AIMS Ju388 L1 conversion - Finished!

Wouter

Jumping in on the 3D printing bandwagon. Instead of scratchbuilding I thought, maybe it's time to try something different. I have done some 3D modelling in the past as a modder for a game (Operation Flashpoint - precursor of Arma), so I have some basic 3D skills. Besides that, i only have Sketchup and that program is easy to learn, hard to master. But I only need some basic shapes anyway. The actual printing will be done at shapeways. I'm opting for 'frosted detail plastic' as that gives the smallest printing option at 0.3 mm.

Before you start 3D modelling you need some basic reference set up. Luckily for me I 'discovered' that the Germans had drawings for, well, about everything. And you can find them online! Like this one

VrUgviw.jpg

And this is what it look likes in real life

wnN448x.jpg

The drawings provide all the measurements needed in millimeters. Just perfect!

After setting things up I started modelling the instruments needed. After the first one it gets easier because the basic shape for most instruments is the same. And there is no need to go all out on detail since that can't be printed anyway.

The instrument above resulted in this:

7Yy0iW2.jpg

Jumping straight to the end result. Here's is the completed IP with 7 instruments and the radio equipment for the Fg217.

SZ8KWIW.jpg

While going at it, there is another part which I wanted to try; the upper wing antenna for the FG217 warning system. You can see it here:

Klf0A7r.jpg

And in detail

r9mZQQl.jpg

3D modelling resulted in this (ready for printing)

uSwr1LR.jpg?1

Anyway, the files have been uploaded to Shapeways and an order has been placed. If it's not satisfactory I will resort to scratchbuilding. But if it is, I will try things again in the future! I'll keep you updated.

Edited by Wouter

Very cool!  Eager to see the results of the custom 3D printing order.  What kind of costs are associated with this?  I assume it is cheaper if you supply the files but will they do the necessary computer modeling as well?

The order was around €18 or $25 Us dollar including shipping for 1 IP and 2 antennas. About $5 per piece. Not tot bad I think. The do check your submitted files if they are ready to print. If not they cancel the order and you get a refund. And then it's back to the drawing board. But the specify which parts are to thin or of the print is to big. So you are not let in the dark why your order was cancelled.

Hi Gaz, indeed with every dive in the available research I find new and learn new things every time. Just yesterday I found some more info on the periscope system, which I'm very excited about. But that's for a future update. 

In other news: I just received word from Shapeways. Sadly the antennas can't be printed. The minimum unsupported wire thickness should be 0.6 mm and they are 0.3 mm in my model. I'm not going to alter this and will resort to scratchbuilding with brass rod's.

I was wondering about this.  I was thinking it would be too good to be true if the could print rod this fine.  I really need to practice my Soldering.  Too many Luftwaffe nightfighters in my future to not get proficient with the metals.

Gaz

I guess your right about that Andy. To put my money where my mouth is I did just that tonight. Since I have to wait for the 3D printed IP to arrive, I cut up several pieces of brass tubes to see if I could make it work. Well I managed to build an antenna and I'm quiet pleased with the result. For now I only have the finished result but since I have to build another one, I'll make some more pictures as I go. I'll post them here so you guys can see how I made it.

Cheers, Wouter

Uwm7VyY.jpg?1

0kOBSzz.jpg?1

Edited by Wouter

Wow, that is beautiful!  Did you use a drill press to drill through the main rod?

Gaz

Yes I did. See below.

Nice work, Wouter! You should offer the parts for sale, I would take a set!

Thanks Ray, maybe I will...

As promised, my short how to on the antenna's. Putting Albion Alloys fit and slide to use.

y9Vktwy.jpg

Cheers, Wouter