The late Edgar Brooks' foil glue formula

ScottsGT

Is this the same stuff?

6e1866b8-29b1-4f38-a275-53dd560a4ca0.jpg

https://www.bunnings.com.au/diggers-125ml-isopropyl-cleaning-alcohol_p1564443

If so, then perhaps the issue is simply one of nomenclature. The only place I've ever seen anything explicitly labelled as 91% Alcohol is a pharmacy.

Kev

Not sure on that one K1, as I hunted all over that bunnings link, and couldn't find a percentage of the isopropyl  solution. That really is the key. At our local mart, they have a 70% isopropyl alcohol solution (pretty standard percentage) and then they have the 91% solution. The latter is quite powerful, and if you expose your skin to it long enough, it will start stripping the top most layer of skin off.

However, it doesnt appear to adversely effect any airbrush parts that I can tell, and Ive been running the MS glue through my work-hoarse Iwata HP-CS for a couple years now.

Its just pretty caustic, and it will generally attack any glue except CA, including MS foil glue, Gators Grip, Future and a host of others. It will also take off acrylics, acrylic lacquers, straight lacquers, enamels and pure water based paints. I havnt found a paint or primer yet that 91% doesn't mar up or completely destroy. 

91% iso is really sold around here as more of a general First-Aid antiseptic. This is what our bottles generally look like, with the percentage pretty clearly marked:

k2-_9b71f83e-4d08-41f0-9cdf-bcfd7c098f08

70% is sold as "rubbing alcohol" around here, and is much less caustic I've found:

31yedk4pMfL.jpg

You are correct though, our local Wal-Mart carries it in their pharmacy area, but with it being a giant mega-mart type place, its as cheap over there as anywhere. 

He did? I have no recollection of that offer being made. But then, I can't remember where I put my car keys, either.

Kev

Here you go!

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=36148&page=2

I actually bought a cheap Harbor Freight airbrush to experiment with this. Now doing a lot of reading, my issue might have been not cleaning my foil.

Here you go!

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=36148&page=2

I actually bought a cheap Harbor Freight airbrush to experiment with this. Now doing a lot of reading, my issue might have been not cleaning my foil.

Ah ha! And there it is. My response to Edgar still holds, though: I just didn't (and still don't) see a need to move away from Micro Foil Adhesive. It's a shame though, in hindsight, that I didn't take him up on the offer, even if only to preserve his formula for posterity.

Kev

Sorry, I meant 91.

Kev, they probably make it expensive in Oz to keep you sots from drinking it. :)

Well, methylated spirits is a form of denatured alcohol, and it's denatured for that very reason! They also mix in additives that induce vomiting if you try to drink it.

Kev

Thanks for that interesting read of an old foiling thread.  I find it interesting how different Brian's way of doing it is to mine.

I probably won't go searching for 91% alcohol.  I haven't needed it so far, and as I paint only one piece of foil at a time to work with, dirtying the airbrush would just be another load of work to contend with.

Gotta get me some Russki Jets...

Gaz

Guys,

I don't want to derail this or anything, but when I followed the link in post 20, it took me to page 2 of Kevin's 2011 thread about foiling.  On page 1 of that thread post #7 by Brian has something very strange going on.  One of the images appears to have been replaced by a "YESIWON" teaser link.  Is this legit?

Here's the actual page, as a shortcut: http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=36148

Guys,

I don't want to derail this or anything, but when I followed the link in post 20, it took me to page 2 of Kevin's 2011 thread about foiling.  On page 1 of that thread post #7 by Brian has something very strange going on.  One of the images appears to have been replaced by a "YESIWON" teaser link.  Is this legit?

Here's the actual page, as a shortcut: http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=36148

Now that's strange. It doesn't look legit to me, and I have no idea how it got there, so I've removed it. If anybody spots any others, please let me know!

Kev

Has anyone looked into the problem of longevity of the adhesive itself? Some glues lose their strength after a number of years. The spray adhesives we buy to glue paper, for example, are not meant to be permanent. It is like rubber cement which falls apart after a number of years. :frantic:

I have at least 1 commission client that has a foiled model ilod m8ne from 2003 or so, still going strong no issues and nothing pulling up any worse than when I gave it to him.

I myself have a couple models on the shelf from 2005 and 2006 with no issues either.

It's less about time witht he MS foil glue, and more that temp and humidity seem to be the culprits that do the most damage, and seem to lead to pulled up edges.