Curious ordnance on Skyraider

quang

Hi guys, 

I'm currently building the 1/32 A-1H Skyraider from Trumpeter.

Can you tell me about the stick-like ordnance these A-1 are wearing? I read somewhere that they are practice dummies. 
A_1_practice_ord.jpg
I'd like to know more about them and maybe get a link to some close-up photos. Can you help me? 

Cheers, 
Quang

Sorry, I don't find what your looking for, I could be wrong, but in my estimation, those are some sort of practice dummy weights to five the pilot a feel for a full ordinance load when the other hard-points are  loaded with live ordinance to practice with.

On the other hand, in looking at the two planes you circled, notice how the lower wing insignias are in fact placed differently!

I figure that gives us more options! ;)

Sorry, I don't find what your looking for, I could be wrong, but in my estimation, those are some sort of practice dummy weights to five the pilot a feel for a full ordinance load when the other hard-points are  loaded with live ordinance to practice with.

On the other hand, in looking at the two planes you circled, notice how the lower wing insignias are in fact placed differently!

I figure that gives us more options! ;)

I think 801 might also be a wide-body Skyraider.

I've got a reply from Tommy Thomason (Mr Tailhook) from another site. They're probably adapter rails for practice rockets.

The photo was taken during USS Forrestal 1957 cruise.

Here's another one for you Tom ;-)

Sk_Y_insignias.jpg

Thanks Kevin, quang!

Looking at the better photo, I believe that you are "dead-on" Kevin.

Also, quang, your better rocket-rail explanation makes perfect sense.

After building the old Revell Navy A-1 and a USAF A1-H Sandy by Italeri, I find myself as attracted to them as much as the Corsairs.

I started out hazarding a guess, and got some very good information myself!

Its weird that on the RD4 the star and bars are out board.  The AH-1 has them in board

One explanation would be that the photo was taken not long after the transition from dark blue to light gull gray/white camouflage.

Star-and-bars on blue ADs was inboard before it migrates outboard on gray/white planes.

One explanation would be that the photo was taken not long after the transition from dark blue to light gull gray/white camouflage.

Star-and-bars on blue ADs was inboard before it migrates outboard on gray/white planes.

So does that mean we have an either/or option?

Or as Kevin suggested, inboard for the single-seater's, outboard for the wider ones?

Edited by Gigant

So does that mean we have an either/or option?

Or as Kevin suggested, inboard for the single-seater's, outboard for the wider ones?

IMO it's a matter of timeline rather than model (single-seater vs fat face). 

The star-and-bars were inboard on the blue Skyraiders and were gradually moved outboard when the camouflage switched from Sea Blue to Light Gull Gray/white in 1955.