Wilhelm Hipperts Jasta 74 "Mimmi"

Out2gtcha

Absolutely stunning result Brian - she'll turn into a showstopper once fnished.

I couldn't believe you retained your sanity after I saw all this masking. I'll raise my hat to you.

Lothar

Stunned into silence!

Wow, just wow!

YES, yes, yes Brian, looks amazing..............cool update.

Regards. Andy

I'm glad you used the Sail color. I chose the same so I know I'm headed in the right direction.

Brian, what a beautiful bird ... I'm so impressed by how convincing your finishes are.  Wish I could do that!

Cheers

Jim

Lothar, Gazzas, Dan, Andy, TJ, Jim, thanks all for the very kind words and for taking the time to post.  Been a bit frustrating the last few days, with all the LSPers using PhotoBucket now coming to the realization that we are SCREWED

Amazingly for whatever reason, my PhotoBucket pics are all still here, but I figure that it is only a matter of time before they get to me, and cut me off. 

I have literally HUNDREDS of pictures and a crap ton of albums on PB.com and its going to take me a long while to pull them all down.

I have managed to get a free 14 day trial of "SmugMug" a pay only 3rd party/linking picture site, so Im uploading a couple pics as a test............

Edited by Out2gtcha

So, spent last night taking care of the touch-ups on the wheels. A quick mashup on the Silhouette cutter, and I had a simple circular mask, with all four stars oriented correctly:

20170629_172745-XL.jpg

Next I just slapped the mask on the wheels and voilà:

20170629_174644-XL.jpg

Then, did the same thing with the vertical stab/rudder cross. In this case, I just took the WnW decals for the cross I wanted, scanned it into my PC, then mashed the two decals for each cross together (they were in separate decals pieces because part of the cross is on the stab, and part on the rudder):

20170629_172756-XL.jpg

No pics of the painted cross yet, as the masking hit most any result until I un-mask later.

Cheers till I figure out what site Im going to be using permanently! 

Dang, that looks nice! I have one of those Silhouette cutters, but sadly it is still in the box. Need to get back to the bench and start playing.

Thanks Ray!  BEST equivalent (traded a Tamiya P-51D I Paid $89 for)  $100 Ive ever spent to be honest.   SO many possibilities with it. I even made a full 1:1 Mopar triple stripe for my 1:1 Jeep with it!  It allows you to cut on material way beyond 60" in length. 

I had the same thought. I knew it could be useful for models, but I only bought it so I could make color-coordinated vinyl window stickers for a few of my cars. Have all the product, just haven't had the time to play with it yet.

Now this is cool. A cutter seems to be a reasonable investment. What exact machine you are using?

Alex

I don't know the exact machine but I can see from his software he's using a Silhouette.

I have a Silhouette Portrait (the cheapest one in the series) and absolutely love it.

https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/shop/machines/portrait

I try to paint everything using this one, but for stencils and nose art etc I usually give in and use decals...

Ray, Alex, Thomas thanks for looking in on me and posting.

Now this is cool. A cutter seems to be a reasonable investment. What exact machine you are using?

Alex

Hi Alex, yes, Thomas is correct, it is Silhouette Portrait cutter. VERY handy, and very inexpensive. Roughly around the $100 USD mark. I sprang for the extra "designer edition" software that allows you to import/export AI/Vector format pics, that can also be very handy. Also came with features like "nesting" so you can make the most out of utilizing your cutting material. 

I don't know the exact machine but I can see from his software he's using a Silhouette.

I have a Silhouette Portrait (the cheapest one in the series) and absolutely love it.

https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/shop/machines/portrait

I try to paint everything using this one, but for stencils and nose art etc I usually give in and use decals...

Indeed Thomas!  Yes its the Portrait, and I love it. Super compact, and yet will still do AI/Vector stuff, along with printing super long images too.  Best money I ever spent modeling wise. 

Brian,

I can't believe I missed a full month of your MOJO build. My apologies  :sorry:  You sure seemed to have rekindled your modeling flame as the Fokker DVII-F is an incredible build. Forget the fact that it's OOB, as that means very little to me. The skills needed to turn injection molded plastic into pieces of Fabric, Wood, and Metal is a skill unto itself, and you've done a incredible job of it.  :wow: the cockpit and BMW engine are each outstanding in execution, but the checkerboard fuselage is just beyond what I had expected  :yahoo:.

I've been putting off buying Silhouette Portrait or Cameo but you've once again shown me  the light. 

Joel

Brian,

I can't believe I missed a full month of your MOJO build. My apologies  :sorry:  You sure seemed to have rekindled your modeling flame as the Fokker DVII-F is an incredible build. Forget the fact that it's OOB, as that means very little to me. The skills needed to turn injection molded plastic into pieces of Fabric, Wood, and Metal is a skill unto itself, and you've done a incredible job of it.  :wow: the cockpit and BMW engine are each outstanding in execution, but the checkerboard fuselage is just beyond what I had expected  :yahoo:.

I've been putting off buying Silhouette Portrait or Cameo but you've once again shown me  the light. 

Joel

Thanks Joel!  Very kind of you to say, and thanks for taking the time to stop by and post. If you do end up getting one Joel, the options it opens up is like a whole new world! 

I dont feel the need to even buy decals anymore for 75% or MORE of the schemes I want to do..............pretty much just 3D/multi layered color graphics that are easier in decals, so going with decals for things like nose art is usually what I do when necessary. 

Well, its on to what its on to!  Not sure what that is, as like most round here, im in the midst of trying to decide what hosting company Id like to go to. Having slogged through all the options, I have concluded I have NO desire to go with any company that offers any sort of free hosting. 

That model seems dead to me, or at least so to be, as evident by PB trying to get rid of it and others like ImageShack removing their free hosting completely. There are maintenance people to pay, server hardware to upkeep, maintain and improve, along with the bandwidth thing that someone has to pay for, and IMHO any service offering "free" hosting is just a ticking time bomb to remove said service so all the previous stuff can be paid for..................

That being said, I am down to two services; ImageShack and SmugMug, both of which are easy, and pro looking, with the edge in overall easy of use and portable apps going to ImageShack IMHO, and the edge is pretty looking, and amount of control going to SmugMug.

The way SmugMug looks is really nice, and you have a ton of options to make your hosting site look like an actual web site you would or could send potential customers to. 

In that vein, I have taken some more pics as I have been working on the D.VII. Back in a min with some progress!!! 

Edited by Out2gtcha

The last couple of days I've been concentrating on DLing all my PB pics.................................close to10Gb of pics and approaching 10,000 files.  YIKES!  Needless to say, I havnt messed with the D.VII since.

Yesterday, I finally got nearly all 10Gb DLed. *WHEW*     Yesterday I also concluded that I really couldn't move forward in the manor I needed to on the D.VII without finishing up the lozenge decals on the wings.

I have actually two sources for these, neither have quite showed up yet, so I was down to a holding pattern on applying the decals. Hopefully 1 of the two options will show tomorrow.

That being said, yesterday I also figured out even if I did have them yesterday, I couldn't apply them as the wings were not yet ready to accept them. I finished putting some Mr Surfacer on the  leading and trailing edges of both wings and sanded that smooth.

Then, I put another coat of Mr Color Sail on, and made some pre-shading with a bit of blotchy application.  After that had dried on both wings, I set out to do a bit of actual pre-shading.
I am not normally a pre-shade guy, but with the advent of the slightly see-through Aviattic lozenge decals, I have seen some very cool looking builds with the ribbing highlighted under the decals.

This is utilizing some very fine kabuki style masking tape I purchased,  shot with some MRP "Nato Black" for the ribbing:

20170703_235244-XL.jpg

20170703_235236-XL.jpg

20170703_235252-XL.jpg

I removed the tape to see what I had:

20170704_000320-XL.jpg

20170704_000333-XL.jpg

20170704_000403-XL.jpg

Im pretty pleased with the outcome, and am anxious to see what it looks like under the Aviattic decals. Next up, today I will give both wings a good glossing with some ultra gloss clear I have on hand, and will let that dry, in time to see at least 1 set of Aviattic lozenge decals show tomorrow. 

I also figured out yesterday that there is no WAY im annealing the OEM PE for the Spandau machine guns!   Looked like crap to me, so.........................I broke down and ordered some of the GasPatch Spandaus witch should also be here tomorrow.

Im actually feeling 1/2 way confident of being able to get the D.VII done before the NATs on the 26th! (maybe) YAY! 

What was the issue with the kit guns?

Just a HUGE PITA. Im not sure what I pictured, but the PE was pretty stiff, and rolling it proved a challenge. You would definitely want to anneal the PE first, and Im afraid that would make it soft enough to roll properly, but would make the delicate mesh of the Spandau jacket susceptible to bending and deforming. The glue joints between the PE parts the the ends of the Spandau didnt look that hot IMHO either.

I've had experience with the GasPatch guns using them on my HpH Walrus. They are little works of art:

DSC03428-XL.jpg

DSC03427-XL.jpg

DSC03426-XL.jpg

DSC04556-XL.jpg

I broke down and ordered a set of GasPatch Spandaus for the D.VII.  Im hoping they are just as immaculate.