D

Ive got this one in the stash and im hoping to start on it in a week. Got resin seats and wheels and the eduard biged set for the J...

Ill be watching this one closely 

Karim

Well, I've hit a snag on this build.  I started working on the landing gear tonight, and I discovered I received two left side main landing gear struts:

DSC_0506_zpsd35599e7.jpg

Any one build their kit with the gear up and have a right side main strut in their spare parts box?

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

Well, Jack saved the build for me, and sent me a spare MLG he had.  THANKS again Jack!

Been slowly working on the build.  I have the SH intakes installed. I have some gaps to deal with, but nothing a little Mr. Surfacer 500 can't handle.

DSC_0537_zps544257fb.jpg

I've also painted the cockpit.  It's not perfect nor accurate, but it looks the part.  

DSC_0535_zps4a4e4885.jpg

DSC_0538_zps0fdce3ab.jpg

I have a majority of the smaller sub-assemblies done, and they're waiting a trip into the paint shop which will be happening this weekend.  

I have approx. 5 weeks left to wrap this build up, and it'll be a race to the finish line.

Mike

Edited by M. Dragon