1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

thanks folks :)

so, I went and got a new camera as mine had crud inside it on the lens and there was no way of getting in there - it is only a little point and click digital one so has served me well. Went to the local electronics store and bought literally the last camera they had - apparently as everyone uses their phones there is no market for cheap small cameras.. oh well £60 got me a Sony Cybershot and this post is about trying it out :)

the actual modelling involved is about making the brake lever on the control grip..

this is it, stuck onto a sheet of thicker sheet brass stock..

WIP41_zpsnkmc9fdi.jpg

..I went around the outline with my scalpel through the paper..

WIP42_zps64fyiok6.jpg

..and with a thin cutting wheel on my dremel, I set about gently removing material around the outline..

WIP43_zpscx84busq.jpg

..finished with files & rasps and a sanding pad polish...

WIP44_zpsuznmvczz.jpg

..cut it from the sheet and added the two small bends in it..

WIP45_zpsvvopthc4.jpg

..added the mounting bracket to the grip and fitted it and the back of the gun button..

WIP46_zpstmcyahqk.jpg

WIP49_zpsikvuythm.jpg

..and calling this little bit done..

WIP48_zpsgvtc41yk.jpg

..the pics don't seem too bad I hope you agree, although it is not as quick to focus as my old one..

TTFN

Peter

Well Peter,

Here is another fabulous build you have in work!! It's about the challenge for you...how will I make it, what will I make it out of, can I make it to MY satisfaction?

LOVE IT!

Barry

Peter, you are now my #1 modeling hero.  There are at least 10 guys here at LSP that held this title previously, but right now you rule on what I can never achieve, but still strive to do so.  We all thank you for the inspiration.

As far as the camera pics are concerned, really nice!  It would be a shame to see your skill clouded by so-so pics.

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

shucks thank you folks, I am humbled by the kind things you say - and those are some very kind things :) (not deserved of course...)  :blush: ....I just try my best

anyway - hot tip time...

yesterday I told the family it was International Mens Day - that got me a good solid day at the bench without chores or disturbance :coolio: so I got the control column nearly finished...

surprised they didn't google it, but hey...

..I started with making the pressing that shrouds the control chains that go from the grip to the base of the stick and all the control wires - it's a complicated shape and I pondered how to do it - I tried grinding from solid stock but that failed - in the end I tried emulating the original as a sheet pressing...

again, a paper template to get the original, I added the two sides I would fold up, and here I am trying to cut out the centre for where the column itself will go..

WIP50_zpsvr8u2zye.jpg

..this part has about 2 hours in it - all the time I was terrified I would slip and bend it as it is quite fragile - once you do that it's terminal...

WIP51_zpsihdgjnf6.jpg

..the final part with the column itself - I used reference pics to make exactly what I see...

WIP52_zpsr3b7e8it.jpg

..and the sub-assemblies ready to come together - one fake mini-bolt holds it all together...

WIP53_zpspmlaquf8.jpg

..it was fiddly, but once together, I just put a drop of CA on the retaining nut and it was done..

WIP54_zpsefjvw0xh.jpg

WIP55_zpsbx14rfbv.jpg

..as a bolt was used it moves freely, here we are rolling to the right :piliot:

WIP58_zpsinteh6td.jpg

..I still need to add the back plate and some gubbins at the rear of the grip mounting and then top it off with a curved pressing that rounds off the big lower plate and then it really will be finished..

TTFN

Peter

PS - I am pleased with the new camera - now I have worked out that I need to take pics from a distance and crop the picture to get a close up - not bad at all for £60...